Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Privacy glass

• Thread starter andanotherthing
  • Start date
A

andanotherthing

I'm pondering which options to go for and was hoping for some advise. Reading between the lines of the Cali brochure the optional privacy glass is not double glazed.

Is this correct?

Double glazing is from behind the sliding door (C Pillar) and back. Also including the tail gate.

Tick privacy!! :rofl

I saw a brick red Cali on the Outer Hebrides in May this year without privacy glass.
It had a curious unsubstantial look to it and my wife made the same observation independently.
Really odd.
Cosmetic, I know, but ...

My t25's and t2 bay window didn't have privacy glass and look right without it .. But the t4 & t5 it looks fish bowl horrible without it ...
It must be the bus shape along with the era of the bus that makes it work or not ...

As Stu says, the privacy glass is double glazed but only the rearmost side windows and the tailgate. Having sat in the rear of the California and a standard window parked at the kerb on a moderately busy road van I thought the Cali was much quieter when traffic went past but not sure if that was just my mind playing tricks. For £295 its a well priced option and seems to be pretty much an essential come resale time if you need to justify it.

It's not just the privacy and look of the glass ,as it helps with the sun glare on the windows in turn the bus will not heat up as much as with clear glass ,so is a no brainier and should be standard in my eyes on the Cali

Cosmetic looks aside from a pragmatic point of view we would not be without it. :thumb

Just remember at night in the dark to pull the blinds down as you can see through to the interior when the lights are on. :shocked

John

Privacy glass is a must, in my opinion too, it looks better, stops the glare and if you every decide to add privacy glass afterwards, the film never looks as good as factory. As has been said they look odd without it.

Just my tuppence

I made the same observation in the brochure that privacy was not double glazed but on a more careful reading discovered it was the optional laminated glass that is not double glazed and privacy is.

I didn't have it and had to get it done after. You need it for every reason, privacy, sun protection!

Do it! :headbang

BikerBoy said:
I didn't have it and had to get it done after. You need it for every reason, privacy, sun protection!

Do it! :headbang

Did you actually get all the glass from behind the B-pillar replaced with privacy or did you just have privacy tint film put on the existing windows?

Had film put on. Changing glass is mad expsenevisve. I Would have chosen privacy glass if I could have had it.

I went for a mid grade film on sides and mega "limo" dark on back window. It seems to strike the right balance. You can always use the blinds to make much darker from prying eyes.

I'm not that keen on the green colour of the VW privacy glass - are there any other optons?

I'd prefer black limo glass, but does that mean buying it from a third party? Or do VW have that option, but just don't shout about it in the brochures? Would third party glass be double-glazed like the official glass?

Don't really want film on a £50k camper.

Are there any disadvantages light-wise to having really dark black glass?

Does changing the glass leave much mess in the van after the fitting?

*sorry for all the newbie questions*

Harbourmaster said:
I'm not that keen on the green colour of the VW privacy glass

Green ? Looking at mine now it is totally black, I think the only time it may have a very slight hint of green is at night when the light is on inside or shining through? I think it looks fine though.

Candy White Cali and the glass definitely has a green tint. I'm ok with that.