Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date fiasco from VW

We’ve cancelled. We ordered a factory built BMW about 10 days ago and the dealer called me Friday to say it’s expected with them early March!!
That’s off topic, we all got told off for mentioning BMWs in this thread earlier this weekend.

It's no fib. There's a real issue. It all depends on your spec. I've now finalised and I needed to removed the uprated battery - nothing more. Mine is 'fully spec'd' but my 'fully spec'd', I guarantee, will be far from your 'fully spec'd'. I'm now the 67th 204 on the list to be built so looking at a March build.

I'd suggest you stay close to your dealer and get them to do the chasing as the system chat use isn't correct with regard to the 204's.
Chat are a waste of space. In fact them telling us we may have to wait until July or August was the final nail in the coffin and changed our minds on the whole thing.

It's no fib. There's a real issue. It all depends on your spec. I've now finalised and I needed to removed the uprated battery - nothing more. Mine is 'fully spec'd' but my 'fully spec'd', I guarantee, will be far from your 'fully spec'd'. I'm now the 67th 204 on the list to be built so looking at a March build.

I'd suggest you stay close to your dealer and get them to do the chasing as the system chat use isn't correct with regard to the 204's.
That ties in with what I’ve been told by my dealer. April build, no idea what number on the list, but I ordered Oct so a month or so after you I think. VW chat useless, info from dealer has been regular and reliable thus far.

Chat are a waste of space. In fact them telling us we may have to wait until July or August was the final nail in the coffin and changed our minds on the whole thing.
You should have stuck with it and been realistic knowing build could be anywhere between 3-12 months. Even when I ordered in September I knew from reading the forums that build time could be somewhat erratic. Take worst case, get delivered sooner, bonus. If you really really wanted a California, you would have stuck with it.

You should have stuck with it and been realistic knowing build could be anywhere between 3-12 months. Even when I ordered in September I knew from reading the forums that build time could be somewhat erratic. Take worst case, get delivered sooner, bonus. If you really really wanted a California, you would have stuck with it.
Is 12+ months “realistic”? Dealer told us “by the end of the year” when we ordered. If we’d have been given any idea it would be 12 months we would have bought a used one. Your last sentence says it all - maybe we didn’t really want one that badly after all? I did. Wife didn’t. I tried to bring her round to the idea but with all the delays and lack of info we decided against it. If and when we want to get one it will be used. VW have been poor, in our case anyway. We don’t even know the spec of the vehicle for goodness sake!

Is 12+ months “realistic”? Dealer told us “by the end of the year” when we ordered. If we’d have been given any idea it would be 12 months we would have bought a used one. Your last sentence says it all - maybe we didn’t really want one that badly after all? I did. Wife didn’t. I tried to bring her round to the idea but with all the delays and lack of info we decided against it. If and when we want to get one it will be used. VW have been poor, in our case anyway. We don’t even know the spec of the vehicle for goodness sake!
Much of this boils down to the dealer. Don’t know who you went with or when you ordered but sounds like they’ve been poor. I was told at point of order that the 199 was becoming the 204, build wouldn’t start until week 6 and that details wouldn’t be available until very close to that time. Also told to expect late March/April delivery which, given the pandemic situation, I‘m happy to accept an Apr build, May delivery as more than acceptable accuracy. Of course, actual delivery is yet to be seen but everything else is in line with what was communicated at point of order. So I think your choice of dealer could perhaps have been better and that, combined with your obvious lack of confidence in purchasing a campervan rather than a car, is the real issue here. Lots rave about DtD / AutoEbid etc., and I wonder if that is a factor with your order, but their prices can be beaten and a proper customer / dealer established.

Much of this boils down to the dealer. Don’t know who you went with or when you ordered but sounds like they’ve been poor. I was told at point of order that the 199 was becoming the 204, build wouldn’t start until week 6 and that details wouldn’t be available until very close to that time. Also told to expect late March/April delivery which, given the pandemic situation, I‘m happy to accept an Apr build, May delivery as more than acceptable accuracy. Of course, actual delivery is yet to be seen but everything else is in line with what was communicated at point of order. So I think your choice of dealer could perhaps have been better and that, combined with your obvious lack of confidence in purchasing a campervan rather than a car, is the real issue here. Lots rave about DtD / AutoEbid etc., and I wonder if that is a factor with your order, but their prices can be beaten and a proper customer / dealer established.
We went with Preston after many good reports! Our company car goes back in April which is why we ordered in early September to make sure we weren’t without a car. But it was looking increasingly likely that would happen. I spoke to VW about this issue but they never offered any help/advice at all. I have not been impressed with them, from VWCV CS, the chat or the dealer. It was the most we’ve ever spent on a vehicle but we just felt like another van customer. Maybe I should have had lower expectations.
It’s a real shame, I’m still gutted but deep down I know it’s the right thing for us, at this moment in time. I’m still hanging around here as I’m genuinely interested in what’s going on and hope those of you that have 204’s on order get it sorted soon.

We went with Preston after many good reports! Our company car goes back in April which is why we ordered in early September to make sure we weren’t without a car. But it was looking increasingly likely that would happen. I spoke to VW about this issue but they never offered any help/advice at all. I have not been impressed with them, from VWCV CS, the chat or the dealer. It was the most we’ve ever spent on a vehicle but we just felt like another van customer. Maybe I should have had lower expectations.
It’s a real shame, I’m still gutted but deep down I know it’s the right thing for us, at this moment in time. I’m still hanging around here as I’m genuinely interested in what’s going on and hope those of you that have 204’s on order get it sorted soon.
Can only do what’s right for you buddy. And don’t get me wrong, no ones rolled out the red carpet for me, I would expect no less if I was buying a £20k car; I’m very happy with the dealer, haven’t spoken to VWCC direct (but haven’t needed to) and find VW chat to be a complete waste of time. Cali’s will still be around in a few years time so it‘s not a now or never. Hope the Beamer delivers what you a re looking for.

That ties in with what I’ve been told by my dealer. April build, no idea what number on the list, but I ordered Oct so a month or so after you I think. VW chat useless, info from dealer has been regular and reliable thus far.
Tom at Breeze has been brilliant with updates for me. He never over promised and was always realistic and open from the outset.

On Thursday I got a confirmed build date of week 9 the first week in March (and on the same day my first COVID jab!!). I feel uneasy listening to all the stories thinking if my confirmed date is likely to change, I guess my only option is to call again for further confirmation but I am reluctant to do that. My dealer is JCT in Hull and whilst the sales executive who sold me the vehicle is a nice guy and does try I don’t think JCT have a lot of clout nor do they seem to be on the ball. My guy is also on holiday, or is that really another word for furlough, but I have heard nothing from his boss who seems never to be furloughed. i am waiting until tomorrow to see if someone phones me to give me the good news about a confirmed build date...if I don’t get a call I might have to ask some serous questions of the supplier about customer relations.

Tom at Breeze has been brilliant with updates for me. He never over promised and was always realistic and open from the outset.
I can also say that, Tom, who over the last few years has sold me 3 Californias has been brilliant on keeping me up to date on a weekly basis, normally on a Thursday.

On Thursday I got a confirmed build date of week 9 the first week in March (and on the same day my first COVID jab!!). I feel uneasy listening to all the stories thinking if my confirmed date is likely to change, I guess my only option is to call again for further confirmation but I am reluctant to do that. My dealer is JCT in Hull and whilst the sales executive who sold me the vehicle is a nice guy and does try I don’t think JCT have a lot of clout nor do they seem to be on the ball. My guy is also on holiday, or is that really another word for furlough, but I have heard nothing from his boss who seems never to be furloughed. i am waiting until tomorrow to see if someone phones me to give me the good news about a confirmed build date...if I don’t get a call I might have to ask some serous questions of the supplier about customer relations.
Update well I have now got confirmation from my dealer (after calling him!) that I do have a week 9 build slot...phew, progress at last. Let’s hope there are no more hold ups..best wishes to you all

That’s off topic, we all got told off for mentioning BMWs in this thread earlier this weekend.
Not quite sure what to make of that as I already replied but you edited your comment! Not sure if you're joking or not, but I actually started this thread and no one has told me off!!!

Update well I have now got confirmation from my dealer (after calling him!) that I do have a week 9 build slot...phew, progress at last. Let’s hope there are no more hold ups..best wishes to you all
That's great news mate, did they say it was confirmed?

Email confirmation from Dealer. 204 4Mo Ocean ordered 24/09/20 and accepted 05/10/20. My order was also an ‘overweight’ build amended 04/02/21.

“Your vehicle is No.53 in the plan and due for build in month March and delivered in April.

I’ll take that. No greater precision required, at this point.

Neary cracked a beer on a school night!

Ironically, exactly where I originally wanted it - before the early promise of 31/12/20 and the 199/204 engine uncertainty.

More dealers should be communicating this week and next I’d say. The email is clear and the process of prioritisation by “tagging date” (which I assume is ‘order accepted by factory date’) is confirmed as the way builds are being planned.

Good luck all,

SB

Exciting for you. I ordered 1st Dec 20. 204 Sports. I was told by my dealer, expect nothing until they call me & expect early spring. But couldn't resist VW chat. Mine has not been listed yet for build. I just hope its here for summer and I guess I currently can't go anywhere anyway.
We will all have a story this year to tell on the campsites. lol

Was onto VW Chat earlier today, confirmed (code 20) build week 9 (1st March). Based on build / shipping time, delivery to Van Centre estimated to be by end April. No mention of any weight / payload related issues, so assume my spec all good. The Van Centre has also confirmed the same in this evening. Now we can start looking for stuff to buy for it.

Email confirmation from Dealer. 204 4Mo Ocean ordered 24/09/20 and accepted 05/10/20. My order was also an ‘overweight’ build amended 04/02/21.

“Your vehicle is No.53 in the plan and due for build in month March and delivered in April.

I’ll take that. No greater precision required, at this point.

Neary cracked a beer on a school night!

Ironically, exactly where I originally wanted it - before the early promise of 31/12/20 and the 199/204 engine uncertainty.

More dealers should be communicating this week and next I’d say. The email is clear and the process of prioritisation by “tagging date” (which I assume is ‘order accepted by factory date’) is confirmed as the way builds are being planned.

Good luck all,

SB
Was it the larger fuel tank that got removed from your spec?

Ok thanks, I’m guessing I’ll have the same, but I’m not loosing me mud flaps!! I’ll ditch the floor if need be

Was onto VW Chat earlier today, confirmed (code 20) build week 9 (1st March). Based on build / shipping time, delivery to Van Centre estimated to be by end April. No mention of any weight / payload related issues, so assume my spec all good. The Van Centre has also confirmed the same in this evening. Now we can start looking for stuff to buy for it.
Hi Lain, I have that week as well, sister vans...lol......what do you have in mind to buy....a lot of things out of stock

Just spoke to my dealer and apparently there is a zoom call with VW marketing next Tuesday morning. I still have no build date and ordered week 1 October. Dealer has no idea what is happening and hopes this call will answer a lot of questions. they are frustrated as they are selling nothing. Sounds like the factory has significant issues to me. Why all the secrecy from VW? It does not generate any trust. If you tried to write a fictional account of the worst customer service for people wanting to spend crazy money on these vehicles you probably couldn’t get close to the reality. Ffs.

Back