Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi new guy looking to buy

Tompoole

Tompoole

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi people
I’m currently looking to join the camper scene , been camping for many many years in my trusty old landrovers and canvas but always promised at 50 I will be a Cali owner...... so next year is the big year .
I’ve been to NEC MH show and viewed wellhouse , vanworx etc and always come back to wanting a VW California....... and luckily I can now afford to buy.....
But , what should I buy ? Really fancy a t6 derv or petrol ?
I really fancy t6 prob 2016 -17 with all new glitches sorted .
Will be looking to buy jan / Feb an any advice will be very much welcome
Cheers for now
Tom

Hiya Tom and welcome.
Do I recognise you from Defender2?

Hi Tom
I'm a new Cali owner and found these forums a mine of information, advice and opinion - it's all here, with the search function particularly useful to shortcut to threads specifically about a certain issue.
My contribution would be DSG transmission with ACC, I drive to Manchester and back on Friday on the stop start M6 and hardly had to use my feet at all !
Anyway enjoy some trawling and enjoy the decision making
:welcome

Hi Tom
I'm a new Cali owner and found these forums a mine of information, advice and opinion - it's all here, with the search function particularly useful to shortcut to threads specifically about a certain issue.
My contribution would be DSG transmission with ACC, I drive to Manchester and back on Friday on the stop start M6 and hardly had to use my feet at all !

Thanks for that , we’ve pretty much decided on DSG derv demo but waiting to pull trigger to see if price drops by a few quid in January....

Tom,
I had to let the USW 110 go :-(
But I'm 7 weeks into my new motor with a full 582 miles under my belt.
I'm expecting to do all the same things as before (well i never really went off road) but with heaps more comfort. The defender was killing me in fuel, and in the evening times and grotty weather, I was always well gel, of other folks roosting up inside their vans.
I'm trying hard not to put as much tat on this one as i did the 110 :)

Hi there
Yes that would be me , still keeping the defender, so will have the best of both worlds

Welcome , wish i could have kept my Def 90 Td5 but needed the cash to buy the Cali back then .
Indeed the best of both worlds...

Hi Tom welcome to the forum. Good luck with your search.

Tom,
I'm expecting to do all the same things as before (well i never really went off road) but with heaps more comfort. The defender was killing me in fuel, and in the evening times and grotty weather, I was always well gel, of other folks roosting up inside their vans.
I'm trying hard not to put as much tat on this one as i did the 110 :)[/QUOTE
Welcome , wish i could have kept my Def 90 Td5 but needed the cash to buy the Cali back then .
Indeed the best of both worlds...

Hi
Definitely can't sell the TD5 90 yet , I need her to work for a living lol

Tom,
I'm trying hard not to put as much tat on this one as i did the 110 :)

hi ya
you had the puma didn't you ? have to say the older engines in the Landrover were better on fuel, could get 25-30 out of the tdi and td5 but the transit engine versions were shocking when working them round villages, they only ever posted good mpg on long journeys ..... even the transit van I had would only get 22mpg start stop local and 30mpg long run.

good to hear you are enjoying life in comfort, we've spent many an evening huddled round camp fire under the Landrover awning hehe.

Hi Tom

cheers , I will add that to the must have list which is growing rapidly but budget isn't lol

Hello Tom,

Firstly a big welcome.

I have just replaced with a diesel DSG 4 motion. If diesel is doomed it is going to take a lot of dooming and I am sure that any disastrous effect on residuals as a result of "Doom imminent" will only happen long after my new vehicle is pretty well worthless anyway!

DSG just makes life so easy.

4 motion because of my penchant for going to places I really shouldn't go to :shocked

Hi
Thanks for reply
As I’ve said earlier , the must have keeps growing .... 4 motion , cruise, climate , sat nav
Seems I’m gonna have to look for older than 2016 with my budget
Cheers for reply

Hello,

We just got our van about 2 weeks ago. Because it was a demo model we had no influence in the configuration. But the options list is so long we would not be able to afford my dream configuration anyway.

We got the California Ocean, 150 HP, manual transmission with a bit of extras.

I had my doubts with the 150 HP, but I was pleasantly surprise, I can live with it. It is not a racehorse but powerful enough to "swim with the traffic". At some stage I might realize that it is under powered (overtaking, mountains etc), but at the moment it is fine.

What I really miss is the automatic. I had a Tiguan for 5 years with automatic so I got use to it. There were other California demo models in Ireland, but all about EUR 8,000 more. That was to much.

4-motion would have been on my wish list, but my train of thoughts was that thousands of VW vans are on the roads in Europe in terrible weather and roads and most of them get where they need to get.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hi people
I’m currently looking to join the camper scene , been camping for many many years in my trusty old landrovers and canvas but always promised at 50 I will be a Cali owner...... so next year is the big year .
I’ve been to NEC MH show and viewed wellhouse , vanworx etc and always come back to wanting a VW California....... and luckily I can now afford to buy.....
But , what should I buy ? Really fancy a t6 derv or petrol ?
I really fancy t6 prob 2016 -17 with all new glitches sorted .
Will be looking to buy jan / Feb an any advice will be very much welcome
Cheers for now
Tom
Good taste in outdoor vehicles buddy you will enjoy the creature comforts of a California

I got rid of my 110 to pay for my Cali. Still have a garage littered with roof rack, dog guards etc in case I can ever afford both.

Back