Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date fiasco from VW

As if by magic (and as regular as clockwork) my 17/09/20 order, assigned to factory on 5/10/20 for a 204 Ocean 4Motion, is back from the brink(00) with another provisional build week of 10 this afternoon (w/c 08/03/21). After advice from VW Chat this morning, contacted the dealer for the first time in nearly 5 months. He kindly sent a screenshot of the order details. Also, mentioned that a build week 10 should arrive at the dealership in April...who knows.

Just got another update and moved from week 10 to 11 this week. Think that's positive though since its not moved significantly. Any march/april build sounds amazing to us compared to the week 20+ dates.

Details for the new 204ps(150kw) engine are available on the german configurator. Just me being nosy since my order is 150 but may help if your keen to know before VW UK publish them.

Just got another update and moved from week 10 to 11 this week. Think that's positive though since its not moved significantly. Any march/april build sounds amazing to us compared to the week 20+ dates.

Details for the new 204ps(150kw) engine are available on the german configurator. Just me being nosy since my order is 150 but may help if your keen to know before VW UK publish them.
Do you have the stats or a link to the site I can’t seem to find it

For some reason it doesn't load on my laptop but heres a screen shot from the ipad

20210205_174341.jpg

20210205_174414.jpg

For some reason it doesn't load on my laptop but heres a screen shot from the ipad

View attachment 72992

View attachment 72993
Well it seems to me that when compared to the 199 it now returns 40mpg compared to 31.2mpg and emissions have gone from 237g/km to 186g/km......that is if I have understood it correctly ,,, a great improvement on the face of it.....let’s see what the UK figure say when they are published.

if I got it wrong let me know as I had to use Google Translate as I don’t speak or read German..lol

As if by magic (and as regular as clockwork) my 17/09/20 order, assigned to factory on 5/10/20 for a 204 Ocean 4Motion, is back from the brink(00) with another provisional build week of 10 this afternoon (w/c 08/03/21). After advice from VW Chat this morning, contacted the dealer for the first time in nearly 5 months. He kindly sent a screenshot of the order details. Also, mentioned that a build week 10 should arrive at the dealership in April...who knows.
This gives me some hope as a late September order. I’m going to hold off until Monday for a further update from VW though.

Well it seems to me that when compared to the 199 it now returns 40mpg compared to 31.2mpg and emissions have gone from 237g/km to 186g/km......that is if I have understood it correctly ,,, a great improvement on the face of it.....let’s see what the UK figure say when they are published.

if I got it wrong let me know as I had to use Google Translate as I don’t speak or read German..lol
40mpg (combined?) would be incredible when the RDE2 150 returns 35mpg

Agree the 20 mile thing is not a problem, obviously, I was just comparing. It’s more than that for sure. I love Cali’s and everything they are about. It’s just not right for us - at this moment in time (we had lots of time to consider this even though we’d put an order in). I’m not Pro BMW or anti VW. Andy in Luton seems to be but the other way round with his comments and obviously hasn’t followed my posts. Those that have, have been supportive and I thank you for that. I am sad and gutted that we are not getting one yet, I really am, and I hope to stay an active member on here as long as I’m not ridiculed for daring to mention anything negative about VW or California’s! (Or positive about BMW!!)
You can't go wrong with the new 6cylinder BMs :thumb

I make it 33.23mpg combined if its 8.5l/100km
I'm reading combined fuel economy as 8.0l/100km which equates to 35.31 mpg

I would like to know what the '4' suffix corresponds to against all those data points. Is this provisional data?

Well no doubt all will become clear one day !

Can't help with the conversions but heres point 4. No idea what it says either! The consumption is related to weight though and the German base config is different so just a guide.

20210205_192842.jpg

Thinking and tyres/wheels also influence them so not sure how relevant the consumption figures are!

Thinking and tyres/wheels also influence them so not sure how relevant the consumption figures are!
It’s there to help you compare vehicles. Tyre/wheel changes will alter fuel consumption slightly on any vehicle

It’s there to help you compare vehicles. Tyre/wheel changes will alter fuel consumption slightly on any vehicle
The configurator adjusts the fuel economy though as you change options i.e. if they add weight or change tyre to all season for instance the consumption figures presented in the tech tab will reduce. The ones I posted were just for a german base spec ocean in 204 form (not 4 motion). So they will not be accurate unless I guess you input your exact UK config. The torque/power ranges I would assume are relevant regardless of your configuration though.

The configurator adjusts the fuel economy though as you change options i.e. if they add weight or change tyre to all season for instance the consumption figures presented in the tech tab will reduce. The ones I posted were just for a german base spec ocean in 204 form (not 4 motion). So they will not be accurate unless I guess you input your exact UK config. The torque/power ranges I would assume are relevant regardless of your configuration though.
29886BBE-5230-4376-8FB2-55DC9984B2B0.png
Ah yes! Nice...no wonder it takes so long to obtain all the figures....

We ordered ours in September, at that point we were told to expect delivery end of January/early February. We were then notified by the dealer that because of ordering issues and the 204 ps change over we would be looking at end of April/early May. I then received a call at weekend saying that the vehicle is being built middle of March by the factory and we will receive delivery by middle of April. We can defer it till first week in March if we wish. VW chat have just told me our Cali has a build date of middle of May! They did however state that it may come forward or be delayed. It's a bit of a moveable feast though at the moment! Starting to get slightly irritated if I'm honest.

What spec did you order? I’m in the boat where i’ve nothing confirmed as yet but I do know from VW CS that some configurations aren’t available with the new 204 engine due to excess weight. ‘Until they put them into the factory, they don’t know which orders are affected’ to quote them. Surely they must know what spec items work and those that don’t!? Or is that just too plain simple to work out?
I think this may be a little bit of a fib from the dealer to give you a vehicle thats coming through that doesn't quite meet your spec. I may be wrong but I have a fully spec'd 204 with pretty much everything on it and I've been told to expect it middle of April with no questions asked.

So after ordering in September we finally got an unconfirmed build date of week 10 last Friday. Time to celebrate? Sadly not, as today VW Chat have now said our unconfirmed build date is now week 23 :mad:
What are they playing at? We were originally told (by the dealer) delivery by the end of 2020, then March 2021, now August/September??? This is ridiculous now and I have to be honest and say I'm now seriously starting to doubt the whole thing. I've been really positive and excited about it for ages, but these setbacks are diminishing my enthusiasm for sure. Had a bad day at work today so it wasn't the best time to find out this news, so I'll sleep on it but at this moment in time I'm seriously considering pulling the plug...

Anyone else feel let down by VW too? This is very poor CS. I've not had one phone call from my dealer since ordering, I've done all the chasing. I'm going to email him tomorrow and be polite but I'll certainly express my anger/disappointment - not that they'll care. I'm not important, I'm only spending £75k+ :rolleyes:

I've had BMW's and Audi's in the past and the ownership experience (apart from the rip-off servicing!) has been exceptional, as has the build quality, ride, reliability, performance and overall running costs. If only BMW made a Campervan......
Feel your pain. each time i ask vw its not even on the build run at the factory. mine is supposed to be ready for spring. i have to remind myself its a first world problem but ive personally waited 25 years for this. Deep breaths, you'll get it soon enough.

I think this may be a little bit of a fib from the dealer to give you a vehicle thats coming through that doesn't quite meet your spec. I may be wrong but I have a fully spec'd 204 with pretty much everything on it and I've been told to expect it middle of April with no questions asked.

It's no fib. There's a real issue. It all depends on your spec. I've now finalised and I needed to removed the uprated battery - nothing more. Mine is 'fully spec'd' but my 'fully spec'd', I guarantee, will be far from your 'fully spec'd'. I'm now the 67th 204 on the list to be built so looking at a March build.

I'd suggest you stay close to your dealer and get them to do the chasing as the system chat use isn't correct with regard to the 204's.

Feel your pain. each time i ask vw its not even on the build run at the factory. mine is supposed to be ready for spring. i have to remind myself its a first world problem but ive personally waited 25 years for this. Deep breaths, you'll get it soon enough.
We’ve cancelled. We ordered a factory built BMW about 10 days ago and the dealer called me Friday to say it’s expected with them early March!!

Back