Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Considering Beach - pragmatic advice

E

eex8soov

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

I'm researching VW California Beach, and I have a couple of questions. I'm looking at Beach mostly for the extra seating - useful in town. I need to cram in 4-person family for trips, and 5-6 people for in-town use.

(1) My understanding is that the bottom bed on the Beach raises (3 inches?) when folded down. Is that a big deal? Is it possible to sit on the bottom bed when the roof bed is occupied? How does it compare to Marco Polo Activity?

(2) I'm on the fence with regard to the kitchen unit. Do you guys cook inside? Is it possible to cook with roof bed occupied? I'm looking at removable kitchen units, ideally accessible from the rear, but I haven't made up my mind.

(3) About the rear kitchen unit, I stumbled upon "Slidepods rear kitchen unit". Does it work? I guess it eats up most space for luggage. Will such a thing work with rear tent? Note to myself: the rear kitchen unit + tent will (of course) not work with rear storage box and bicycle rack.

(4) The "acoustic package", this is purely about thicker windows, right? Side note - is it common to do custom sound/heat isolation in the californias?

(5) I understand the normal sliding door are quite loud - waking up everyone at the camp side. Does getting the "electric sliding door" alleviate the problem?

(6) I think MP allows for sliding doors on both sides. Anyone has experience? Pros cons?

(7) apart from visuals, does the wheel size make any difference? Is the clearance the same on 17" vs 18" wheels?

(8) I'm slightly annoyed that the mirrors don't save much width when folded. Does it mean getting electrically folding mirrors is missing the point?

(9) Awning. I don't see the point of it, at all. What am I missing?

(10) Double halogen headlights. Worth the money?

The bottom bed is indeed higher, which does mean you have to stoop a little if the top is down. I can cope with it.
Kitchen unit is useful, but be careful on size. Our van came with one but it's too big for us, looking for a smaller one. Most come with a sink, but we found in our previous SE we never used it. Cooking inside isn't a problem, though easier with the roof up.
The sliding door can be loud if you just pull it hard, if you take your time it's not that bad.
I run 18s and don't have any problems and they look better, imo. As for the mirrors, I've never had call to need them folded on anything more than the odd occasion.
Awning. Add a awning kit to it, so you have sides and door, makes for extra space. Have used ours plenty of times, packs away into a smallish bag, one thing useful is a pole across the canopy to help the rain fall off.
When you say double halogen do you mean the led headlights? Our current car has led headlights and they are brilliant, wish it was possible for a retrofit on a t5 cali.
Can't comment on the other bits as not tried them or seen them. Hope this helps a little.

Hi,
As an owner of a seven seater Beach for the last three plus years I will attempt to answer your questions:

1. Yes you are correct. The downstairs bed on a 5/7 seat version is higher than on the 4/5 seat version. Depending on your height you may well find sitting on the 5/7 seater downstairs bed awkward with the upstairs bed occupied. Because the downstairs bed is higher, the head room is correspondingly less. My advice is don't sit, lie on it instead. It's never been a big deal for us! If the upstairs bed isn't occupied then push up the ceiling and sit on it instead. With a higher bed you'll get a more useable storage space beneath the multiflex board which IMO is a worth while compromise. I can't comment on the MP. I've never owned one.

2. We have always preferred to cook outside even when we had an SE. You can cook inside a Beach without any problems. I wouldn't do it with someone sleeping upstairs purely on safety grounds.

3. You can get kitchen pods to fit inside or in the boot and I believe some are very good indeed. I don't know much about them as we have never owned one. We have never wanted to either. We keep all our kitchen kit in a Eurobox along with other assorted kit in other Euroboxes, and a Waeco/Dometic CFX 35 fridge/freezer on a Calicap slide out tray in the boot. A pull out kitchen pod wouldn't give us the same storage flexibilty. I've never owned a bike rack so can't comment on that aspect either.

4. IMO the Acoustic Package is a waste of money. Our previous Cali was an SE with double glazing etc and our current Cali is a Beach with single glazing. For a period, we owned them both at the same time and used them both for camping. I didn't notice any difference at all.

5. The normal manual slider is noisy especially at midnight on a quiet campsite. Swish bag, swish bang! The electric version apparently has a warning beep when opening and closing but I can't confirm that as again I've never had one. According to posts on this forum, it is not unknown for the fully electric version to give problems. Your best bet is the cheaper soft close option on the slider and the rear door. I had those on said previous SE and they were very good. Just close the door lightly and a power assisted closer mechanism finishes the job reasonably quietly.

6. N/A

7. The overall wheel plus tyre diameter of 16", 17" and 18" wheels are all roughly the same. The only difference is the depth of the tyre side wall. 16" have high side walls and on 18" they are are much more shallow. Since the tyre side walls provide some cushioning effect over rough roads, a greater wheel diameter means shallower and stiffer tyre side walls which in turn translates into a harsher ride. Also if you choose 18" wheels you won't get a spare or spare wheel carrier. Instead I believe you'll get a tin of squirty to carry out a temporary repair and inflate all in one.

8. Good point, well made.

9. IMO the awning is an essential Cali option. It provides shelter to cook outside if raining, shade from bright sunshine and with the three sided Comfortz awning room, it creates a large porch for your dog, to eat in, cook in, leave your boots and wet things in, to wash in etc. Besides without the awning it just isn't a proper Cali! If you change your mind and decide you want one later you'll end up paying a King's ransom. They are far far cheaper ordered with the original factory order.

10. The bog standard lights on a Beach are pathetic. So the answer has to be yes.

Last edited:
Useful video re. sitting in a Beach:
That is an excellent video re the different seating/ sleeping arrangements in a Beach. However, if I remember correctly (I haven't bothered to watch it again), it doesn't mention the need for the VW Comfort mattress in the 5/7 seat version. Because the seating in that version is designed principally for people carrying, the VW Comfort mattress is essential for creating a perfectly flat bed. It mirrors the undulations in the seat base and back to create a perfect sleeping surface. DON'T try and sleep on the 5/7 seat rear bench without one as you'll probably never recover!

Last edited:
Point (9)

We make our kitchen/dining area inside the awning, moving our dining area outside when the weather allows.

The awning also serves as a storage area. Unload gear into the awning, and drive away for a day’s excursion without having to pack up the van.

We spent over a year living and travelling in our van around Europe as a family with two boys (age 2 & 3 at outset) plus a dog. It is now used as a multi purpose family car, sometimes a 5 seater sometimes a 7 seater.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm researching VW California Beach, and I have a couple of questions. I'm looking at Beach mostly for the extra seating - useful in town. I need to cram in 4-person family for trips, and 5-6 people for in-town use.

(2) I'm on the fence with regard to the kitchen unit. Do you guys cook inside? Is it possible to cook with roof bed occupied? I'm looking at removable kitchen units, ideally accessible from the rear, but I haven't made up my mind.

(3) About the rear kitchen unit, I stumbled upon "Slidepods rear kitchen unit". Does it work? I guess it eats up most space for luggage. Will such a thing work with rear tent? Note to myself: the rear kitchen unit + tent will (of course) not work with rear storage box and bicycle rack.

I use a Slidepod (reviews on here somewhere) in the boot area which I love but admit isnt for everyone. Although at first look it may appear you lose the space you don't lose all the storage over half the pod is a storage cupboard. All our kitchen stuff and non cold food goes in here. It swallows quite a lot of stuff. There are reviews on here.

I personally think the roof fabric is a little too close for comfort to a stove on the table for cooking for any length of time and I worry about the fabric in the roof being stained when the roof is down. WIth it up no worries at all. I have used an alpkit brukit to make a tea. Certainly doable but caution advised.

I do have a rear tailgate awning which get used rarely to be honest. Ideal slidepod weather is like this week, hot, slight breeze and cooking outside. Bliss. If the weathers bad I probably just go eat out. :) I think you are either an awning person or you aren't. I tend to shy away from them but we like to keep moving on and finding new places rather than staying in one spot for a week at a time..

I am currently pondering a bike rack and box configuration but havent worked out the details yet. I think it may be difficult with an awning in place too but I genuinely have used my awning 3 times.

(8) I'm slightly annoyed that the mirrors don't save much width when folded. Does it mean getting electrically folding mirrors is missing the point?
I've had manual ones for 4 years, did lose one mirror cap to a builders truck once but I was moving not parked.

(9) Awning. I don't see the point of it, at all. What am I missing?
Sunshade and weather protection, can install a light in it for sitting out at night etc. I've cooked under it in torrential rain once or twice.

(10) Double halogen headlights. Worth the money?
A lot of people say the beach headlights are poor but I really don't agree, they are perfectly fine if a little boring looking. I can only assume folks are used to the modern high intensity type lights (that aren't very pleasant coming the other way) or that I got so used to T25 headlights which are genuinely poor and I feel spoilt now. ;) Edit: LED ones are clearly better however.

Last edited:
I have a Beach with Slidepod.
1. Never been an issue, you’re either sleeping in it or you’re up in our Cali.
2. I personally would not cook in a Beach with the upper bed occupied.
3. Slidepod does work. I have the smaller ‘ultra’ version so the cupboard / storage in it is less than the larger version. I get pod envy when I see the bigger ones but then remember that I can store the Slidepod table and other flattish things in the space on top of the pod and BELOW the multiflex. Swings and roundabouts I guess. Love it though! I’d say in combination with VanEssa window bags it doesn’t feel like a compromise.
4. I have the acoustic package. I’m ‘considering’ lining the front doors with sound deadening material as it’s still a little noisy for very long drives imo. (20” winter tyres tho so that’s my fault)
5. Soft close assist sliding door is the answer. You can be very quiet with this. Unless you are Mrs S2bear
6. dunno
7. Wheels should all equate to roughly the same rolling radius. 16” will give you more cushioning from the taller sidewall but that same taller sidewall will have more lateral flex than an 18” equivalent which will handle slightly sharper but be less comfortable and more noisy. 17” probably a good compromise and the choice of many.
8. I have electric folding mirrors and use them a lot street parking. People often only clip you by 5-10mm but I’m not sure how many mm they fold in.
9. Awning is a great edition that really makes the Cali feel special - even when you’re just stopped for a picnic rain or shine. Takes seconds to open or close. I love it.
10. I have the LED lights, they’re amazing and I’d have them again. Even at the price they are.

Consider the concept/dimmable interior lighting if you haven’t already - it’s very nice and handy too.

Having said all of the above, I didn’t buy my Cali Beach to order but was offered a choice of incoming pre specced Cali’s - Now I have stuff I didn’t know I wanted and would have to order the same again next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the amazing answers. I think I got what I needed. Back to the drawing board!

The Beach is very handy as the sliding seat + 2 additional seats gives you the ability to carry 7. With the 2 additional seats removed it vas a very good load capacity which comes in handy for furniture purposes, tip runs etc. Also great for camping!

The Beach is very handy as the sliding seat + 2 additional seats gives you the ability to carry 7. With the 2 additional seats removed it vas a very good load capacity which comes in handy for furniture purposes, tip runs etc. Also great for camping!

1.The bottom bed sits higher than the Ocean Bed, but its still possible to sit on the bed whilst when roof bed is being used. When it’s the upper bed is not being used, you can still have the roof up and just push the bottom of the roof bed up as it has hydraulic struts giving you enough room to stand up.

2. Kitchen comes down to how much you will actually use it ‘v’ how much day to day space you need. We have owned T2 Viking conversion (elevating roof + full kitchen down one side), T25 (Fixed Hard top + full kitchen), T4 Bilbo (elevating roof + Kitchen Pod unit – 2 hobs, grill, sink, behind drivers seat) & currently have T5 Beach which works best for us at the moment. We really only used the hob in previous van for boiling a kettle for making tea. When camping we cook outside on a Gas Cobb (which doubles as an oven with the lid on, so can roast meats etc) , small Vitamix connected to campsite mains hookup for smoothies, sauces & soups & have a Dometic CK 40D Hybrid Cooler/Freezer which runs off 12v or 240v. We never really used the sink in other vans as tend to use campsites that have facilities.

3. Slidepods units are very good as you are able to remove them when you are not camping provided of course that you have storage space at home. Shelter is created by the rear tailgate.

4. Not worth it in my opinion unless it already fitted - California Beach is very quiet on the road, as all the accessories such as table chairs etc are securely stowed so don’t rattle. When camping the roof will be up so you hear everything through the canvas anyway!

5.Would recommend the assisted close for boot + sliding door, which just pulls the door slightly at the final moment. Far more noise is caused by children, pets & people stumbling back from pubs & other vans.

6. Sliding doors on both sides are excellent and just hope that VW do the same someday!. We looked at getting a Caravelle with twin sliders , and fitting elevating roof but worked out better to buy a Beach when you looked at total cost versus resale value.

7. Wider wheels tend to feel the road more, which can be good or bad depending on how many potholes you hit day to day.

8. Mine were fitted as standard, rarely have then folded. Only folded a ferry crossing so people don’t walk into them.

9. Awning is a must as gives you valuable outdoor space. You can buy clip on sides to create a dry room when raining so you are not all squashed in the van, also handy for shade when camping.

10. Standard headlights are fine / double halogen are brighter, so down to personal preference really.

Would opt for 3 zone climate control & aux parking heater as this makes the van very comfy for all.

We have a beach and find that we can sit downstairs fine with the child sleeping above us - more of a lounging experience but you can sit around the table.

We dont cook in the beach as came from a camping in tent life prior so have all the gear to cook outside or in the awning.

I am well practiced with the sliding door for emergency toilet trips in the night, you can close it quietly you dont need to slam it.

We never used the awning in the UK but when we went to France had it up all the time, great little spot of shade / shelter. We have the camping room sides but not used yet. We also have a drive away awning for longer trips especially in UK when it might be cold and wet.

All I can say is that our Beach is so flexible -
2-seat rear bench.
Friday and Saturday my bedroom. Monday a family car, today a van taking loads of greenery to the tip from a mega trim in the garden (3 trips!)

I wish I'd had the awning. Thinking about that as an add on soon