Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another request for advice...

Topdog

Topdog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

So first of all I'd just like to say hi as I've just joined and already the information here has been a great help. I'm thinking of placing an order for a new California SE. I'm just trying to work the right deal with a couple of main dealers I'm talking to. I'd like to ask for some advice on the spec as I'm sure this is all important when ordering new. My current spec I've decided on so far is:

Olympian Blue
DSG 180 4 Motion
Side awning with tent adapters
Touring pack
Tyre pressure sensors
Safe

That's the options I'm thinking of so far, however I have questions regarding some other options. The sales staff at VW I have spoken to have very little knowledge of the Cali and even less knowledge of the options. I am astounded that a vehicle of this value is sold by people who obviously have no training in what they are selling. So as I'm struggling to find information, I'm hoping that you fine people may be able to answer the questions that the VW professionals seem unable to answer. Apologies if these questions have already been asked.

Xenons - Do they make such a difference?
Speed sensitive power steering - Is this worthwhile?
Multi function display - What is this? No one seems to be able to tell me.
Leather steering wheel & gaiter - Does the Cali not come with this as standard? If not is this a good option?
Leather seat options - Having read a few things on here, am I better to go after market for this? What I really don't understand... and it seems no salesman can tell me is what is the difference between the two. Apart from
Chrome pack - what does this include?
Electric door - I know it beeps, is it just toy or is it useful?
Comfort mattress - Do I need this??
Aux heater - Is the standard heater enough or do you need this?

I'm also amazed the Cali does not come with an electric parking brake, do we know is there a newer model coming any time soon? I will be changing my lovely Audi A4 Avant 3.0 quatro S line for this "van". How are they as a daily driver please? All comments welcome, I'm hoping some prior preparation and planning in getting the spec right will result in me & my good lady being happy campers! :thanks

Xenons - Do they make such a difference?

Yes

Speed sensitive power steering - Is this worthwhile?

Probably not but may give a more car like feel

Multi function display - What is this? No one seems to be able to tell me.

The display between the dials - go for colour - cheap option and gives a nice look

Leather steering wheel & gaiter - Does the Cali not come with this as standard? If not is this a good option?

Not sure on this, I am going to say yes

Leather seat options - Having read a few things on here, am I better to go after market for this?

Go aftermarket - better value, more personalisation - VW UK don't offer the full range of leather on RHD vehicles anyway

What I really don't understand... and it seems no salesman can tell me is what is the difference between the two. Apart from

Chrome pack - what does this include?

I imagine similar to the Chrome Pack on the Caravlle - chrome surrounds for the fogs and strip down the side and across the boot.

Electric door - I know it beeps, is it just toy or is it useful?

It wouldn't be on my wish list, I think they better on a vehicle like a Caravelle but they have their supporters

Comfort mattress - Do I need this??

Yes

Aux heater - Is the standard heater enough or do you need this?

Not really sure on this, parking heater is standard - if you mean aux coolant heater for pre engine heating then I would have thought this was standard on the Cali, if not, I'd spec it.

Also add Climtronic - should be standard, gives some useful features.

People will tell you it drives like a car, it doesn't it drives like a van but... The full Cali is very refined, the chassis and the steering are excellent and give lots of feedback. If you don't like pitch and roll then ask the deal to fit factory lowering springs. You can feel the weight pulling away but as a daily driver I don't find it a problem, it will never have the responsiveness of lightness of a car but it does have a fantastic driving position and it feels very safe, DSG I think a wise choice.

It also comes with a free 'smile on your face' and a sense at least you're not following the herd and making an imaginative and alternative daily transport choice :)

James

I would seriously find another dealer.
SMG Tonbridge were excellent and very knowledgeable when we bought ours this time last year, and I'm sure Cowfold branch are too (Alex is regularly on here)
I don't know where you live but there are several other recommended dealers on this forum as well.
If you are spending 50k plus on a vehicle that needs a minimum 2 hour handover just to run though the basic operation, then you want someone who knows what they are doing. We had already spent a couple of hours sitting in them and looking at all the non electrical functions before purchase and it still took most of a Saturday morning to have everything else explained to us ( very thoroughly).
Likewise,if the dealers sales staff have no idea, will the service staff behind the scenes be any better?
Can't comment on most of your queries other than the mattress - a comfort mattress or after market version is essential for most people as the basic one is very hard - your good lady will thank you for it.

Be prepared for the 4 month wait - you're not likely to be doing any spring camping ordering now, unless you buy the dealers demo model from under him before he has even shown it to anyone less as we did :bananadance 
Worth asking what all the dealers have at the moment - we got everything we wanted including Towbar and only had to compromise on colour to collect it as soon as the money went through, saving a 17 week wait.

Enjoy

Paul and Ceri

Given the issues people on here have had with electric door I am so pleased we have NOT got one

I love my Cali but you need to be aware of the differences if you're thinking of making it your main transport.

Much slower acceleration than most cars - esp 3.0l audi!
If you get a manual box you'll have to work the gears more
Much bigger which isn't handy for daily use and parking in towns
Thirsty - new diesel cars can get 55-60mpg, Calis about 30-40mpg
They're not as refined (smooth quiet ride) as luxury cars
but
They're cool and put a big smile on your face
The high driving position is very nice
There's oodles of space inside which feels relaxing on long journeys
There's also loads of room for carrying stuff (certainly in the beach)
You can camp in them!

I guess you've just got to make an informed decision.

Thanks all, thats really good. Especially the leather, as James suggests I'll get that done after market. Apart from that I'll go for the best spec I can. I'm just amazed that VW don't train the staff better. Hereford is not far from me and I haven't spoken to them yet so I'll give them a try. Thanks again you guys, there's nothing better than advice of those who own and live with a vehicle before making a purchase.

Xenons are overpriced on the Cali, I have them on my other car and the option was half the price, there are some very good bulbs out there on the market now which give as near as performance as the xenons for a fraction of the price. Also my personal taste I do not like the LED running lights, they were good when they first came out a few years ago but are now becoming very common. Even Nissan use them :crazy

Topdog said:
Hi all,

So first of all I'd just like to say hi as I've just joined and already the information here has been a great help. I'm thinking of placing an order for a new California SE. I'm just trying to work the right deal with a couple of main dealers I'm talking to. I'd like to ask for some advice on the spec as I'm sure this is all important when ordering new. My current spec I've decided on so far is:

Olympian Blue
DSG 180 4 Motion
Side awning with tent adapters
Touring pack
Tyre pressure sensors
Safe

..............And don't forget the Privacy Glass

We're not experienced owners yet but know what it's like trying to decide between all the options. It's such a big purchase and not easy when the descriptions of the options are very basic. You mention tour pack, I didn't see that listed in the new Jan 14 brochure, we went for the travel pack as it seemed good value.
You mention the multifunction display, one of the salesman (not the very knowledgeable one we bought from however) did feel that it wasn't worth the money and said it just gave
the same info as the standard one but in colour. Oli and James say that it looks very nice and I'm sure it does, I guess it's just deciding the priorities.
Happy decision making

we fitted the new Philips HID Xenon bulbs and put them side by side our Audi A4 with xenons and you could not tell the difference, also driving with the HID is so much safer and only cost around £20 per bulb. Big saving compared to xenons.

In truth Xenons aren't just about the brightness - It's about the field of vision they provide, I can only talk for the T5, they do make a big difference, giving a you a wider scope of light. Full beam as bi xenons they give a floodlit view.

Of course whether that is worth the money is personal choice.

Don't go for the electric side door.
We have had a lot of trouble with ours and hope to have our's changed to manual this week.
Will be posting the outcome when it has been done.