Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"All-in" warranty

G

ger

Having run a mile from the VW Extended Warranty (not the factory one) mainly because of its useless limit of £2500, I've noticed now that VW are offering an "All-In" warranty that seems to have different terms/conditions - up to the value of the van.

But I've a feeling it'll be useless for me because of this condition "...where there has been no break in warranty as of June 2020" :-(

Anyone know if this really is different to the usual VWCV extended warranty? And that there is no limit on the cover?
And is it really not available if you've had a break from their amazingly expensive, useless standard cover (last quote was £1500 pa for my 2016 Beach!).

dd

Having run a mile from the VW Extended Warranty (not the factory one) mainly because of its useless limit of £2500, I've noticed now that VW are offering an "All-In" warranty that seems to have different terms/conditions - up to the value of the van.

But I've a feeling it'll be useless for me because of this condition "...where there has been no break in warranty as of June 2020" :-(

Anyone know if this really is different to the usual VWCV extended warranty? And that there is no limit on the cover?
And is it really not available if you've had a break from their amazingly expensive, useless standard cover (last quote was £1500 pa for my 2016 Beach!).

dd
I got excited when I first saw this, but then far less excited when I read all the restrictions and stipulations. like they say “ If it sounds too good to be true” it probably is.....

Looks very good value especially if you go abroad, full European recovery with a manufacturer warranty is handy if you breakdown in Spain for example. Just buying breakdown cover for individual trips can cost a fair bit.

The MOTs + servicing would cost about £700 on their own - assuming you would have 2 services in 2 years.

So you are effectively getting a 2 year warranty for less than £200. With no claim limit.

Looking at the exclusions, it looks pretty reasonable as far as the base van is concerned, there's standard DPF & clutch exclusions. I don't think the roof is covered looking at the paragraph below:

What’s not covered?
• Routine servicing (all parts replaced associated with routine servicing are excluded)
• All bodywork, paintwork, body components (Including encased aerials, gas struts,
sunroof assemblies, soft top roofs, and seat frames), glass (including heated), seals
(including but not limited to water ingress), wardrobes, cupboards and curtain rails

Looks very good value especially if you go abroad, full European recovery with a manufacturer warranty is handy if you breakdown in Spain for example. Just buying breakdown cover for individual trips can cost a fair bit.

The MOTs + servicing would cost about £700 on their own - assuming you would have 2 services in 2 years.

So you are effectively getting a 2 year warranty for less than £200. With no claim limit.

Looking at the exclusions, it looks pretty reasonable as far as the base van is concerned, there's standard DPF & clutch exclusions. I don't think the roof is covered looking at the paragraph below:

What’s not covered?
• Routine servicing (all parts replaced associated with routine servicing are excluded)
• All bodywork, paintwork, body components (Including encased aerials, gas struts,
sunroof assemblies, soft top roofs, and seat frames), glass (including heated), seals
(including but not limited to water ingress), wardrobes, cupboards and curtain rails
Shush, don't let VW know that we think it might be a bargain they are bound to ramp up the cost.

dd
Sounds like they just apply an excess if you’ve had a break in cover from my reading of it

Van in today for its all in "eligibility check" at the still worrying Carrs in Exeter. And getting hugely unreliable and inconsistent information about this scheme...

But...this check is a good way of getting VW to check your van over for any incoming issues for free! :) Anything they spot is exempt from the cover.

The documentation on it is shocking though, as is the dealer knowledge. But after going with Snows in Plymouth, the bar is as low as can be, and it's still better than there.

Turns out it's the same cover as their used vehicle cover. No excess, limit is value of vehicle.

And the eligibility check apparently covers most of the items done in the £70+ inspection service.... Hmmmm.

Coming to the end of my 5 year warranty, 2 year assist extension and 2 year service plan this year, so I'll probably go with this.
The last of my 2 services is booked in for October with additional Haldex, DSG and Cambelt/pump etc. So I'll move to this for the next 2 years.

What’s not covered?
Massive exclusions there!

Massive exclusions there!

May be, but still far better than any aftermarket / insurance backed one available.

Also depends on how you look at it, pay for 2 services & 2 Mots & get free European breakdown cover & a free warranty thrown in for nothing.

Compared to the previous option of £1500 just for the warranty with big exclusions & limits, it looks good.

Note from one of the other forums, vans are failing the acceptance inspection due to having none standard suspension.

May be, but still far better than any aftermarket / insurance backed one available.

Also depends on how you look at it, pay for 2 services & 2 Mots & get free European breakdown cover & a free warranty thrown in for nothing.

Compared to the previous option of £1500 just for the warranty with big exclusions & limits, it looks good.

Note from one of the other forums, vans are failing the acceptance inspection due to having none standard suspension.
Do you think upgrading the ARBs would also fail the inspection?

Got the official documentation, and claim limit is "The market value for your vehicle at the time of the claim inclusive of VAT." - so quite a bit better than the £2500 of the alternative extended warranty.

Can't really complain at £100 a year for two years though. Clutch and DPF are the scariest sounding exclusions, and possibly the interior cover - which is less of a concern for my Beach! He he he:)

Exclusions as stated in the official documents
• All bodywork, paintwork, body components (Including encased aerials, gas struts, sunroof assemblies, soft top roofs, and seat frames), glass (including heated), seals (including but not limited to water ingress), wardrobes, cupboards and curtain rails
• Wear and perishable items as follows:
– All adjustments, timing or cleaning
– Batteries
– Bulbs and fuses
– Coolant hoses, pipes and connections
– CV boot gaiters
– Diesel particulate filters
– Exhaust systems (although catalytic converters are covered for internal failure)
– Interior and exterior trims (including fabric, curtains, upholstery and cosmetic finishers)
– Non manufacturer’s original parts or second hand parts
– Tyres and wheels
– Unencased drive belts
– Wiper blades and arms
– Wiring and connections (including HT leads, fibre optics and aerial co axial cables)
– Wear and tear of brake components: brake discs, drums, brake pads and shoes
– Wear and tear of clutch components: clutch pressure plates, bearing and disc

Clever bit of marketing by VW and future proofing the next few years for dealers.
it means that most people who take this offer up will be tied to franchised VW dealers & most probably have further works carried out, before the end of the schedule, at the VW dealerships rather than go Indi.

I've been looking in to this too, but I'm waiting for someone that knows what they're talking about to get back to me.
My position is that I bought a Beach from a VW dealer early March, and although I paid for a 2 year service pack (almost £500), and although I've been chasing it, the dealer hasn't actioned it yet. Because of this, I thought I'd push for swapping over to the all-in which wasn't around at the time, but I see that you can't take up the all-in if you've currently got a live warranty, which of course I have now until March 2022. The dealer is now saying that I might be able to get VW Customer Care to cancel my current warranty, but we'll see. I'm not sure about the current warranty. I've seen in one brochure about the £2,500 limit per claim, but in a different brochure this isn't mentioned, so I'm waiting on clarification on that too

Got the official documentation, and claim limit is "The market value for your vehicle at the time of the claim inclusive of VAT." - so quite a bit better than the £2500 of the alternative extended warranty.

Can't really complain at £100 a year for two years though. Clutch and DPF are the scariest sounding exclusions, and possibly the interior cover - which is less of a concern for my Beach! He he he:)

Exclusions as stated in the official documents
• All bodywork, paintwork, body components (Including encased aerials, gas struts, sunroof assemblies, soft top roofs, and seat frames), glass (including heated), seals (including but not limited to water ingress), wardrobes, cupboards and curtain rails
• Wear and perishable items as follows:
– All adjustments, timing or cleaning
– Batteries
– Bulbs and fuses
– Coolant hoses, pipes and connections
– CV boot gaiters
– Diesel particulate filters
– Exhaust systems (although catalytic converters are covered for internal failure)
– Interior and exterior trims (including fabric, curtains, upholstery and cosmetic finishers)
– Non manufacturer’s original parts or second hand parts
– Tyres and wheels
– Unencased drive belts
– Wiper blades and arms
– Wiring and connections (including HT leads, fibre optics and aerial co axial cables)
– Wear and tear of brake components: brake discs, drums, brake pads and shoes
– Wear and tear of clutch components: clutch pressure plates, bearing and disc
Wouldn't it have been easier just to state what is covered?

I've been looking in to this too, but I'm waiting for someone that knows what they're talking about to get back to me.
My position is that I bought a Beach from a VW dealer early March, and although I paid for a 2 year service pack (almost £500), and although I've been chasing it, the dealer hasn't actioned it yet. Because of this, I thought I'd push for swapping over to the all-in which wasn't around at the time, but I see that you can't take up the all-in if you've currently got a live warranty, which of course I have now until March 2022. The dealer is now saying that I might be able to get VW Customer Care to cancel my current warranty, but we'll see. I'm not sure about the current warranty. I've seen in one brochure about the £2,500 limit per claim, but in a different brochure this isn't mentioned, so I'm waiting on clarification on that too
IMO the “all in warranty “ is not the same as the factory three / five year warranty

IMO the “all in warranty “ is not the same as the factory three / five year warranty
No, it's definitely not the factory one :)
But it's very close (identical from what I can see) to the used van warranty you get from a VW dealer - _plus_ 2 MOTs, 2 services and breakdown.
Looks like it's only been available since May.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to state what is covered?
You might think customer peace of mind is the point of this offer, and yet they exclude cheap things they could have added a few pounds onto each to cover eg
- All adjustments, timing or cleaning
- fuses
- Coolant hoses, pipes and connections

Our 3 year Warranty and VW Assist finishes next month, just booked in for first MOT & getting eligibility check done at same time for All In. Appears to be a very good deal. We are retired now and on a fixed income so makes sense to budget where possible.
We committed to a similar deal on our 2018 Mini Countryman this month when its 3 year warranty ran out. Worth bearing in mind these warranties are also transferable on sale of vehicle so makes it a little more attractive to prospective buyer. I have just save nearly £500/annum on Building & Contents Insurance after shopping around, so using that saving to finance these polices...... Result!
Currently looking at Motor policies but LV still looking to be the best deal for us.

Our 3 year Warranty and VW Assist ends next month, first MOT was yesterday, 7,700 miles from new. Phone amplifier modification / recall done (What is that about? Anyone?)
I asked after the All-In package.
Service rep did not offer it as the 3Yr warranty "doesn't expire until 1st week of July".
Despite the VW Health check & MOT yesterday the Cali will still need an eligibility check.
I have a 2 year service plan bought last year, with 2nd (Major) service remaining.
I was told that I must use the outstanding 2nd service before the all in plan could be actioned.
At 7,700 miles????
Apparently so.
Hmmm.

I had a nightmare trying to set up. Apparently the first van in Edinburgh to have passed the eligibility check and centre appeared rather reluctant to engage. Made me service it first but only a minor one . Thought looked good value for a 5 year old Cali I plan to keep forever. Only had the 3 yr factory warranty so no cover for the past 2 yrs.

I didn’t think I’d ever do this, but I’ve just bought a 2 year non manufacturer warranty. When we bought Elmo3 a year ago, the dealer gave us a 12 month warranty. I thought thanks, but that’ll be a waste of time. Well, I needed a new steering rack, which they covered, no issue. When they offered a 1 or 2 year extension I thought yes, good idea on balance. Not bad on a 12 year old with 100K + miles. Transferable on a private sale as well.

VW is not the only option, I wouldn’t take an older Cali anywhere near a main dealer.

Back