Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to put down a deposit - have I missed anything

Brian’s Dad

Brian’s Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
So after much procrastination I think we're ready to order. The aim is to put down a deposit, join the waiting list, hopefully avoid any future price hikes and receive a MY2019 build towards the end of the year.

If I'm lucky the spec will improve in MY2019 and I'll get some extra spec off VW.

This is the build with some justifications:
  • Ocean
  • 204 DSG - it will actually be 199 in 2019 seems like it's worth having the extra power (currently a BMW driver).
  • Indium Grey - we both like this colour, should be ok for resale if we want / need to sell.
  • Standard wheels - can't justify the expense of pimping them
  • ACC - I love cruise control, think this will make it even better
  • Leather wheel with tiptronic - it's only £90 (I know it's a gimmick)
  • Composition media with app connect - so much cheaper than full nav and it appears CarPlay is ever evolving and improving, the Pro Nav will be very dated in 4yrs
  • Parking sensors and camera - don't want to ding it, particularly if bike rack is on the back
  • Comfort mattress
  • Awning Black
  • All weather tyres 235 - improved grip not too much loss in MPG, only £144 compared to buying a full winter set up
  • Privacy glass
Grand total is £62747 on configurator.

I'll also get extended warranty and boot mount bike rack.

Have I missed anything I'm going to regret??

Sounds nice !
I'm sure you'll get all types of advice.
I wish I had spec'd Heavy Duty anti roll bars for a better feel on roundabouts etc.
I think you'll find composition media with app connect just fine.
I could have lived without ACC in hind sight. When I first tried it on a Tiguan I thought it was amazing but that was in light traffic and I tested its function. In reality, my driving is a lot smoother and more intelligent than ACC. I don't brake or accelerate nearly as much as it does when people swallow your braking space. I now find it incredibly annoying and would change for ordinary cruise control any day.
Extended warranty was a no brainer for me.

Just wondered if you'd considered heated front screen ?
It wont change your life but it's always there!!

Exciting times :thumb

Can you put AAC into standard mode? or is AAC always on?

Heated screen isn't really an issue as I cycle to work so I don't have to worry about the daily ice scraping (plus I live in Bristol) it's pretty mild. One dealer did speculate it might become standard spec in MY2019 as its already standard on many other VW van variants.

Roll bars etc: I've seen various comments about pros and cons, but I couldn't see a convulsive answer about what really improves the ride. I think I'm just going to accept its a van and not a BMW. (We will still have a car for long non camping journeys).

I’d say the big one is LED lights.

Expensive, but missed by many who didn’t get them at the time of order.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I love the ACC,but never been a fan of std cruise. The auto bit makes a big difference once you learn to trust it.

I’d say the big one is LED lights.

Expensive, but missed by many who didn’t get them at the time of order.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I love the ACC,but never been a fan of std cruise. The auto bit makes a big difference once you learn to trust it.

They are so expensive, they do look nice, I can dream they become standard spec. I've got them on my BMW, I find them aesthetically better rather than functionally. I gather they are a lot better than standard on the VW

Bigger fuel tank & four keys.

Fuel Tank: my bladder always wins
Keys: I've never lost one... my GF however.... need to consider this (I'm worried it's a license to loose keys)

So after much procrastination I think we're ready to order. The aim is to put down a deposit, join the waiting list, hopefully avoid any future price hikes and receive a MY2019 build towards the end of the year.

If I'm lucky the spec will improve in MY2019 and I'll get some extra spec off VW.

This is the build with some justifications:
  • Ocean
  • 204 DSG - it will actually be 199 in 2019 seems like it's worth having the extra power (currently a BMW driver).
  • Indium Grey - we both like this colour, should be ok for resale if we want / need to sell.
  • Standard wheels - can't justify the expense of pimping them
  • ACC - I love cruise control, think this will make it even better
  • Leather wheel with tiptronic - it's only £90 (I know it's a gimmick)
  • Composition media with app connect - so much cheaper than full nav and it appears CarPlay is ever evolving and improving, the Pro Nav will be very dated in 4yrs
  • Parking sensors and camera - don't want to ding it, particularly if bike rack is on the back
  • Comfort mattress
  • Awning Black
  • All weather tyres 235 - improved grip not too much loss in MPG, only £144 compared to buying a full winter set up
  • Privacy glass
Grand total is £62747 on configurator.

I'll also get extended warranty and boot mount bike rack.

Have I missed anything I'm going to regret??
App connect to make it future proof.

Sounds like a great spec for sure.

I'd 2nd the comment on the LED lights, I originally was not going to add them (due to cost) but from the research I did I changed my mind and decided to include them in the spec; sure they do seem a little on the expensive side but I've read about a few folks that didn't include them but then later wished they had because the "standard" lights are "not very good" according to a lot of people.

I also researched the heavy duty roll bars vs. DCC and based on what my dealer told me, the former are much cheaper but your Cali will be in a sort of "stiff" mode all the time, whereas with DCC you can switch it on or off when needed; some argue that both are a bit pointless since comfort is what most people want from a Cali and as you say yourself, it aint no beamer and as such you would slow down in the corners to help avoid some of the rolling around.

Have you looked at the Comfort Plus lighting? This is perhaps worth adding; for us we picked the "Dark Wood Trim with Outdoor Shower Connection" which then forces you to add the "Comfort Plus Lighting" option.

We ordered our new CaliO a couple of weeks ago and in the end I went with almost the spec I originally wanted but following advice I got from these forums I did call the dealer back to add two other options that I'd previously not included, these were...
  • Towbar - I initially thought I would never need it but after reading Cali owner stories on here I then thought that you just never know, having the towbar makes the Cali an even more versatile camper.
  • Heated front screen - I originally and mistakenly assumed this was standard given how much a Cali costs and for some reason I just didn't notice the option in the configurator.
I'd also suggest you look at the VW accessories catalogue as there may be one or two "extras" you might want the dealer to add before you take delivery.

For pretty much all options that are available for the Cali, opinion is often divided and for every person who says "awesome, get it", you will find another who will say "don't bother" but that in a way is what is great about these forums, you get to hear opinion from both sides of the fence; there are pro's and con's to many of the options (extra price is an obvious downside to all options) but when it comes down to it, pick the spec "you" are happy with and then run with it.

It's all very exciting :thumb

Hello MattBell
What about a towbar? Factory fitted it‘s cheaper than a aftermarket one. Or donyou prefer the tailgate VW one?

Comfort mattress is not very comfortable in our opinion, purchase an after market topper instead.

HD-rollbars are a cheap and real improvement to handling in my opinion. We rented one without it and now have bought one with it based on advice from the forum. Corners are much nicer now and the ride is not stiffer than without.
I love the ACC but would not by the comfort mattress. Aftermarket toppers let you have the shelf in the high position and are more comfortable than the VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HD Antirollbars. Add.

Comfort mattresss?
Comfort, well It's thick and squidgy where your pillow and head is, and thin at the more important parts.
We've gone for double Brandrup, Stupid cost but allways resalable, but more importantly, comfortable !

Hello MattBell
What about a towbar? Factory fitted it‘s cheaper than a aftermarket one. Or donyou prefer the tailgate VW one?
I'm planning on a tailgate bike rack - contemplated getting the wiring added

Sounds like a great spec for sure.

I'd 2nd the comment on the LED lights, I originally was not going to add them (due to cost) but from the research I did I changed my mind and decided to include them in the spec; sure they do seem a little on the expensive side but I've read about a few folks that didn't include them but then later wished they had because the "standard" lights are "not very good" according to a lot of people.

I also researched the heavy duty roll bars vs. DCC and based on what my dealer told me, the former are much cheaper but your Cali will be in a sort of "stiff" mode all the time, whereas with DCC you can switch it on or off when needed; some argue that both are a bit pointless since comfort is what most people want from a Cali and as you say yourself, it aint no beamer and as such you would slow down in the corners to help avoid some of the rolling around.

Have you looked at the Comfort Plus lighting? This is perhaps worth adding; for us we picked the "Dark Wood Trim with Outdoor Shower Connection" which then forces you to add the "Comfort Plus Lighting" option.

We ordered our new CaliO a couple of weeks ago and in the end I went with almost the spec I originally wanted but following advice I got from these forums I did call the dealer back to add two other options that I'd previously not included, these were...
  • Towbar - I initially thought I would never need it but after reading Cali owner stories on here I then thought that you just never know, having the towbar makes the Cali an even more versatile camper.
  • Heated front screen - I originally and mistakenly assumed this was standard given how much a Cali costs and for some reason I just didn't notice the option in the configurator.
I'd also suggest you look at the VW accessories catalogue as there may be one or two "extras" you might want the dealer to add before you take delivery.

For pretty much all options that are available for the Cali, opinion is often divided and for every person who says "awesome, get it", you will find another who will say "don't bother" but that in a way is what is great about these forums, you get to hear opinion from both sides of the fence; there are pro's and con's to many of the options (extra price is an obvious downside to all options) but when it comes down to it, pick the spec "you" are happy with and then run with it.

It's all very exciting :thumb

Hi,

I thought comfort lighting just added lights around the footwells and doors?
I originally wanted a shower then found out about the £25 alternative to attach to the sink.

I read the thread on LED lights, mccl made this comment:

"I've followed a lot of the threads on LEDs and I think that you could summarise the situation as:

Standard Beach (H4) - everyone thinks these are pants.
Standard Ocean (or Beach+exterior pack) (H7) - views range from adequate to OK, but some would prefer LEDs.
LEDs - very good, but some get flashed at by oncoming drivers.

I haven't ordered LEDs on our new Ocean. I think that they are expensive and we probably don't do enough rural night-time driving for LEDs to be worth it."

So it sounds like Ocean lights are better than beach (they're double vs single halogen). Without interrogating all the negative comments about the halogen lights it's difficult to tell if these are about Beach's or Oceans.

Like you say I've got to be happy with it and not have regrets

HD-rollbars are a cheap and real improvement to handling in my opinion. We rented one without it and now have bought one with it based on advice from the forum. Corners are much nicer now and the ride is not stiffer than without.
I love the ACC but would not by the comfort mattress. Aftermarket toppers let you have the shelf in the high position and are more comfortable than the VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't find HD rollbars on the configurator.

How do after marker toppers allow you to adjust the shelf higher?

Hi,

I thought comfort lighting just added lights around the footwells and doors?
I originally wanted a shower then found out about the £25 alternative to attach to the sink.

I read the thread on LED lights, mccl made this comment:

"I've followed a lot of the threads on LEDs and I think that you could summarise the situation as:

Standard Beach (H4) - everyone thinks these are pants.
Standard Ocean (or Beach+exterior pack) (H7) - views range from adequate to OK, but some would prefer LEDs.
LEDs - very good, but some get flashed at by oncoming drivers.

I haven't ordered LEDs on our new Ocean. I think that they are expensive and we probably don't do enough rural night-time driving for LEDs to be worth it."

So it sounds like Ocean lights are better than beach (they're double vs single halogen). Without interrogating all the negative comments about the halogen lights it's difficult to tell if these are about Beach's or Oceans.

Like you say I've got to be happy with it and not have regrets

I think the assessment of the H4, H7 and LED lights you quoted is correct.

It is a lot of extra money to move from adequate H7s to superb LEDs.

Had I understood the H4, H7 and LED differences at the time of ordering, I may well have upgraded my Beach lights from H4 to H7, and not to LED.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I can't find HD rollbars on the configurator.

How do after marker toppers allow you to adjust the shelf higher?
When I ordered the HD roll-bar was option 2MF.

I have the Calibed topper from Calicap.de. All 3 parts are samme thickness so with the shelf in the high position you get a flat bed with an equally thick mattress covering both shelf and bench. Brandrup does the same.
The VW comfort mattress have the shelf in the low position, thick mattress over the shelf and thin mattress over the bench. So less storage space and less comfort with the VW mattress.

Good morning,

That's sounds like a lovely specification. We got our California as a demo model so we had no saying in the configuration. But here is my thoughts based on our usage so far .

LED lights
We have the standard H7 lights. I feel they are good, no problems here (and that is using small country roads in Kildare). I would go for LED lights if money isn't a problem . Have I said that, what are the follow up costs? Replace LED, get it repaired....

DSG
We have manual, but I miss the automatic .

Engine size
I was concerned with the power output of the 150 HP engine. It is not a racing car, but more than adequate to go with the traffic flow.

Bicycle holder
The holder came with the van, looks good but I am not sure if it is practical. we haven't used it a lot. Only last week really for the first time. To get a bike up there and fix it's difficult (to say the least). If it is not a light racing bike I can't do it on my own. Also if bikes are on the holder I don't believe it is easy to open the boot. Also if bikes are on the holder and the roof is up, can you open the boot or will the bikes be in the way?

If I would be in a position to configure a new Ocean I would go for the tow bar and a bike holder.

Radio
We have the standard radio with VW connect app. This works well.

Springs
I believe we have the HD rollbar (but I am not sure). It is terrible, it is as hard as it gets. Driving on rough roads is painful.

Regards,
Eberhard

When I ordered the HD roll-bar was option 2MF.

I have the Calibed topper from Calicap.de. All 3 parts are samme thickness so with the shelf in the high position you get a flat bed with an equally thick mattress covering both shelf and bench. Brandrup does the same.
The VW comfort mattress have the shelf in the low position, thick mattress over the shelf and thin mattress over the bench. So less storage space and less comfort with the VW mattress.

Ah that makes sense - is the overall stack height of the mattress a lot higher as a result of raising the shelf?

Ah that makes sense - is the overall stack height of the mattress a lot higher as a result of raising the shelf?

As you can see on the pictures a ticker mattress and a raised shelf makes it higher. But the only thing I usually put on top of the mattress is our duvets and pillows. Occasionally a jacket goes there to, but I want it to be very simple to make up the bed, so I do not want to shift anything to do that.
To me, one of the main benefits of the California is the ability to make and break camp very quickly, since we most often do not stay long in one spot.

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

Back