Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New here, looking to buy the Ocean…

There are many owners who opt for the 5th seat only to find that it is under used.

By having the 5th seat it takes up quite a bit of cabin space, so if you do not use it it is an inconvenience.

The 5th seat is a large and heavy component to fit in and remove each time.

So do you really need it?

There are always loads of 5th seats on the second hand market, including here.

Might be better to opt for the non ocean option and have the 3 seat rear bench instead.

I'd certainly look to loan or hire an ocean with the 5th seat to see if it is practical for your needs.

In my eyes the 5th seat option in an ocean only works if you forego the rear boot space, move the bench seat as far as it will go rearwards, Probably ok for a day trip with the family but difficult if you are looking to travel and need to carry a load of camping gear etc......just my opinion on this.
I don't quite understand your point of view; don't get me wrong: Of course everyone can have their opinion about this. This is mine: if someone wants to order the 5th seat, this will probably be because he can use this. We also ordered this and this is only because I will also use ours as a daily vehicle and then I find the California -with cabinets- as a 4-seater too limited: we have two children and sometimes someone will be with us so: 5th seat required. When camping, we are four thus no need to bring the extra seat on holiday. Recommending the beach because it can have a 3-seater sofa can be a bit blunt: people choose a coast or ocean for its layout; otherwise they will choose a beach. It all seems very logical to me. Oh yeah, if you recommend a second-hand 5th seat, it's best to mention that they need the third rail or it will not work ;) this must be ordered because it cannot be mounted afterwards.
Greetings

Only two adults for camping, but we have 3 small grandchildren we regularly look after and it would be useful to have 3 seatbelted seats for their car seats. 5th seat would be removed for camping.

Might just order the 5th seat rail (I assume it’s not a retrofit..?) and buy the seat as/when needed….
If you are looking to use the 5th seat it would be worth asking your dealer about the folding rear bed shelf shown in the T6.1 manual. It appears to have a lifting edge nearest the rear bench to allow the seat to slide back a little bit more. As far as I know, no-one has ever seen one in the flesh or seen it as an order option

The legroom on a T6.1 is slightly better than on the earlier vans with 5 seats in, but if the little ones are in car seats anyway you will be fine. It works especially well if you put the fifth seat on the rails nearest the sink, it then gives you an area inside the slider to get in & strap everyone in. Very useful when its wet etc.

The Ocean works really well as a 5 seater as a daily driver but is a bit more hard work when camping with 5 people. If you don't envisage camping with 5 and only plan to camp with 2 of you it should work perfectly for you.

You won't save much by only ordering the rail & then getting a second hand seat, you also run the risk of not being able to get matching trim. Isn't it about £300 more than just ordering the 3rd rail?

I would also add that depending on how the children get on, there can be a huge advantage being able to separate them the 2 + 1 arrangement in the back gives them a huge amount of room without being able to touch each other.

If you are looking to use the 5th seat it would be worth asking your dealer about the folding rear bed shelf shown in the T6.1 manual. It appears to have a lifting edge nearest the rear bench to allow the seat to slide back a little bit more. As far as I know, no-one has ever seen one in the flesh or seen it as an order option

The legroom on a T6.1 is slightly better than on the earlier vans with 5 seats in, but if the little ones are in car seats anyway you will be fine. It works especially well if you put the fifth seat on the rails nearest the sink, it then gives you an area inside the slider to get in & strap everyone in. Very useful when its wet etc.

The Ocean works really well as a 5 seater as a daily driver but is a bit more hard work when camping with 5 people. If you don't envisage camping with 5 and only plan to camp with 2 of you it should work perfectly for you.

You won't save much by only ordering the rail & then getting a second hand seat, you also run the risk of not being able to get matching trim. Isn't it about £300 more than just ordering the 3rd rail?
Based on how we expect to use the Cali it sounds like the 5th seat will work just fine. I might even make a base for it so I can use it in my office when not in the van…;-)

and yes, the cost of the seat over just adding the rail is a few hundred £s

Based on how we expect to use the Cali it sounds like the 5th seat will work just fine. I might even make a base for it so I can use it in my office when not in the van…;-)

and yes, the cost of the seat over just adding the rail is a few hundred £s
The grand children absolutely love travelling in the Cali, the extra seat is happy being stored/used in the conservatory and is always a talking point/source of amusement when visitors see it.

Re: 5th seat, our thinking is that we look after our 3 young grandchildren and need to be able to have 3 seat belted seats for their car seats (plus us two). We won’t take them camping, so only need it when using the Cali as a daily driver, so will remove it. Our other cars aren’t big enough for 3 car seats plus two adults.

I like heated screens, have them on other car but don’t use it too often.
Heated screen not really needed. Switch the Parking Heater On for 30 mins, All windows defrosted and a warm vehicle as well.

We considered a different mattress topper, but like the factory one as it folds in the right places to sit on the rear load space.

Are there others that fold like that..?
Yes, the VW ‘Comfort’ mattress is a optimistically named at best. We were disappointed with it and replaced it with the Brandrup one which is definitely an improvement in comfort and folds back in the same way. Its thicker by about 10cm total when folded so you lose a bit more boot space but it has been fine for us. There are other options - search Mattress on here and there are lots of threads which are very informative.

We considered a different mattress topper, but like the factory one as it folds in the right places to sit on the rear load space.

Are there others that fold like that..?
After 6 yrs sleeping on the VW Comfort mattress, I wouldn't swap it, nor do we use a mattress topper and we both have absolutely no trouble sleeping.

After 6 yrs sleeping on the VW Comfort mattress, I wouldn't swap it, nor do we use a mattress topper and we both have absolutely no trouble sleeping.
I’m not sure that you are comparing like for like, the T6.1 comfort mattress is different to the earlier ones.

I’m not sure that you are comparing like for like, the T6.1 comfort mattress is different to the earlier ones.
As long as its firm we wouldn't have a problem.

Heated screen not really needed. Switch the Parking Heater On for 30 mins, All windows defrosted and a warm vehicle as well.
Agreed. But i just use a windscreen cover, 30 seconds to put on, 30 secs to remove. way quicker and easier. And I live in Germany, with much tougher winters.
Also the heated windscreen will use battery, which may be more difficult to top up In winter. Unless you have ehu at home. But then that is more faff than placing and removing a 10quid cover…

Agreed. But i just use a windscreen cover, 30 seconds to put on, 30 secs to remove. way quicker and easier. And I live in Germany, with much tougher winters.
Also the heated windscreen will use battery, which may be more difficult to top up In winter. Unless you have ehu at home. But then that is more faff than placing and removing a 10quid cover…
Each to his own. I reverse out of my drive so no good just having the windscreen clear.

An introduction, we’re long time caravaners, now tenters but want a campervan.

Planning of going all-in with a new Cali Ocean.

Hi,

New here as we are just speccing up a California Coast or Ocean.

First question, given the current demand for campervans is it to be expected that there is little or no discount on ordering a new van..? Or do I need to try harder..!?

Edit: I’ve had some offers that equate to a 10% discount with May 22 deliver.

There is an offer at the moment to include 4yrs servicing, 4rs roadside assistance and Caravan Club membership.

The specs we are looking at are as follows, would be useful for any feedback on whats useful or useless..

Ocean 150BHP 7 Speed DSG

Choice of Metallic Paints
Removable Tow Bar
Removable 5th Seat
17” Woodstock alloys
All Weather Tyres
Comfort Mattress
80L Fuel Tank
First Aid Kit With Warning Triangle and Safety vest
All other Ocean features

Cheers

Simon

PS a photo of the colour my Mrs likes (and her getting giddy about it..lol!!)
View attachment 80773
So, I’ve placed our order. Gone for the spec above, but with the dual,tone white/green as per the photo.

im still debating two of the options:-
1. Do I keep the comfort mattress or go for something like the Brandrup mattress
2. do I keep the Woodstock wheels (with the all seasons tyres) or go for the Teresina 18” alloys

Nice issues to have to ponder…;-)

cheers

simon

So, I’ve placed our order. Gone for the spec above, but with the dual,tone white/green as per the photo.

1. Do I keep the comfort mattress or go for something like the Brandrup mattress
2. do I keep the Woodstock wheels (with the all seasons tyres) or go for the Teresina 18” alloys

cheers

simon
The symmetry and arch-filling simplicity make Teresinas a no-regret upgrade to me

T6.1 comfort mattress is very thin dense foam, our van came with one, we took one look & sold it & kept our Brandrup mattress Iextend which is twice the thickness.
The brandrup is slightly -50mm or so too long for the new shorter bed & does hangover the front edge. I don't know if a new Brandrup now is shorter.

T6.1 comfort mattress is very thin dense foam, our van came with one, we took one look & sold it & kept our Brandrup mattress Iextend which is twice the thickness.
The brandrup is slightly -50mm or so too long for the new shorter bed & does hangover the front edge. I don't know if a new Brandrup now is shorter.
Agree, think I might delete the mattress and get the Brandrup…price doesn’t look too different.

Its the same on my Brandrup, which sounds like its a more recent purchase. It was listed for T6, T6.1 as I recall, so I think its the same product. The slight overhang doesn’t bother me at all. Think I need to sell the VW one!

No expense spared for us to get a good nights sleep. We've gone for a double decker Brandrups. One bare, and one with a home made fitted sheet with a cover to stop it getting dirty. Quick to make up and put away. Comfort more important then a loss of storage space. Good resale residual, if and when we decide to sell the Cali.

cheers

simon
Very nice; nice that you kept the 5th seat: if you can use it, order it. We also ordered it. It is indeed best to check the entire set when ordering as you did because without the third rail you can no longer install it afterwards anyway.
And now look up what nice things you can buy for your California; we received an order from Maxxcamp (Germany) today and expect another order from Thais.sl (Spain). And these are not the only things we already ordered for our new campervan :D

Wishing you many pleasant journeys.
Greetings
Calibusje

Yes agree on this, when we bought our Passat 2 years ago was excited to have the option of proper element heated windscreen, but it turned out to be useless and nowhere near as good as fords I had seen it on many years before, I wouldn’t bother with the VW version I have yet to notice it actually doing anything at all!!
Hi Mark

I have the heated front screen and it clears a heavily frozen screen in a matter of minutes (fully) & far faster than using the night heater.

Have you checked the screen is actually working ?

I ordered a new ocean about 3 or 4 weeks ago, there was tell at the time of 10% discounts but in practice I couldn’t find them and got about 6% in the end. I think the 4 years service, warranty, roadside and cc membership expires end on June.
I’ve placed my order for the Ocean spec as per the original post, in Candy White & Bay Leaf Green.

I managed around 8% discount - could have got nearer 10% but would have needed to travel to the deep south and I’d rather use a dealer closer to me. Great service from both dealers so happy with pricing and options. Just have to wait until May 22 for delivery. Looks like the tent will be getting more use this year…;-)

My tuppenorth re. the extra seats. I have two in my multivan and fit/remove them semi regularly. I also live on the 2nd floor in the city centre so have to take them down in the lift while the van is on double yellows.

It’s easy; but they’re around 40kg so get a sack barrow to do most of the work. Care needed when lifting them in and out of the van (or on indoor wooden floors) - they have metal feet and both my van and spare room floors have a couple of gouges from clumsy handling.