Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It happened - change from T6 Ocean to Grand California 600

So far it was a long week and an even longer day (well, yesterday). But it is done - we changed our T6 Ocean against a Grand California 600.

What happened....?

Well, I don't know really. Everything happened very fast.

We got our T6 Ocean in November 2017 and were happy with the camper. We got a lot of accessories and to make it more practical and used it in various countries in Europe (and of course in Ireland). It was my daily drive used to go to work, shopping or day trips.

Because of the pandemic we had a long break using the camper (as everybody else). The travel restrictions, at least for Ireland, changed and we were allowed to travel. So of we went. Our first trip after almost 13x months was to Killarney for a few days and after that up to Norther Ireland for another few days.

But there was no real enjoyment coming up. Everything felt so, hm, cumbersome. Making the beds in the evening, taking down the beds in the morning, bending down to get something out of the drawers for breakfast or so, get into the wardrobe to get something out. Strangely it was not as it use to be. If felt as there was no room to move. So we decided that the time has come to get a bigger vehicle.

It seems that in Ireland there are only about 3x bigger motorhome dealers. We visited a few of them or gave them a call. But as expected there where no camper vans available (almost none) in the entire state. So, just to get some information we decided last week to contact our VW dealer. The choice was either a Buerstner or Hymer or something like that or a Grand California. I was interested in the Grand California 680, but had never seen one. So I asked if there is one in Ireland. There was one but with the steering wheel on the left side. So no option for us. But our dealer had several GC 600 on stock. So we had a good look and test (drive) that day (it was Wednesday last week).
My wife was not in favour of the GC 680 because it is rather long. She preferred the GC 600 even though it is a bit higher (just only 14 cm, but I think it looks much higher). That day later in the afternoon we discussed the options and we made the decision to get one of the GC 600 in white. The plan is to wrap it and get the design it the way we like.

Today (well, better to say yesterday) we collected the camper! Well, it was an exciting morning. We went for a short drive afterwards and started the setup later in the afternoon. Water, gas, electricity, We Connect, toilet, etc. Water (cold and warm) is checked. I wanted to check the heating too, but I forgot. It was too late.

So that is the story. Friday we are off to Glencolumbkille in Donegal for a few days. We plan to use the recommended overnight parking lots. Now I am totally exhausted, time for bed. I will put up some pictures of the camper after we have it wrapped.

Happy Grand California
Eberhard

PS
During the next days I will put up some first impressions. Now it is too late.
Hi Eberhard,
Wish you all the very best with your new Grand California. If I had all the money in the world I would have one of each vehicles (Coast and Grand). Looking forward to seeing pictures of it. I will keep an eye out for you on the roads - I live in Cavan but am from Kildare. It would be nice some day to organise a meet of Irish Californias.
Safe travels,
Georgina

Hi Eberhard,
Wish you all the very best with your new Grand California. If I had all the money in the world I would have one of each vehicles (Coast and Grand). Looking forward to seeing pictures of it. I will keep an eye out for you on the roads - I live in Cavan but am from Kildare. It would be nice some day to organise a meet of Irish Californias.
Safe travels,
Georgina

Hello Georgina,

I was sad to let the Ocean go. It was a wonderful vehicle. I loved it as a daily drive and for day trips (I will miss my "elevenses" with my dog in Donadea. Ah well, I try to get in there with the GC too.

I was also hoping that a "Irish California" meeting could be organized. Maybe next year when the Covid Crisis is under control.

Happy Californias,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

We are back from Donegal. While we were out and about I got an email from my VW dealer to confirm that my GC 600 has no car alarm. The LED on the driver's door is for the immobilizer.

"Alarm systems are not a requirement in the Irish market just the immobilizer system." :oops:

I rang Pandora Car Alarm to make an appointment to install "Pandora Camper mini". At the end it is a far better product as the standard VW alarm.

Just some feedback about our trip:

Driving
The GC drives wonderfully, I love it. The automatic is brilliant, power more than enough, steering nice especially if one has to manoever in narrow places or twisty bendy roads.
What hurts (even though expected) the GC 600 burns 10.5 l diesel. That is quite a lot. That means I must refeuel latest about 620 km.

Bed
Brilliant, so much better as in the Ocean. In the Ocean I had every morning pain in the back, not after the 2x nights in Dongeal. I love it.

Wetroom
Well, in theory it works fine, in practise I believe something is not ok. After a shower there was water outside. The SOG System in the wee cabinet is wet inside. I can't believe this is ok. I got up at night at about 4 am to look after the dog, there was some water on the floor also (no, it was not the dog). Also during a shower the water stopped several times. Water pressure was not that great either (I don't expect the same as at home, but a wee bit more).

Is it wet in your wee cabinet in the wetroom?

Kitchen
The gas cooker is good, better as in the Ocean. The sink was ok, but no water pressure on the tap, but it dripped.

Storage
I feel that storage is no practical in the GC. There is no much room in the boxes and storage in the kitchen is restricted.

Practicallity
Well, VW had a good idea to build the GC on a Crafter. The van itself very good. The rest there is so much room for improvements. For instance:
The USB sockets at the end of the bed. Firstly it is only for one person and when the cable is pluged in, it can be easily be damanged. Why is there not another USB plug beside the kitchen?
There is room to add bags to the wall for spices or other small things or for a kichen role.

Windows
The windows are ok.
We have the problem that the front skylite only opens about 5 cm (how far does your skylite open?). The back skylite does not open at all.

Just my first impressions. Beside that it is a brilliant camper. Many people stopped and asked us about the vehicle. The possiblity to have all facility in the camper gives us so much more opportunities. We love this.

The camper will go to VW next week Tuesday and the following week to get the alarm installed. Either in between or afterwards we will be out and about again.

Happy free California,
Eberhard
I've been following your updates with much interest. Congrats and well wear on your
Good afternoon,

We are back from Donegal. While we were out and about I got an email from my VW dealer to confirm that my GC 600 has no car alarm. The LED on the driver's door is for the immobilizer.

"Alarm systems are not a requirement in the Irish market just the immobilizer system." :oops:

I rang Pandora Car Alarm to make an appointment to install "Pandora Camper mini". At the end it is a far better product as the standard VW alarm.

Driving
The GC drives wonderfully, I love it. The automatic is brilliant, power more than enough, steering nice especially if one has to manoever in narrow places or twisty bendy roads.
What hurts (even though expected) the GC 600 burns 10.5 l diesel. That is quite a lot. That means I must refeuel latest about 620 km.

Bed
Brilliant, so much better as in the Ocean. In the Ocean I had every morning pain in the back, not after the 2x nights in Dongeal. I love it.

Wetroom
Well, in theory it works fine, in practise I believe something is not ok. After a shower there was water outside. The SOG System in the wee cabinet is wet inside. I can't believe this is ok. I got up at night at about 4 am to look after the dog, there was some water on the floor also (no, it was not the dog). Also during a shower the water stopped several times. Water pressure was not that great either (I don't expect the same as at home, but a wee bit more).

Kitchen
The gas cooker is good, better as in the Ocean. The sink was ok, but no water pressure on the tap, but it dripped.

Storage
I feel that storage is no practical in the GC. There is no much room in the boxes and storage in the kitchen is restricted.

Practicallity
Well, VW had a good idea to build the GC on a Crafter. The van itself very good. The rest there is so much room for improvements. For instance:
The USB sockets at the end of the bed. Firstly it is only for one person and when the cable is pluged in, it can be easily be damanged. Why is there not another USB plug beside the kitchen?
There is room to add bags to the wall for spices or other small things or for a kichen role.

Windows
The windows are ok.
We have the problem that the front skylite only opens about 5 cm (how far does your skylite open?). The back skylite does not open at all.

Just my first impressions. Beside that it is a brilliant camper. Many people stopped and asked us about the vehicle. The possiblity to have all facility in the camper gives us so much more opportunities. We love this.

The camper will go to VW next week Tuesday and the following week to get the alarm installed. Either in between or afterwards we will be out and about again.

Happy free California,
Eberhard
I've been following your updates and thoughts the past few days, well wear and many years of safe travelling and camping in your Grand California we may cross paths along the way along the Irish roads.

Good afternoon,

Driving

Bed

Wetroom

Kitchen

Storage

Practicallity

Windows
The windows are ok.

Happy free California,
Eberhard
Hi Eberhard,

for the wetroom problem (water leaking under the door/floor) there is a solution.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/grand-cali-600-shower-leak.41096/
ask your dealer

Bart

This afternoon I will clean the van at least from the inside (lot's of sand after the beaches in Donegal), but before I forget a question.

On first glance I couldn't find any information about the LED lights in the manual. I was wondering if somebody found a web page with more detailed information.

For example, I thought to remember that there were some configuration options on the T6 going onto the continent. I was wondering if this is possible on the GC as well.

Happy shining California,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

Driving

Bed

Wetroom

Kitchen

Storage

Practicallity

Windows
The windows are ok.

Happy free California,
Eberhard
Hi

Congratulations on your new purchase!
Our 680 went in for kitchen tap/pump problem and came back with a strip on the bottom of the shower door. Seems VW have instructed dealers to put this on whenever they go in for other things!

Linda

Just a short update:

I brought the camper to VW first thing this morning. There is a small list of issues to fix:
  • To fix both skylights
  • Control unit (camping mode)
  • Sliding door (closes only when slammed)
  • Inside door locking switch (very flimsy, needs to be pressed 3x or 4x times before it works)
  • Tap kitchen (drops)
  • Water in wet room cabinet (quite wet inside where the SOG system is)
  • Shower (suddenly no water, comes back sometimes)
  • Water inside the shower tray (even though the tray was dry, after a few hours there is a puddle)
I hope I will get the camper back on Friday (one lives in hope).

An appointment to get the "Pandora Camper Mini" car alarm installed will be made for next week. Today we will visit two companies to talk about wrapping.

Happy, hopefully soon repaired, California,
Eberhard

Just a short update:

I brought the camper to VW first thing this morning. There is a small list of issues to fix:
  • To fix both skylights
  • Inside door locking switch (very flimsy, needs to be pressed 3x or 4x times before it works)
  • Tap kitchen (drops)
  • Water inside the shower tray (even though the tray was dry, after a few hours there is a puddle)
I hope I will get the camper back on Friday (one lives in hope).

An appointment to get the "Pandora Camper Mini" car alarm installed will be made for next week. Today we will visit two companies to talk about wrapping.

Happy, hopefully soon repaired, California,
Eberhard
Eberhard
Guess we all have to go through the niggles, have been away now for 4 weeks and have a few myself
Step not retracting. Intermittent
Galley worktop has developed yellow glue stains
Would be interested in knowing issue with control panel.
Previously had a 600 and door wouldn’t close unless really slammed. However ok On my 680
Will

Here is another update:

I collected the camper from VW dealer this afternoon:
  • To fix both skylights
The back skylight is fixed. I am happy with that.
The front skylight still opens only a few centimeter (maybe a third of the back one). VW said that is normal.
If you have a GC600 does your skylights open equally wide (about 30 cm or so)?
Was not discussed
It is not very hard that the sliding door needs to be shut, but I thought it would be to hard. I've been told that is normal. I accept this and tick it as done.
Was not discussed
  • Tap kitchen (drops)
Will be looked into as part of the other water related work
I will combine those topics. The tap is leaking and so is responsable for the water leakage and water pressure. Part is not available in Ireland (I have never expected that) and was ordered in Germany (surprise). I've been told that the lead time for the tap in the wet room is about 5 working days (and time starts now....). I will be contacted when the part arrives. VW will need my camper for 2x full days to get the work done (suppose to be a good bit of work. To replace a tap?).

Never the less, if possible we will use the camper to get away at least for another few days.

Happy waiting California,
Eberhard

Here is another update:

I collected the camper from VW dealer this afternoon:
  • To fix both skylights
The back skylight is fixed. I am happy with that.
The front skylight still opens only a few centimeter (maybe a third of the back one). VW said that is normal.
If you have a GC600 does your skylights open equally wide (about 30 cm or so)?
Was not discussed
It is not very hard that the sliding door needs to be shut, but I thought it would be to hard. I've been told that is normal. I accept this and tick it as done.
Was not discussed
  • Tap kitchen (drops)
Will be looked into as part of the other water related work
I will combine those topics. The tap is leaking and so is responsable for the water leakage and water pressure. Part is not available in Ireland (I have never expected that) and was ordered in Germany (surprise). I've been told that the lead time for the tap in the wet room is about 5 working days (and time starts now....). I will be contacted when the part arrives. VW will need my camper for 2x full days to get the work done (suppose to be a good bit of work. To replace a tap?).

Never the less, if possible we will use the camper to get away at least for another few days.

Happy waiting California,
Eberhard
Yep my tap on my joker took 30 long mins max :thumb
Let’s hope they sort them little teething problems so you can get out and enjoy the van some more.

The GC 600 is back with the Volkswagen dealer...

Just a short upate (again):

I went shopping yesterday and when I came back to the camper, starting the engine the radio, dashboard (middle part), the lights for the buttons on the dashboard and the inside cabin lights were dimmend down so far that nothing was recognizalbe anymore. Because of this it was unsafe to drive.

I thought I made a mistake and dimmend down something. I was close to my VW dealer so I thought I drop in to ask for advice, surely they can fix it in minutes.

They had a short look yesterday and had no idea, so I left the camper with them. At about 6 pm today, I got a call to say that they checked everything, but they don't know what cause this problem. They collect all information and send it on to VW Ireland (oh no...) hoping for advice. If they can't come up with a solution they will contact VW Germany (oh no, no).

It looks that the camper is out for the next days. If I think that we just got the CG 600 just last week Wednesday I feel a bit sick.

I hope there is a good explanation for this. I am starting to lose a wee bit of trust into the vehicle. My wife mentioned good that this happened here and not at the Northcap or even in America.

Sad California,
Eberhard

PS
Just thought about this: we choose the Volkswagen Grand California because it is reliable. Were we wrong? Time will tell...

I went shopping yesterday and when I came back to the camper, starting the engine the radio, dashboard (middle part), the lights for the buttons on the dashboard and the inside cabin lights were dimmend down so far that nothing was recognizalbe anymore. Because of this it was unsafe to drive.

I thought I made a mistake and dimmend down something. I was close to my VW dealer so I thought I drop in to ask for advice, surely they can fix it in minutes.

They had a short look yesterday and had no idea, so I left the camper with them. At about 6 pm today, I got a call to say that they checked everything, but they don't know what cause this problem. They collect all information and send it on to VW Ireland (oh no...) hoping for advice. If they can't come up with a solution they will contact VW Germany (oh no, no).

It looks that the camper is out for the next days. If I think that we just got the CG 600 just last week Wednesday I feel a bit sick.

I hope there is a good explanation for this. I am starting to lose a wee bit of trust into the vehicle. My wife mentioned good that this happened here and not at the Northcap or even in America.

Sad California,
Eberhard

PS
Just thought about this: we choose the Volkswagen Grand California because it is reliable. Were we wrong? Time will tell...
So sorry to read this. Hope you get it sorted soon and all will be good.

Positive California

Steve

Sad California,
Eberhard

PS

I would consider that a teething problem and all being made ready for Nordkapp. Hope it gets resolved soon and you can start planning your Americas and Nordkapp trip soon

FullOfHope California
kurienp

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Very disappointing .

We are still waiting for our GC and I am collecting all possible errors/problems which can occur in the GC.
The list is getting longer....
Yesterday I looked here in the forum(D) and internet (crafter) for similar errors but couldn't find anything like that :( .

Hope for you the problem will be solved quickly.

Bart

I got a phone call from my VW dealer. He explained that VW Ireland said that a controller had to be swapped out. Of course this controller is not available in Ireland and has to come from the UK. They expect it will arrive on Tuesday. Let's see and wait. How long it takes to get the part replaced I didn't ask.

If that is done than the GC 600 officially spend more time in VW than with us :rage

If that is done we still have the open issue with the tap in the wetroom. I already know that the replacement, sealing and testing of the tap will take 2x days.

I hope it is like a good theater play, people say if the last rehearsal before the opening is bad the play will be very good. I hope if all this is done the camper is more reliable.

Not so happy GC 600 owner,
Eberhard

So far it was a long week and an even longer day (well, yesterday). But it is done - we changed our T6 Ocean against a Grand California 600.

What happened....?

Well, I don't know really. Everything happened very fast.

We got our T6 Ocean in November 2017 and were happy with the camper. We got a lot of accessories and to make it more practical and used it in various countries in Europe (and of course in Ireland). It was my daily drive used to go to work, shopping or day trips.

Because of the pandemic we had a long break using the camper (as everybody else). The travel restrictions, at least for Ireland, changed and we were allowed to travel. So of we went. Our first trip after almost 13x months was to Killarney for a few days and after that up to Norther Ireland for another few days.

But there was no real enjoyment coming up. Everything felt so, hm, cumbersome. Making the beds in the evening, taking down the beds in the morning, bending down to get something out of the drawers for breakfast or so, get into the wardrobe to get something out. Strangely it was not as it use to be. If felt as there was no room to move. So we decided that the time has come to get a bigger vehicle.

It seems that in Ireland there are only about 3x bigger motorhome dealers. We visited a few of them or gave them a call. But as expected there where no camper vans available (almost none) in the entire state. So, just to get some information we decided last week to contact our VW dealer. The choice was either a Buerstner or Hymer or something like that or a Grand California. I was interested in the Grand California 680, but had never seen one. So I asked if there is one in Ireland. There was one but with the steering wheel on the left side. So no option for us. But our dealer had several GC 600 on stock. So we had a good look and test (drive) that day (it was Wednesday last week).
My wife was not in favour of the GC 680 because it is rather long. She preferred the GC 600 even though it is a bit higher (just only 14 cm, but I think it looks much higher). That day later in the afternoon we discussed the options and we made the decision to get one of the GC 600 in white. The plan is to wrap it and get the design it the way we like.

Today (well, better to say yesterday) we collected the camper! Well, it was an exciting morning. We went for a short drive afterwards and started the setup later in the afternoon. Water, gas, electricity, We Connect, toilet, etc. Water (cold and warm) is checked. I wanted to check the heating too, but I forgot. It was too late.

So that is the story. Friday we are off to Glencolumbkille in Donegal for a few days. We plan to use the recommended overnight parking lots. Now I am totally exhausted, time for bed. I will put up some pictures of the camper after we have it wrapped.

Happy Grand California
Eberhard

PS
During the next days I will put up some first impressions. Now it is too late.
Congratulations @Eber123. Reading your post and reasons for changing is almost the same as us. We also didn’t see it coming but it did. We’re looking forward to picking up our Malibu DB 540 in the next couple of weeks.

edit: just read the thread, sorry to hear about your problems

Last edited:
I got a phone call from my VW dealer. He explained that VW Ireland said that a controller had to be swapped out. Of course this controller is not available in Ireland and has to come from the UK. They expect it will arrive on Tuesday. Let's see and wait. How long it takes to get the part replaced I didn't ask.

If that is done than the GC 600 officially spend more time in VW than with us :rage

If that is done we still have the open issue with the tap in the wetroom. I already know that the replacement, sealing and testing of the tap will take 2x days.

I hope it is like a good theater play, people say if the last rehearsal before the opening is bad the play will be very good. I hope if all this is done the camper is more reliable.

Not so happy GC 600 owner,
Eberhard

I hope things get sortet well and sooner than expected! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Eber
Sorry to hear scout all your problems. We have a 680 delivered in Jan this year. We spent about 9 days in Ireland on two trips getting used together van. It was recalled to fit the strip under the bathroom door. We are now on our 22 day travelling along the french coast and have had no problems. We live the van

Eber
Sorry to hear scout all your problems. We have a 680 delivered in Jan this year. We spent about 9 days in Ireland on two trips getting used together van. It was recalled to fit the strip under the bathroom door. We are now on our 22 day travelling along the french coast and have had no problems. We live the van
Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I must admit I start to lose a wee bit of faith into the camper.

At the moment I hope that the controller will be delivered on Tuesday, which hopefully will sort the display issue with the radio, the LED at the buttons and the dashboard (middle part).
If this is sorted the main issue is the water leakeage in the cabinet in the wetroom (which seems also responsbile for the lack of water pressure). At some stage the new water tap for the wetroom should arraive next week also.

As small issues I pointed out the button at the C pillar to lock to doors. It is very flimsy and only will work if pressed 2 or 3 times.
The last thing for the moment would be the issue with the front skylight window. It just opens a few centimeter (certainly not as far as the back skylight window). I've been told that is normal, but I don't believe that. How far does your front skylight window open?

If we get back the camper we have to organize to get the car alarm installed (which is not standard) and get it wrapped, but that can wait a wee bit longer.

I hope we won't experience the issue with the microswitch in the sink and the issue with the step.

As soon as the issues are fixed we want to travel in Ireland as much as possible to put the camper under pressure to see that everything is ok. Hopefully it is.

Have a good and save trip.

Waiting for repair California,
Eberhard

This afternoon I've got a phone call from my VW dealer to let me know that the new controller has arrived, installed and the problem is fixed now (hurray!).

Also the tap from the wetroom has arrived and they are just in the process to install it and seal and test everything.

I can expect to collect the GC 600 tomorrow after lunch. Yeah! At this point the camper spend more time in the dealer's workshop than with us :headbang

Tomorrow afternoon I will test a few things and hope that it is better now. For people who are interested I will keep you posted.

Happy (almost) repaired California,
Eberhard

This afternoon I've got a phone call from my VW dealer to let me know that the new controller has arrived, installed and the problem is fixed now (hurray!).

Also the tap from the wetroom has arrived and they are just in the process to install it and seal and test everything.

I can expect to collect the GC 600 tomorrow after lunch. Yeah! At this point the camper spend more time in the dealer's workshop than with us :headbang

Tomorrow afternoon I will test a few things and hope that it is better now. For people who are interested I will keep you posted.

Happy (almost) repaired California,
Eberhard
Hi Eberhard,

Hopefully now you will be trouble free for some time so now enjoy.

Will

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I must admit I start to lose a wee bit of faith into the camper.

At the moment I hope that the controller will be delivered on Tuesday, which hopefully will sort the display issue with the radio, the LED at the buttons and the dashboard (middle part).
If this is sorted the main issue is the water leakeage in the cabinet in the wetroom (which seems also responsbile for the lack of water pressure). At some stage the new water tap for the wetroom should arraive next week also.

As small issues I pointed out the button at the C pillar to lock to doors. It is very flimsy and only will work if pressed 2 or 3 times.
The last thing for the moment would be the issue with the front skylight window. It just opens a few centimeter (certainly not as far as the back skylight window). I've been told that is normal, but I don't believe that. How far does your front skylight window open?

If we get back the camper we have to organize to get the car alarm installed (which is not standard) and get it wrapped, but that can wait a wee bit longer.

I hope we won't experience the issue with the microswitch in the sink and the issue with the step.

As soon as the issues are fixed we want to travel in Ireland as much as possible to put the camper under pressure to see that everything is ok. Hopefully it is.

Have a good and save trip.

Waiting for repair California,
Eberhard
It should have been called Grand ‘California beta version’.

Back