Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
And today in West Midlands we are meant to have the mother of all storms.
It’s 24 degrees, I’m sat in the garden in my shorts and top off. Mowed the lawn and just chilling.

Well I am one of life's worriers. Having read that some dealerships are denying the issue existed or saying that some water leaking in was alright, I thought it would be re-assuring to know that it will be dealt with. Apologies I have wasted anyone's time.
You haven’t wasted anyone time, but would be good to quote a certain dealership “correcting the issue” to any dealerships people may have difficulty with fixing the issue. That’s all

I think the reality is we'll not see anything conclusive happen until VW announce and authorise a fix (be it a replacement or modification). At that point, all dealers will be briefed and all will be able to pick up that remedial work. At present, the actual work being done is where people get the bellows replaced, but it seems they just leak again, so I would grit teeth and await a "formal" fix (but definitely register your concern with both the local van centre and with VWCV).

So it rained pretty hard and for a good few hours today, which is no real surprise given it’s August in the UK.

What was a surprise though was that I thought seeing as I was working from home today I would leave the roof up all day, which I duly did, and it hasn’t leaked a drop. It’s had a proper soaking too.

Wind the clock back two weeks to its first exposure to proper heavy rain and the left hand side was leaking like a sieve along the bottom stitching of the window, after a couple of hour’s.

Differences between today and two weeks ago :-
- first time it was horizontal driving rain from the left hand side, and probably slightly heavier too - albeit today was still proper rain
- Today the rain was largely vertical, with the front in particular getting very wet, whereas the left was the driest of the 3 sides this time.

The fact is it leaked so heavily the first time versus todays experiment can’t prove that it’s fixed itself (e.g. some theories around stitching need to get wet to expand/tighten) but it has at least given me some reassurance that all is not completely lost. Maybe it’s driving rain that’s the problem, maybe my left hand side stitching is the weakness and the other two windows are actually ok. Who knows but for now I feel slightly less distraught !

Had a few (minor) drips along the boot seal today though, which we haven’t previously noticed, and I had been looking for them when it’s rained. Usually the roof is down though, and there was a lot of water running off the raised roof this time, right on to the panel gap between roof and boot lid - will try adjusting the rubbers now as other suggest. But just a thought, is it when the roof is raised that others have noticed most of the water ingress via the boot seal due to the increased volume and flow rate of water run off ?

Despite the bellows leak, which surely will get resolved by VW, to those of you who have vans on order all I would say is don’t be disheartened as this really is a superb piece of kit that is everything we hoped for, and more quite frankly.

But just a thought, is it when the roof is raised that others have noticed most of the water ingress via the boot seal due to the increased volume and flow rate of water run off ?
Ina word no. The first time I noticed was after moderate rain and the Cali was so new I hadn't even raised the poptop in anger. Completely unrelated to poptop position although feeding the water to the gap is probably going to make things worse.

Had a few (minor) drips along the boot seal today though, which we haven’t previously noticed, and I had been looking for them when it’s rained. Usually the roof is down though, and there was a lot of water running off the raised roof this time, right on to the panel gap between roof and boot lid - will try adjusting the rubbers now as other suggest. But just a thought, is it when the roof is raised that others have noticed most of the water ingress via the boot seal due to the increased volume and flow rate of water run off ?
Our boot has leaked with the roof up and down. When it leaked in the down position, we hadn’t had the roof up first. As with your bellows, our boot doesn’t leak everytime it rains. We have checked the channels around the boot and there is no debris blocking anything.

Meanwhile our boot seal has only leaked when the roof has been up!

Is that starting to sound like a VW recall on the canvas?
Probably not... at the moment at least.
Had a call today from the service manager at Manchester van centre, who looked at my van last week. He told me that he has been in touch with the VW technical team who have said that there is no issue with the bellows on the MY23 californias (mine included). The service manager has been great. Unhappy with their response, he told me that today he has borrowed a brand new van and put the roof up in the rain and will monitor what happens. He said if that one doesn't leak, it proves mine is faulty and will make representation. If it does leak, he will hopefully see how much and realise that its unacceptable and again make representation.
But the story here is that VW is still denying any problem with these bellows.

I have heard back from Breeze again today. Communication from them has been absolutely top notch. Apparently my new bellows have now been ordered. Let’s hope it‘s a revised part that doesn’t leak!

Meanwhile our boot seal has only leaked when the roof has been up!
I have pulled the rubber seal along the top of the boot slightly backwards (as recommended by others) and that survived the really really heavy downpour we just had, without a single drop. So maybe that’s resolved that issue, for me anyhow. Meanwhile that same downpour did cause some leakage at the front bellows, all along the bottom stitched seam of the window - enough to be unsatisfactory but nothing like we had through the side previously. Yet both side windows didn’t leak a single drop this time despite being well saturated. Inconsistent seems to be the word.

I have heard back from Breeze again today. Communication from them has been absolutely top notch. Apparently my new bellows have now been ordered. Let’s hope it‘s a revised part that doesn’t leak!
I have also heard from breeze today who have logged a warranty claim for me and are ordering new bellows.

If it’s not the C suffixed part is there any point in replacing at this stage?

Well I guess that’s for them to decide. I have to give them the opportunity to fix my van. Apparently the order has gone in for the factory to make it as none in stock, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the latest version. If it still leaks I will take it further, but I expect it will be the latest C version and it will fix the issue.

Well I guess that’s for them to decide. I have to give them the opportunity to fix my van. Apparently the order has gone in for the factory to make it as none in stock, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the latest version. If it still leaks I will take it further, but I expect it will be the latest C version and it will fix the issue.
If a factory order has been made one would expect it to be the latest version, and yes, let’s hope it resolves the leaking issues!

Anybody know where the part number is on the bellows?

Which branch of Breeze have you dealt with? And do you have a contact there?
I'd like to get Manchester van centre to contact them.
Thanks

I understand the C refers to hydraulic poptop and E is for the manual. No one knows if there are any differences or mods to fix the leak problem that actually work.

I understand the C refers to hydraulic poptop and E is for the manual. No one knows if there are any differences or mods to fix the leak problem that actually work.
On the German forum, one person had their second replacement bellows in mid-July and commented that it no longer leaked and drained correctly. I guess only time will tell as more get replaced and provide feedback.

On the German forum, one person had their second replacement bellows in mid-July and commented that it no longer leaked and drained correctly. I guess only time will tell as more get replaced and provide feedback.
I would expect a lot more than 1 report of a fixed replacement given the numbers reporting serious leaks. Maybe the conditions were not right to cause a leak. Several people here are saying their originally sieve bellows are now practically waterproof.

That’s not what this thread says:

7LA8750597MH for the original dual layer electric roof bellows in grey.

7LA875059C7MH for the new version dual layer electric roof bellows in grey.

The C version apparently fitted to new vans from July and not available for retail in June (assuming the poster is correct).

Last edited:
How do you know which part number is fitted to your van? Is it stamped somewhere?

I have pulled the rubber seal along the top of the boot slightly backwards (as recommended by others) and that survived the really really heavy downpour we just had, without a single drop. So maybe that’s resolved that issue, for me anyhow. Meanwhile that same downpour did cause some leakage at the front bellows, all along the bottom stitched seam of the window - enough to be unsatisfactory but nothing like we had through the side previously. Yet both side windows didn’t leak a single drop this time despite being well saturated. Inconsistent seems to be the word.
Pull the seal out from its base ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back