Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to order, missed anything?

hewittd

hewittd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi There,

We are about to order our first Cali, and I’m wondering what I might have missed…

We are not living in the UK, so some of the options might be a little different? We were originally thinking about a Multivan (or Caravelle as it’s known in the UK) but the beach is not a great deal more expensive and offers the extra practicality of the roof sleeping area. So it will be a regularly use vehicle, maybe not everyday but certainly not stored away somewhere and only wheeled out for trips.

Engine : 140PS TDi, BlueMotion;
Gearbox : 6 Speed manual;
Colour : Candy White;
Interior : Grey with the blue strips in it
Wheels : Steel wheels

Options:
"Climatic" air conditioning system;
Two additional single folding, swivelling and removable passenger seats for rear;
Three-seat rear bench in lieu of two-seat bench;
Privacy glass with heat insulation;
Fixed ball with 13-pin socket;
Full sized spare wheel;
Heavy-duty tool kit and jack;
Charcoal canister;
Cruise Control;
Multifunction Display +;
RNS510 with DAB+;
Media-in (with iPod/iPhone adapter);
Parking sensors (front and rear);
Front fog lights, with cornering function;
Body coloured door handles;
Rain sensor with automatic dimming rear-view mirror;
heated front washer jets and washer fluid level indicator;
smoking pack (we don’t smoke, but the extra cup holder and 12V is useful);
Clear-glass halogen headlights (H7);
Rear mounted bike carrier;

Phew, took a while to get to that – and a lot of negotiating with the bank manager!

Haven’t quite ordered yet, waiting for the final offer from VW.

I’m enjoying reading the forums ☺

Thanks,

David,

Another question, at some stage in the future we might want to put something on the roof.

Does the Cali Beach come with roof rails as standard?

Thanks!

David,

Hi David I am sure the beach comes with roof rails as standard :thumb

There are the guide rails in the roof on which to mount the necessary roof rack stuff. You should also look at Monster Mats, rear bumper protector, and most importantly consider whether you want a parking heater which is what makes it a real camping vehicle with the option to sleep in it year round.

When you say bike carrier are you looking at a tailgate or tow bar (Atera Strada) mounted carrier?

HTH

Matt

Ma77sc said:
There are the guide rails in the roof on which to mount the necessary roof rack stuff. You should also look at Monster Mats, rear bumper protector, and most importantly consider whether you want a parking heater which is what makes it a real camping vehicle with the option to sleep in it year round.

When you say bike carrier are you looking at a tailgate or tow bar (Atera Strada) mounted carrier?

HTH

Matt

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your experience :) The rear bumper protector is a good hint, would you go for the clear one of the metal looking one....is there any difference apart from aesthetics..?

We considered the parking heater, but it's quite pricey and we won't be doing much camping in cold places - mostly Southern Europe. And we are a family of 5...we generate enough heat :)

We are thinking of the VW tailgate bike carrier, it seems to get positive reviews...or?

Thanks again,

David,

Multi function steering wheel to control the radio ? Bluetooth ?

gatvol said:
Multi function steering wheel to control the radio ? Bluetooth ?

I would like the multi-function wheel, but convincing the financial controller of it's worth is another matter :)

I have to pick and choose my battles carefully, getting the RNS510 was a tough enough challenge!

Besides, maybe I can retro fit one later...do used ones come up now and again? Actually, are they anything specific to the T5's or are they used on other VW models?

Order the MFSW, leave out the RNS510 and retrofit that instead! Should save you a packet.

David,

Are you buying it in Georgia or UK? If returning to UK in the future you may be able to buy it VAT free and get UK spec which includes alloy wheels as standard.

SatNav was not a priority for me as I was taking Cali outside UK, but had MFSW, Bluetooth and MDI fitted before left. I can buy a quality Garmin Satnav with lifetime maps for less than £150 which I can use in any car. RNS510 seemed v expensive to me.

Andy

Defo get the extra cup holder (smoking pack), the standard one is useless.

RidetheBulli said:
Towbar???

A fixed tow bar is included in the spec, although I would consider changing it to a removable one with the parking sensors. The fixed one interferes with the rear sensors on our Cali.

Alan

What size steels does the beach come with?

Sooo tempted to fit banded steels to ours but they need to be 17" to fit over the brakes.

Alloys and sports tyres seem a bit silly on a three tonne van!

KernowLad said:

Sooo tempted to fit banded steels to ours but they need to be 17" to fit over the brakes.

This Beach or a UK spec Beach??

The UK Beach comes with alloys - mine had 17" Thunders, but 16" is standard. I'm running on a set of 17" steels from Benn on it at the moment.

Andy

Goldie said:
KernowLad said:

This Beach or a UK spec Beach??

The UK Beach comes with alloys - mine had 17" Thunders, but 16" is standard. I'm running on a set of 17" steels from Benn on it at the moment.

Andy

It's a German spec Beach, no it's not full of Naturists but sensible hardwearing options ;)

It comes with 16" steelies, which I quite like. The configurator generates this "preview"of our car :

[album]1450[/album] [album]1449[/album]

AlanC said:
RidetheBulli said:
Towbar???

A fixed tow bar is included in the spec, although I would consider changing it to a removable one with the parking sensors. The fixed one interferes with the rear sensors on our Cali.

Alan

Yep, towbar is on there - we are considering a trailer tent in the future....we're a big family :) (one of these : 3Dog)

I've read that the fixed towbar shouldn't interfere with the park sensors, and that the sensors might need to be adjusted?

We went for the fixed as then it's one less thing to find a place for...and maybe it's harder to steel?

reserves said:
Defo get the extra cup holder (smoking pack), the standard one is useless.

Thanks for the confirmation of my thoughts. I saw the contents of the smoker pack and thought "that might be useful!"but I haven't actually seen a photo of it fitted at all.

It costs next to nothing, you wonder why it's not just in as standard...?

reserves said:
Order the MFSW, leave out the RNS510 and retrofit that instead! Should save you a packet.

I did think about that and had a browse on eBay, but then there's the potential issues with different versions of the 510 - and trying to upgrade it etc etc Plus a suspiciously large amount of these systems are shipping from our "Newer EU brothers"...I worry about their origin.

We get it for a reasonable price, so I just bite the bullet and have it nicely working and under warranty etc

Nice!
Proper wheels suit a Cali really well. Can't stand giant, spindly alloys that ruin the ride.

hewittd said:
AlanC said:
RidetheBulli said:
Towbar???

Alan

Yep, towbar is on there - we are considering a trailer tent in the future....we're a big family :) (one of these : 3Dog)

I've read that the fixed towbar shouldn't interfere with the park sensors, and that the sensors might need to be adjusted?

We went for the fixed as then it's one less thing to find a place for...and maybe it's harder to steel?

Yes that was I was told too. Our rear sensors are affected intermittently and so I can't track the problem down. The tow bar VW use is a Westfalia swan neck one and I spoke to our dealer who said the sensors were not adjustable. The local Westfaila fitter said take off the plastic ball cap and that usually fixes the issue. Well it improved it but didn't cure it.

Also you can get a nasty bruise when you walk into the swan neck.

I think there is a stowage space for the removable bar in the tool kit behind the rear seat on the SE. I will have a look and let you know.

Alan

So, all ordered! We're very excited, now I have to say it's a bit of an anticlimax...after pouring over the brochures and options for days, debating the pros and cons, becoming an excel Ninja to calculate the dream ride - now we send an email and some money to VW and it's done, come back in 4 months!!

Thanks for all the advice!