Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Underslung water tank on an Australian 4 motion Beach?

• Thread starter Greg&Mel Australian Cali
  • Start date
Greg&Mel Australian Cali

Greg&Mel Australian Cali

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach 199
The Beach with two sliding doors is the only model available in Australia and I have ordered the 4Motion. I will make a rear slide out kitchen for it but am keen to save space by fitting the water tank under rather than within. I have a heater and I understand there are not many options for me. Has anyone done this and can provide advice?
Greg

hope that helps a bit, happy reading

Last edited:
The Beach with two sliding doors is the only model available in Australia and I have ordered the 4Motion. I will make a rear slide out kitchen for it but am keen to save space by fitting the water tank under rather than within. I have a heater and I understand there are not many options for me. Has anyone done this and can provide advice?
Greg
HI Greg and Mel. Im based in Brisbane and have ordered the same van as yourself. Did you manage to find a solution for the water tank? It would be good to discuss this with you.

HI Greg and Mel. Im based in Brisbane and have ordered the same van as yourself. Did you manage to find a solution for the water tank? It would be good to discuss this with you.
Hi,
All the 4motions have their water tanks inside. At least, that is what appears to be the case. The alternative is to put one in the spare wheel bay and either put the spare on a roof rack or on a carrier on the rear door, neither options appealing.
So I am building a pull-out rear kitchen with a fridge on the left, cooker, sink and storage in the middle and a 20L tank with plug in tap extension on the right.
I am happy to post some photos when finished.
The 75ah leisure battery is woefully inadequate for Western Australia with our vast distances so I am seeking how to place a 120 ah lithium battery under the drivers seat. I don’t want to take up the limited storage space with an additional battery. Someone on this forum has done it and I have asked for details but no response as yet. But it clearly can be done.
The other issue is that the Aus Beach really needs a 240V hookup for those times when you want to spend a few days in a caravan park. Mainly to keep the batteries charged. The least intrusive way seems to be to wire a socket in the engine bay connected to a battery charger and with a 240V outlet inside. I accidentally left a reading light on and it flattened both the starter and the leisure battery. So being able to plug in at home would be handy if you don’t plan on driving the Cali regularly.
We don’t intend to spend weeks in the desert so will get all of this sorted before we consider solar.

Hi,
All the 4motions have their water tanks inside. At least, that is what appears to be the case. The alternative is to put one in the spare wheel bay and either put the spare on a roof rack or on a carrier on the rear door, neither options appealing.
So I am building a pull-out rear kitchen with a fridge on the left, cooker, sink and storage in the middle and a 20L tank with plug in tap extension on the right.
I am happy to post some photos when finished.
The 75ah leisure battery is woefully inadequate for Western Australia with our vast distances so I am seeking how to place a 120 ah lithium battery under the drivers seat. I don’t want to take up the limited storage space with an additional battery. Someone on this forum has done it and I have asked for details but no response as yet. But it clearly can be done.
The other issue is that the Aus Beach really needs a 240V hookup for those times when you want to spend a few days in a caravan park. Mainly to keep the batteries charged. The least intrusive way seems to be to wire a socket in the engine bay connected to a battery charger and with a 240V outlet inside. I accidentally left a reading light on and it flattened both the starter and the leisure battery. So being able to plug in at home would be handy if you don’t plan on driving the Cali regularly.
We don’t intend to spend weeks in the desert so will get all of this sorted before we consider solar.
Happy to go off line for a chat.

Yes lets chat offline. I have some possibilities re the hookup to discuss. As for power, I'm using a Bluetti unit so I run entirely on 240v including induction cooking'. Im not sure how to setup a private chat on here.

Yes lets chat offline. I have some possibilities re the hookup to discuss. As for power, I'm using a Bluetti unit so I run entirely on 240v including induction cooking'. Im not sure how to setup a private chat on here.
I'm afraid you cannot set up a Private Chat/Conversation on the Forum unless you are both VIP members.

Hi 228,
I don’t think we want to post our emails or mobiles on the forum so the option is to both join as VIP members. $26.39 AUD. What do you think?
Welshgas, is it a one off payment or annually?
Greg

Here is the link for the membership page (£14.99 Annual )

Hi 228,
I don’t think we want to post our emails or mobiles on the forum so the option is to both join as VIP members. $26.39 AUD. What do you think?
Welshgas, is it a one off payment or annually?
Greg
A relatively safe way is posting a photo of contact info.
The Internet bots that troll for emails/telephones look for text .

VIP membership does give access to the Resources section Fuse Layouts, How toys etc.

I'm not sure but I believe in the past International members have paid less as they cannot use the Discounts etc.

You could post in the Admin/Support section to ask @Martin or @calikev if this is possible.

I'm quite interested in the chat, so if you want to have it here in public, that would be great.

there are a couple of good options for EHU, have seen one under the front badge, but this one is very popular and makes sense in the rear panel:

Thanks Tarquers,
It is brand new Cali and we don’t want to modify the exterior. So installing the EHU in the engine bay is appealing.
I am keen to hear from anyone who has installed a lithium battery under the drivers seat in a Beach. There is some circuitry there that would need to be moved. We plan to travel for 3 months at a time and I would like to keep what storage space we have free for supplies, rather than take some of it up with a power pack.