Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ABS INTERMITTENT FAULT

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi. I’m having problems with the ABS, stability control, tyre pressure monitoring and ACC all failing together. Usually, the fault disappears after driving a short distance but reappears next time I start a drive. I assume this points to a failing ABS wheel sensor. My nearest VW Van Centre is a 5 hour round trip.
1. Is it worth buying an OBD reader to identify the fault? If so, what should I buy?
2. Is it likely to be a wheel sensor, or might it be a more complex issue?
3. Could I trust my local garage with a job like this? (My local VW car dealer say they can’t do it).
Thanks.

Hi. I’m having problems with the ABS, stability control, tyre pressure monitoring and ACC all failing together. Usually, the fault disappears after driving a short distance but reappears next time I start a drive. I assume this points to a failing ABS wheel sensor. My nearest VW Van Centre is a 5 hour round trip.
1. Is it worth buying an OBD reader to identify the fault? If so, what should I buy?
2. Is it likely to be a wheel sensor, or might it be a more complex issue?
3. Could I trust my local garage with a job like this? (My local VW car dealer say they can’t do it).
Thanks.
All the functions you mentioned depend on the ABS sensors. Rarely the cause could be something else.
1. The OBD readers most commonly mentioned are Carista or OBD Eleven. Carista , you buy the plug in, download the app to your phone. Subscribe, you get 1 month free, then cancel subscription within the free month.
2. Most likely ABS sensor, normally a rear one.
3. Your local garage should have no problem. You could DIY if you can change a wheel.

99.9% guaranteed to be an ABS wheel sensor. I’ve replaced 2 over the years. Get a Carista OBD2 reader . I’ve found them the best value and being Bluetooth will connect to your phone or IPad easily.
Also don’t spend a fortune on a sensor you can buy them off eBay for less than £20. Also they are simple to replace, takes about half an hour, you may need some penetrating oil to loosen the screw as they get quite rusty.

Is this also occasionally the wires being chewed?

All the functions you mentioned depend on the ABS sensors. Rarely the cause could be something else.
1. The OBD readers most commonly mentioned are Carista or OBD Eleven. Carista , you buy the plug in, download the app to your phone. Subscribe, you get 1 month free, then cancel subscription within the free month.
2. Most likely ABS sensor, normally a rear one.
3. Your local garage should have no problem. You could DIY if you can change a wheel.
Many thanks

99.9% guaranteed to be an ABS wheel sensor. I’ve replaced 2 over the years. Get a Carista OBD2 reader . I’ve found them the best value and being Bluetooth will connect to your phone or IPad easily.
Also don’t spend a fortune on a sensor you can buy them off eBay for less than £20. Also they are simple to replace, takes about half an hour, you may need some penetrating oil to loosen the screw as they get quite rusty.
Many thanks

Reactions: lfm
Many thanks
As above, sensors are cheap. Buy 4 (usually £15ish) and replace them all, or just one at a time. On our other car (another VAG) I bought 4 and got lucky changing the faulty one on first attempt :) (On that one they are left and right handed i.e. I bought 2 of each - not sure about the T6).

I can't imagine a good local garage would charge much more than 1hr labour to do all 4, and if they can determine which one you might even save the cost of the other 3.

Thanks to everyone for responding to my post. I’ve booked the van in to a local workshop that I trust and he’s doing the diagnostic this morning. Hopefully, he’ll find which sensor it is but, Sod’s Law, it is all working properly this morning.
I seriously like the idea of the Carista OBD reader and app although I’ve not investigated the subscription cost yet.

Thanks to everyone for responding to my post. I’ve booked the van in to a local workshop that I trust and he’s doing the diagnostic this morning. Hopefully, he’ll find which sensor it is but, Sod’s Law, it is all working properly this morning.
I seriously like the idea of the Carista OBD reader and app although I’ve not investigated the subscription cost yet.
I hope all goes well today. Because the fault is intermittent it’s probably just a dirty sensor.
Regarding the carista OBD2 reader you don’t have to take a yearly subscription out with them, I have downloaded the Car Scanner app which I find even with their free basic app give you plenty of info. Their paid app is only a few £ for a lifetime membership.And gives you everything and more the paid Carista app gives.

I hope all goes well today. Because the fault is intermittent it’s probably just a dirty sensor.
Regarding the carista OBD2 reader you don’t have to take a yearly subscription out with them, I have downloaded the Car Scanner app which I find even with their free basic app give you plenty of info. Their paid app is only a few £ for a lifetime membership.And gives you everything and more the paid Carista app gives.
Can I ask which profile you use with the car scanner app - none seem to mention the T6 or California
Thanks

Back