Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Registering a LHD Cali in the UK

powysjune

powysjune

VIP Member
Hello, I've just bought my first ever campervan secondhand, a 2005 LHD Cali Comfortline 2.5tdi with 150K kilometers on the clock. It's beautiful and in immaculate condition but I'm tearing my hair out ploughing through the paperwork needed to get it registered in the UK and hoped someone might be able to advise. Sorry this is rather a long post but I'd really appreciate some help, and have been very impressed with what I've seen on the forum.

The vehicle was imported from Germany last month by the person I bought it from a week ago, and currently has German plates. I have insured it based on the chassis number with Adrian Flux but need to get it MOT'd and registered here before I can drive it in the UK. The insurers need the UK registration number within the next couple of weeks and the more I look into the process of getting it registered and taxed the more confused I get. This is my understanding of what I need to do, based on downloading information from various official websites (e.g. https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... ecognition):

1. Get it MOTd and adapted to meet UK requirements i.e. mean new headlights and a speedo overlay to convert kph to mph. I have bought these and arranged for my local garage to fit them and do the MOT this Thursday.

2. Apply to the VCA under the Mutual Recognition Scheme - I think as a van/light goods vehicle rather than a passenger car, is that right? The VCA guidance offers two options: both require evidence that the vehicle meets UK requirements (invoice showing the work from the garage and a signed statement from me). In addition under Option 1 I'm required to submit an 'Original European Certificate of Conformity (would not be available for a vehicle manufactured before April 2009)' and under Option 2 the 'Original European registration document and Commission Notice letter from the UK vehicle homologation department'.
(http://www.direct.gov.uk/pdfs/apply-com ... e-vans.pdf)

I don't yet have a Certificate of Conformity (the seller says that this, or something similar, is in the post from the original German owner) but the guidance suggests this isn't available for pre 2009 vehicles anyway. So that leaves the UK vehicle homologation department, and I'm starting to feel I've strayed into a George Orwell novel. What do I need to do?

3. Then, if and when I get this certification from the VCA, I think I apply to DVLA on form V55 for a first tax disc and registration of a used motor vehicle. The seller part-filled this out for me - tax class as PLG, type of vehicle as motor caravan. I've been reading on your forum about the issues with Californias being taxed under diesel car vehicle emission regulations rather than as campervans, and how this has now been resolved, but it appears that there were some changes in August 2013 and I'm concerned that because the vehicle will be first registered (in the UK) in 2014, it may get caught in a higher tax band. DVLA's Form V149 (rates of vehicle tax) gives a figure of £225 for 12 months PLG over 1549cc. Do you think that is the category I will fit into?

The owner's manual and all the documentation is in German, which I don't understand, so any hints/tips on Calis for newbies would also be much appreciated!
Thanks in anticipation for your help.

When i registered my American 1991 T25. I insured it via the chassis number, I had the lights changed and the MOT done

I had it's American title. All I had to do was go the local DVLA office pay a sum, present my filled out DVLA form with the MOT and insurance certificate and they sent me the first V5 in the post. I also got a fax of the registration so I could get plates made up.

It was straightforward really.

Hope this helps

James

Hi,

I am facing same issues that you have had. Could you help me on how you have been solving your problem? I couldn't manage to contact you. I would really like to have a phone call if you mind. in case my phone number is 077 1331 25 08.

I have just been posting the below:

"
I have just imported a VW 2013 model California from Germany. I have sent all the documents to DVLA for my first Tax disk. But this has been refused because of the following reasons:
1. My certificate of conformity doesn't state that the vehicle is Left Hand Traffic
2. It doesn't say that it can uses Imperial Units - even if i have added a scan copy of the user manual saying that the speedometer can be converted digitally.

Now they told me that i need to get a Mutual Recognition Certificate through VCA. But for this I need to prove the following:
1. Head lamps: my German garage promised me that specific stickers were sufficient to adjust my lights. but VCA document that needs to be filled to get the Mutual Recognition Certificate is saying that stickers are not allowed. Do i need to change my front lights? it saying that i need UK specific headlights!
2. Speedometer: i have a digital speedometer that can be converted into MPH. But as they don't want a copy of the hand book, how can i prove that it has this fitted?
3. Fog lights are on both sides, same as point 2, how can i prove this without sending a picture as they don't accept a picture?

Last but not least. I am told that I cannot use my vehicules without a proper registration. My temporarty German plates are ending up tomorrow (they have an expiry date on them). Is there a way to use the car anyway? especially to move the car to a garage if new fitting needs to happen.

I am looking forward to your urgent advice as i am completely lost with this.

thanks for your help,
Dom

I have a LHD which I brought over from Germany.

I used the chassis number to get insurance and to get the vehicle MOTed

You need a certificate of conformity.

You do not need to change speedo from Km/hr to MPH. I did though but could have saved a fortune had I known that it was not a requirement.

You do not need to contact VCA either. I did and here is the reply I got back from them:

"Further to your application for a Type Approval certificate, please find
enclosed the documents for your vehicle. The application has been
cancelled because your vehicle is a camper van, with permanent
cooking and sleeping facilities and is currently exempt from the Mutual
Recognition scheme. You will need to speak to the DVLA, telephone
number 0300 790 6802.
A refund for f60 will follow shortly. lf you wish to chase up a refund
payment please call 01 17 952 4155."

Re german manuals. I had a similar problem but is easily solved. Just talk to your VW california van centre and they will order manuals in English for you. I think I paid around 25 pounds.

You will have to get the vehicle inspected by your local DVLA before they issue you with a certificate which will allow you to register it. But do not despair it is pretty straight forward. :D

This attachment is something I found in the Caravan Club magazine which may clarify the tax issue.

Attachments

• car_tax_cal.pdf
    892.2 KB · Views: 25
Back