Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Change from an Ocean

I am looking at the same option to have something more camper than car based. May end up keeping the beach a while longer as a second (third) vehicle, but definitely exploring the 6m market. Turns out there is a huge choice of manufacturers with all sorts of options and similarities: Adria, La Strada, Westfalia etc. For me priority is winter use (overnight before/after skiing), so winterised, sleeps 3, 4x4 (if possible), but also being able to chuck a bike or 3 in the back and be able to tour off grid. Suspect I will be waiting for the next motorhome show (UK or Germany) to make a decision but it seems like once the requirements are fixed, options will be easily identified. Good luck with your search.

I am looking at the same option to have something more camper than car based. May end up keeping the beach a while longer as a second (third) vehicle, but definitely exploring the 6m market. Turns out there is a huge choice of manufacturers with all sorts of options and similarities: Adria, La Strada, Westfalia etc. For me priority is winter use (overnight before/after skiing), so winterised, sleeps 3, 4x4 (if possible), but also being able to chuck a bike or 3 in the back and be able to tour off grid. Suspect I will be waiting for the next motorhome show (UK or Germany) to make a decision but it seems like once the requirements are fixed, options will be easily identified. Good luck with your search.
GC not suitable winter use. When is inside temp reach 7C, auto protect is dump all water to outside for protect boiler and other pipes. Only if can maintain 7C higher inside temp can using GC winter, or if not need any water because 110L tank is automatic make empty.

GC not suitable winter use. When is inside temp reach 7C, auto protect is dump all water to outside for protect boiler and other pipes. Only if can maintain 7C higher inside temp can using GC winter, or if not need any water because 110L tank is automatic make empty.
Maybe I didn’t make it clear but I am looking at alternatives to the GC because they meet the requirements. My comment was about the wide variety of non VW options.

I hear this a lot on the hymer forums and it puzzles me.

If the van is being used in winter then the temperature inside is unlikely to drop to the point that the water dump in the hot water boiler activates.

I've got the same system on my Ayers Rock, was quite warm and comfortable in minus 5 last night and have never drained the water from either waste tank, boiler or fresh water.I would do if I was going to store it over winter but that's not the case.

This is the same for virtually every motorhome, 99% use exactly the same Truma heating / boiler system & need a clothes peg on auto dump button when the temperatures drop.
After that its a case of winterising the tanks - a combination of insulation,
tank heaters & keeping the van warm.

Good afternoon,

There are a lot of very good camper vans and motorhomes out there. I would love to get a Hymer M-LT 580 4x4 or Hymer Grand Canyon Crossover.

Eura camper vans seems to be at least very interesting.

The top of the list would be an Iveco from Bimobile. But it seems they have a lead time of 2 1/2 years! And they are not cheap.

I might be wrong, but it looks to me that there are only a standard of the shelf campers available in Ireland. Hymer would be one of them, but the official Hymer dealer is in Letterkenney ... (maybe I have to move).

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

There are a lot of very good camper vans and motorhomes out there. I would love to get a Hymer M-LT 580 4x4 or Hymer Grand Canyon Crossover.

Eura camper vans seems to be at least very interesting.

The top of the list would be an Iveco from Bimobile. But it seems they have a lead time of 2 1/2 years! And they are not cheap.

I might be wrong, but it looks to me that there are only a standard of the shelf campers available in Ireland. Hymer would be one of them, but the official Hymer dealer is in Letterkenney ... (maybe I have to move).

Regards,
Eberhard

I don't know how har Letterkenney is to you but the dealer I bought my hymer from is 380 miles from me :)

Shame - otherwise perfect & competitive price.
Is the upstairs bed suitable for your needs?, its not full size by any means. As for rear travel seats, there is no comparison to the Cali as we found out with a Westy Club Joker. They are generally too upright and with nothing for shoulder/elbow to lean on like the cali fridge etc.

I moved to a GC600 last year from T5 Cali SE and have absolutely no regrets. The biggest difference is not having to faff about with portaloos, awnings and rearranging things morning and night.
Thats what why we are looking.

However we are at decision time & we have 3 of the family saying yes & 3 saying no. ( the dog doesn't get a vote but would probably go for the GC) Now wondering whether to sell the Morgan & try both GC and Ocean. The 3 that say yes are the ones that will come camping, the three that say no are the ones that come as a passenger when its used for student / football etc transport.

I could really do with a 500 mile in a day test drive. Thats what I love about the Ocean I can drive it all day - whether for work or on holiday & get out at the other end feeling fine.
Ive done the 350 mile round trip to Manchester twice in a weekend more times than I can remember & honestly cant think of a better vehicle for doing it in. We blast down to Spain without even thinking about it, sitting comfortably at 90mph when needed.

I am just concerned that a GC will end up like our old 8m Rollerteam, not moving between holidays, 60mph was ok, anything faster was too noisy and the fuel consumption dropped to about 12mpg at 70mph which made progress slow & the only reason I'd drive the thing would be to get from site to site. Whereas the Ocean we will go out for a drive just because we can.

Is the upstairs bed suitable for your needs?, its not full size by any means. As for rear travel seats, there is no comparison to the Cali as we found out with a Westy Club Joker. They are generally too upright and with nothing for shoulder/elbow to lean on like the cali fridge etc.

Upstairs bed is fine - the 18yr old is very short, the 12 year old is taller but it will be just her up there on her own most of the time. The width is better than in the Ocean & thats the important bit. I tried it & can fit in the side with the extension, just couldn't roll over as my shoulders are too wide.

Was thinking with my metalworking skills etc & could fit a folding arm off a front seat on a bracket for one end of the bench.
It is the rear that worries me, they currently slump all over the place propped up against cushions & far enough apart to have their own space.

I don't know how har Letterkenney is to you but the dealer I bought my hymer from is 380 miles from me :)
Hi Jen

(I’m assuming you still have the cali.)
But
what’s your go to van to go away in now after owning the hymer a while
I have owned loads and still do love California’s but it’s definitely an easier experience in my opinion owning a 6mtr van

However we are at decision time & we have 3 of the family saying yes & 3 saying no. ( the dog doesn't get a vote but would probably go for the GC) Now wondering whether to sell the Morgan & try both GC and Ocean. The 3 that say yes are the ones that will come camping, the three that say no are the ones that come as a passenger when its used for student / football etc transport.

I could really do with a 500 mile in a day test drive. Thats what I love about the Ocean I can drive it all day - whether for work or on holiday & get out at the other end feeling fine.
Ive done the 350 mile round trip to Manchester twice in a weekend more times than I can remember & honestly cant think of a better vehicle for doing it in. We blast down to Spain without even thinking about it, sitting comfortably at 90mph when needed.

I am just concerned that a GC will end up like our old 8m Rollerteam, not moving between holidays, 60mph was ok, anything faster was too noisy and the fuel consumption dropped to about 12mpg at 70mph which made progress slow & the only reason I'd drive the thing would be to get from site to site. Whereas the Ocean we will go out for a drive just because we can.
i don’t own a GC I nearly did but I had some small issues with them .but I own a Westfalia Sven hedin and my opinion is its a nice place to be very much like driving a t6 and very similar layout but with more vision bigger glass more space between the seats.had many California’s and they are car like the crafter takes a car like drive but with more room it feels spacious
I love jumping in our van it feels like we’re going on holiday I have a t6 for a daytime driving and I love that too both are great

@andyinluton this is the dilemma of so many people.
All vans have their pros and cons.
A friend of mine has gone T5 to T5.1 LWB to Sprinter and now some weird box van 4x4 thing, progressively getting bigger and bigger each time.

Now he’s not happy about the box van sitting around and not getting much use and talking about trying out a California.

Unless I was retired travelling full time 3/4month trips, I think the Cali is a happy medium. Especially if you can manage without an awning.
Are you able to do a long test/hire of a bigger van to see how it fits into your circumstances…?

3 degrees C it dumps the water, and who the heck is inside their van and letting it get down to 3 degrees inside!

I've used it through this winter and never had it dump the water unless I wasn't using the van, which is the whole point and a good thing.

Last edited:
Keep the California and add a Caravan as and when needed. ;)
I had considered an Eriba, but the wife would want an 8ft wide twin axle job.

Iv'e run out of room on the drive, a caravan would mean storage elsewhere so not conducive to a quick weekend get away.

Towing a 22ft wobble box round the NC500 Isn't my idea of fun, also tow anything behind a cali in France & its 55mph limit on the motorway.

If I do change from the Ocean, I may have to change the Morgan for something a bit more practical - like a new Morgan. So suddenly Im spending an extra £40k just to have an ensuite in the van. That same £40k would get us a villa with a pool for about 60 weeks off peak in Spain.

You won't have to worry about the driving, as it's so nice to drive. I drive 2,500 miles to Spain and back in my Fiat Ducator based motorhome which is what made me buy the GC. So much nicer!!

My 11 year old daughter has been in the rear seats for a 4 hour stint so far and never mentioned any comfort issues. I do agree it could be softer though. I may invest in a topper for it.

Might need to check speed limits in France as they brought Motorhomes into line with Commercial vehicle speed limits.
I've not bothered to check as Cali not restricted, did get worried after getting flashed by a Motorway Speed Camera but nothing came through.

Replacing the rear seats with a pair of cream leather (heated) ones from a high spec car wouldn't be that expensive or difficult and solve any comfort issues.
Pristine rear seats to be put back in at selling time.

I've considered the GC but tend to favour the Conversion Manufacturers, Hymer etc.
Reason being that it is their Business to do mobile leisure vehicles and use Commercially available parts for heating, water, cooking etc.
VW use of integrated computerised control seems to create problems that aren't needed in a leisure vehicle.

Having 2 different service agents to deal with can seem an issue but it keeps the original van being dealt with by a fully experienced setup, VW or whoever and the leisure part by a dedicated leisure vehicle workshop.
Exactly the reason I didn't go down this route, again.

Have you ever owned a motorhome? My previous one's have all had issues with build quality.

The GC is my 4th motorhome and certainly the most well built. Once I'd sorted a rattle from the fly screen it now is a real pleasure to own and drive.

The cupboards are a bit of a let down storage-wise and why they put the leisure battery under the bonnet is a mystery to me, they feel like a first time build/not well thought out issue, but no huge problem.

My control panel has frozen once which was quickly resolved by a quick reboot.

The GC also uses commercially available parts for the heating (Truma), water and cooking (Thetford) so not sure what you meant there.

Exactly the reason I didn't go down this route, again.

Have you ever owned a motorhome? My previous one's have all had issues with build quality.

The GC is my 4th motorhome and certainly the most well built. Once I'd sorted a rattle from the fly screen it now is a real pleasure to own and drive.

The cupboards are a bit of a let down storage-wise and why they put the leisure battery under the bonnet is a mystery to me, they feel like a first time build/not well thought out issue, but no huge problem.

The GC also uses commercially available parts for the heating (Truma), water and cooking (Thetford) so not sure what you meant there.
Yes had a Motorhome,
Migrated from tents to Frame tents to folding Trailer tents to Caravans to Motorhome to Holiday Home then added Cali.

Was warned about noises in Motorhome as you don't near the noise inside a Caravan when towing. Certainly everything seemed to rattle and took packing & wrapping to quieten down.
Strangely anticipated rattling in Cali never happened, possible due to experience in how to store things and what not to take.

From what I've read about the GC VW seem to try to integrate control of heater etc as they have done in the T6.1 which can suffer from Software Programming complications.

Might need to check speed limits in France as they brought Motorhomes into line with Commercial vehicle speed limits.
I've not bothered to check as Cali not restricted, did get worried after getting flashed by a Motorway Speed Camera but nothing came through.
That comment about speed limits got me checking - I can only find one website that suggests a 3.5Tnne GC is treated differently to an Ocean in France & about 20 that say its the same ie 130kmh on a motorway. Thats assuming an Ocean is classed as a Campervan & the GC as a motorhome.

Yes had a Motorhome,
Migrated from tents to Frame tents to folding Trailer tents to Caravans to Motorhome to Holiday Home then added Cali.

Was warned about noises in Motorhome as you don't near the noise inside a Caravan when towing. Certainly everything seemed to rattle and took packing & wrapping to quieten down.
Strangely anticipated rattling in Cali never happened, possible due to experience in how to store things and what not to take.

From what I've read about the GC VW seem to try to integrate control of heater etc as they have done in the T6.1 which can suffer from Software Programming complications.
I'm not sure if they've ironed out most glitches now as, touch wood, I've barely had any issues but only owned my GC a few months from brand new.

I love the control panel, so much better than multiple different systems to have to use and yes computers do tend to go wrong at times! You still have access to the truma panel etc through if you want to run your system that way, or the control panel stops responding.

I've seen a few threads here where members said they had to have the panel replaced because it had frozen. I asked whether they had tried a reboot but never heard back from anyone.

Some of the GC is definitely form over function though.

3 degrees C it dumps the water, and who the heck is inside their van and letting it get down to 3 degrees inside!

I've used it through this winter and never had it dump the water unless I wasn't using the van, which is the whole point and a good thing.
Temperatures during the day in the mountains (Scotland,alps,etc) can stay below 3 that means if you are off grid then you waste diesel and leisure battery power to stop van doing it.
Having heated tanks is a very good idea.

I had considered an Eriba, but the wife would want an 8ft wide twin axle job.

Iv'e run out of room on the drive, a caravan would mean storage elsewhere so not conducive to a quick weekend get away.

Towing a 22ft wobble box round the NC500 Isn't my idea of fun, also tow anything behind a cali in France & its 55mph limit on the motorway.

If I do change from the Ocean, I may have to change the Morgan for something a bit more practical - like a new Morgan. So suddenly Im spending an extra £40k just to have an ensuite in the van. That same £40k would get us a villa with a pool for about 60 weeks off peak in Spain.
I have gone full circle in my campers/motorhomes went from California to A class motor home and back to GC. The main reason for going from California was to get bathroom and now I wouldn't do without as makes trips that whole lot more comfortable. One thing is for sure I will never by a white box motorhome again and will stick with Van builds as the build/noise/warranty issues in my eyes are not worth the hassle. I have now had my GC 680 since Sept and had VW sort out my snags without worrying if warranty will be accepted etc and if dealer will be interested. So if you do consider alternatives find one that has good backup!

In terms of your original questions:

1. Rear seats are upright but certainly more comfortable than they look. We only travel the two of us so don't use whilst driving. May be worth renting a GC for weekend to see how kids get on.
2. Have standard headlights and seems fine
3. I went Diesel option on heating as really didn't want to screw around with gas bottles when travelling around Europe. You can't get Color gas bottles in Europe and would really need to fit refillable bottles so by time you have done this I thought might as well pay for diesel heater and not have stress of refilling gas after all you should always have diesel in tank :)
4. Speakers were not option but would have certainly gone for them
5. Hot used in hot conditions yet so can't answer but will be looking at getting one of these long term as good option for occasional air con https://www.coolmycamper.com
nothing I can add to 6 & 7

Good luck with whichever option you go for but I am very happy with my GC and from driving point its a joy especially compared to the Fiat base on my old A class!

Back