Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date fiasco from VW

Anyone know what the average range of the standard 60L tank is on a 4M with the lager engine , travelling at 70-80 mph across France for example
15 gallons x 28mpg = 420miles?
(Depending on your driving style you should just about make that - VW figs are 29-32mpg... but if you’re hammering across France at 90mph...)

Last edited:
on 255 wide tyres at 95mph you could be as low as 22-25mpg & you dont want to run out so you've got to leave a gallon or two in the tank. So effective range more like 325

Anyone know what the average range of the standard 60L tank is on a 4M with the lager engine , travelling at 70-80 mph across France for examp
Thought the standard was 70 ltr and option 80ltr
on 255 wide tyres at 95mph you could be as low as 22-25mpg & you dont want to run out so you've got to leave a gallon or two in the tank. So effective range more like 325
Looks like I’ll be having a few more fuel stops in the van and sticking to 130kph on the auto routes... unless I’m running late for the train, doesn't everyone speed up in the last 100k..

I havnt found out where it is yet on a 199 or even if there is one. but my 140 engine had a sweet spot at about 138kmh.
Using the instant fuel consumption read out you could see just an extra kmh would really hit the consumption hard, but up to that point the speed didn't make a huge amount of difference. I thought it must be where the turbo had to kick in, below that point it was off boost once up to speed and cruising.

Hi,

My update today is a that i have a new provisional build week of 30, this is apparently unrelated to the 199-204 change but as a result of a shortage of components needed for the 4-motion configuration. The usual "this date can move forwards as well as back" still applies, but week 30 is still the furthest out i have seen and if it holds true then that will be a 12 month lead time from order to delivery.

Apparently this shortage has only been understood fully this week, hence the late adjustment in schedules.

Hi,

My update today is a that i have a new provisional build week of 30, this is apparently unrelated to the 199-204 change but as a result of a shortage of components needed for the 4-motion configuration. The usual "this date can move forwards as well as back" still applies, but week 30 is still the furthest out i have seen and if it holds true then that will be a 12 month lead time from order to delivery.

Apparently this shortage has only been understood fully this week, hence the late adjustment in schedules.
interesting, just been told this morning that my 4motion beach has moved from week 11 to week 10, dealer was fresh off the phone with the factory with this news today.

Touring. Need that for the dogs. Rear opening window a great feature for the dogs too.
Sadly though it has no bed, fridge, cooker or auxiliary heater, but I’ve got a Portapotty that I bought for the Cali, I can fold the seats down and use a sleeping bag, and a portable gas stove.....or just stay in a hotel lol :D
Still want a California though....

Been told this week our 4M ordered in December should be with us in July
I'm sure the goalposts will shift left and right a bit in the meantime, but it will be worth the wait eh?

I'm sure the goalposts will shift left and right a bit in the meantime, but it will be worth the wait eh?
Definitely, dealer said it’s being built in June, and I’m not loosing the larger fuel tank, whop whop!

Not been active for a while...but just got a build date via chat for my September ordered 4motion Cali of wk 9 (1st March) with possible delivery date of mid April.....
Is that a confirmed status 20 week 9?

Just called Eurovans (who tell me they have over 100 California's on order currently).
Ben said they've just this afternoon received a new 'list' showing months in which orders will be built. Apparently that is a commitment from the factory, and Eurovans will be letting all customers know their month early next week.
Mine is April...so perhaps delivery in May. Could be good timing...

I'm with Ben at Eurovans too, good news that they have a list at last, amazing that just the one dealer has over 100 calis on order. I think they gave the best discounts on Drive the Deal and Autoebid, and so hoovered up all the orders for London and the SE.

I have a confirmed week 9 build week also, I ordered mid August so it seems they are ramping things up now fingers crossed it arrive just as we get a little easing of restrictions
On some level it appears that there is some correlation between order/acceptance dates on 204's and build dates? Aug/Early Sept orders = Week 9. Late sept/Early Oct = Week 10. Comments?

I'm with Ben at Eurovans too, good news that they have a list at last, amazing that just the one dealer has over 100 calis on order. I think they gave the best discounts on Drive the Deal and Autoebid, and so hoovered up all the orders for London and the SE.
It was a great discount, but I think their customer service suffers as a result. Even so, it was worth my £8,000 options bill being free of charge...

On some level it appears that there is some correlation between order/acceptance dates on 204's and build dates? Aug/Early Sept orders = Week 9. Late sept/Early Oct = Week 10. Comments?
Well as above they seem to be allocating build months now rather than weeks. My 8 October order has been given April build, which would be I think weeks 18 - 22...

My Coast order was made on November 18th and I have Build Week 10, ie March 8th - at least provisionally. So it seems they have had a surge of orders and are now cracking on at the factory.
Will wait to see if reality matches the promise though !

I have an early Sept 204 order and I was told next week (Week 7) by my dealer yesterday - but I'm treating that with a bit of healthy scepticism until it's actually being built as week 9/10 seems the common theme.

Well as above they seem to be allocating build months now rather than weeks. My 8 October order has been given April build, which would be I think weeks 18 - 22...
If 8th Oct is considered mid Oct, it would correlate. April build = weeks 13 to 16.

If 8th Oct is considered mid Oct, it would correlate. April build = weeks 13 to 16.
Orders in Mid to late Oct = build weeks 16 through 18. Late Oct/early Nov = 18-20. Mid to late Nov = 20-22, Late Nov/Early Dec = 22-24. Mid to late Dec = 24-26. Late Dec/Early Jan = 26-28. So order Jan21 = Build in July, deliver August. ??????

Orders in Mid to late Oct = build weeks 16 through 18. Late Oct/early Nov = 18-20. Mid to late Nov = 20-22, Late Nov/Early Dec = 22-24. Mid to late Dec = 24-26. Late Dec/Early Jan = 26-28. So order Jan21 = Build in July, deliver August. ??????
I’ve been told my 204 mid Nov order should be built some time in May (weeks 17-21) with a potential June delivery.. That’s from the dealer ‘list’ info... maybe they’ll narrow the specific week down at some point if the goalposts don’t change again. I can’t believe the MPG / emissions data for the vehicle still hasn’t been released.

I have an early Sept 204 order and I was told next week (Week 7) by my dealer yesterday - but I'm treating that with a bit of healthy scepticism until it's actually being built as week 9/10 seems the common theme.
Wow week 7 and ordered in Sept...hope all goes well...I have to say that I do hope they have built a few of these before going into full production, normally they are built and fully tested ...track driven etc .... and pushed to the limit to make sure there are no weak areas, I do worry that the pressure to deliver (including pressure from me) does not result in a sub standard product Especially at this price. No doubt if there are any issue that develop there will very quickly be a dedicated forum established to debate, complain and advertise issues and how VW resolved any issues, I sold my X5 yesterday ready for our new arrival late April...slowly getting excited...lol

Back