Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campervan Car Parking Restrictions North Norfolk Coast

stevieb

stevieb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello all

Just returned from North Norfolk our second visit this summer only to be extremely disappointed to find that Campervans / Motor Homes / Caravans have been stopped from parking on any Holkham Estates Car parks.

At first we thought it was for overnight parking only but it means day time parking as well, as told by the attendant who turned us away. He couldn't give a reason why.

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone heading that way as it make access to 2 of the best beaches in the area and Wells Next the Sea town centre very difficult.

Gill & Steve

Hello all

Just returned from North Norfolk our second visit this summer only to be extremely disappointed to find that Campervans / Motor Homes / Caravans have been stopped from parking on any Holkham Estates Car parks.

At first we thought it was for overnight parking only but it means day time parking as well, as told by the attendant who turned us away. He couldn't give a reason why.

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone heading that way as it make access to 2 of the best beaches in the area and Wells Next the Sea town centre very difficult.

Gill & Steve
The California must be a motor car just like the Range Rovers etc that can stay in these car parks. When it was first registered the new owner had to pay a vast premium because of the £40,000+ list price.
Buyers of camper vans etc did not have to pay this fee cos they are different.

I know of course that such an argument that will not be accepted, to car park owners like these we are lumped in with the unacceptable face of travelling.

Interesting, looking at their website, this restriction only came into force on the 17th. Horse boxes are ok though!

A reaction to unauthorised overnighting judging by the comments on their website.

North Norfolk CC run a lovely "Aire" in Burnham Thorpe. A pity a few more don't. Aires and stringent control on unauthorised camping elsewhere could help to limit what appears to be a groundswell of resentment in so many places with motorhomes taking over car parks.

Temporary situation, put in place based on information received I would suggest

First visit to that part of the world this year..... Really impressed. Lots of CLs for CMC members.

Hello

Update on the above

Today received a reply from Holkham Estates

“ The reason for the current restrictions is a real and present risk of an unauthorised encampment being established on our car parks.
These restrictions are being supported by the police. The situation is being reviewed daily and will lift or amend the restriction as necessary. Information found on our website. We are considering a number of options for the long term.”

Fingers crossed a solution can be found.

Steve & Gill

The California must be a motor car just like the Range Rovers etc that can stay in these car parks. When it was first registered the new owner had to pay a vast premium because of the £40,000+ list price.
Buyers of camper vans etc did not have to pay this fee cos they are different.

I know of course that such an argument that will not be accepted, to car park owners like these we are lumped in with the unacceptable face of travelling.
Think that you are incorrect as Motorhomes are M1SP category which is in the same category as the Cali M1 for VED rating.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...11/ved-reform-briefing-for-motor-industry.pdf

From the above information, if I was following a T6 van or Caravelle into Holkham Estates they would be let in but I wouldn't.

At the end of the day Holkham Estates can deny access to whoever they like or don't like!

No chance of a Cali meet/encampment at Holkham estate then

We live in North Cambridgeshire and most car parks and open spaces are blocked off at the moment due to gypsies/ pikeys. They arrive on mass and leave councils with thousands of pounds of clear up charges.

Have you seen some of the pictures online of White Whales taking over car parks...?

Whitby now have a ban and I can appreciate why.
What a sight!
Why do they all park together and create such an awful sight.
Surely the real purpose of the motorhome is escape the masses.

744A8533-B292-4154-A517-9CC08B6FBB52.jpeg

The best way to tackle this lot is, a 2m barrier and/or create aires with a small fee and limited numbers. No pre-booking turn up and ticket.

How hard would it be to have toilets and waste disposal.

£10 a night.
Bringing in revenue for the council and customers to local businesses.

Think that you are incorrect as Motorhomes are M1SP category which is in the same category as the Cali M1 for VED rating.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...11/ved-reform-briefing-for-motor-industry.pdf

From the above information, if I was following a T6 van or Caravelle into Holkham Estates they would be let in but I wouldn't.
Most if not all conversions get round the problem by registering as private goods vehicles and fail to include the CO2 figures in the registration document, the tax is then £255, the IR has still not closed this loophole.

That looks like a dealers forecourt.
Is it real? Unbelievable .

Unfortunately, yes.
Another spot is the Sealife Centre at Scarbs. I was surfing round there a couple of weeks back. A mate and I got chatting to another surfer and we went for a pint with him at Scalby Mills.
From there you can see the motorhomes camping in the carpark. Must have been 50 vans in there.

They are now taking action to prevent the WW camping there overnight.

I can’t understand it, plenty of nice quiet places only a stones throw away
If they spread out and found their own spots, it wouldn’t be an issue

C4379F56-7BBA-4FDE-874E-217CA451B602.jpeg

Its simply a short term measure, even our travelling friends like to have a holiday by the sea, unfortunately

Its simply a short term measure, even our travelling friends like to have a holiday by the sea, unfortunately
Worthing Waitrose seems popular at the moment! Lots of grumbling in the checkout queue!!

Worthing Waitrose seems popular at the moment! Lots of grumbling in the checkout queue!!

and the "no parking after 10pm" notices at Goring Gap are cheerfully being ignored.

Seems to be some confusion on this thread, between issues of unauthorised occupation of car parks by gypsies/travellers, ie as part of their lifestyle, and by holidaying MH/campervan owners. Both are potential problems, if you're a resident, but I think it would be helpful to be clear when we're talking about one or the other (and also BTW not refer to gypsies/travellers by racial slurs).

Although a Cali is usually less visually obtrusive than a Great White (why are they always white?) we're also part of the issue. Just like when we all say we're 'stuck in traffic' (no, we are traffic!).

Of course the MH/campervan fraternity could adopt some kind of code of conduct - eg, "If you find you're the fifth van that's turned up at a car park or beauty spot, go away and find somewhere else". But I guess that's not going to happen so I'd expect more and more places will have to impose restrictions.

But go on, what 'rules' could we adopt as Cali owners, to set an example??

Seems to be some confusion on this thread, between issues of unauthorised occupation of car parks by gypsies/travellers, ie as part of their lifestyle, and by holidaying MH/campervan owners. Both are potential problems, if you're a resident, but I think it would be helpful to be clear when we're talking about one or the other (and also BTW not refer to gypsies/travellers by racial slurs).

Although a Cali is usually less visually obtrusive than a Great White (why are they always white?) we're also part of the issue. Just like when we all say we're 'stuck in traffic' (no, we are traffic!).

Of course the MH/campervan fraternity could adopt some kind of code of conduct - eg, "If you find you're the fifth van that's turned up at a car park or beauty spot, go away and find somewhere else". But I guess that's not going to happen so I'd expect more and more places will have to impose restrictions.

But go on, what 'rules' could we adopt as Cali owners, to set an example??
They could just put up 2 m height barriers and that would solve most of these problems, not very satisfactory for potential California Grand owners though.

They could just put up 2 m height barriers and that would solve most of these problems, not very satisfactory for potential California Grand owners though.

Also not good for wheelchair users as some wheelchair-adapted cars are more than 2m high.

I had quite a lengthy discussion on a facebook group about a potental campervan code of conduct. There was some great ideas in there but the general consensus is that the folks that are a problem now wouldn't take any notice of such a voluntary code but at least we could be happy knowing we did.

There was ideas of hire companies using a code as hire vehicles are often the ones you see in odd places :)

Back