Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New van going from a Bach tour to an Ocean

B

BikesandOcean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
SO, we have decided that the new T7 van won’t have what we need , the main thing being 5 seats, so the T6.1 which is now mature is the best option. We curt have a 7 seat beach tour t6.1 so why the change , well the kids have got old we have one less on tour with us now so time to go to the full Ocean. Our spec is as follow;
150dsg engine ( we are not towing and 4 motion means no 5th seat)
Cherry red ( most fun colour left)
sports pack ( got to love the 18” wheels)
5th seat
outdoor shower
extra drawers
Tow bar( going for tow bar mount bike rack this time)
aslo look for deal fit 30mm Lower kit
and local firm to dot PPF nand ceramic coating

Have I missed anything?

SO, we have decided that the new T7 van won’t have what we need , the main thing being 5 seats, so the T6.1 which is now mature is the best option. We curt have a 7 seat beach tour t6.1 so why the change , well the kids have got old we have one less on tour with us now so time to go to the full Ocean. Our spec is as follow;
5th seat
outdoor shower
extra drawers

Have I missed anything?
What bike rack did you have before (I love the utility look of the VW tailgate one, but appreciate it could have its share of issues) ?

What bike rack did you have before (I love the utility look of the VW tailgate one, but appreciate it could have its share of issues)

We had the VW one, issues Around need to unload bike rack to get into boot, so when setting up camp you had to unload the rack. second issue is height as partner is 5’1” so this was tricky, then theres the always carrying a bike rack with you

We had the VW one, issues Around need to unload bike rack to get into boot, so when setting up camp you had to unload the rack. second issue is height as partner is 5’1” so this was tricky, then theres the always carrying a bike rack with you
Thanks. I see many owners lifting boot with bikes still loaded - did you ever consider this?

I often setup with 3 bikes still on the VW bike rack. I carry a pole to keep the tailgate open with the extra weight. Works fine..

Thanks. I see many owners lifting boot with bikes still loaded - did you ever consider this?
Not really as I don’t think it’s designed that way and concerned ab damage to the tailgate with load attache, the towbar looks a more elegant solutio, as it’s lower, and hands the access opt designed in from the outset

18” wheels look nice but if we had our time again we’d spec 17” which come with a spare.

Also we’d spec the heated windscreen - if that’s a current option.

I’d add the 80ltr fuel tank. The extra range is pretty useful on long trips (IMHO).

I’d also consider the art velour seats unless you’ve got plans for covers or a retrim. The standard fabric stains just by looking at it!
Agree with both comments. 80 litre tank helped in the Highlands this year. We’ve got standard seats with the ridiculously light fabric - would push to get art velour.

5th seat
outdoor shower
extra drawers

Have I missed anything?
Unless you’ve got a dog the outdoor shower is a waste of money. Also many sites have dog wash areas to avoid a muddy patch outside the van.

Unless you’ve got a dog the outdoor shower is a waste of money. Also many sites have dog wash areas to avoid a muddy patch outside the van.
Agreed. Or you’re a fell runner or mountain biker. Useful for cleaning off legs or bikes. Having said that, there’s no water pressure and you’d be better off getting something like the below at half the price (if you have room). I’m a fell running dog owner and used the built in shower once since I got the van in July.

Agreed. Or you’re a fell runner or mountain biker. Useful for cleaning off legs or bikes. Having said that, there’s no water pressure and you’d be better off getting something like the below at half the price (if you have room). I’m a fell running dog owner and used the built in shower once since I got the van in July.

Also very handy for sandy feet at the beach

Back