Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Billy, Great work and very useful. Please add these photos to your analysis.

View attachment 112258

View attachment 112259
Thats some serious looking leakage through the side windows. SO not restricted to the front horizontal window seam as most have reported. The front is angled so may just direct more water to the seam and onward into the cabin.
Looking forward to what the resident Commercial Dealers have to say and the forthcoming California Chris video :talktothehand
:headbang

Yes, let us know what they say. They are definitely aware of this issue because there’s at least three of us on here who have picked up from EV and subsequently either written back to them to complain about the roof or have booked it in there for a warranty check.
That’s funny, because today I phoned the salesman at Eurovans who sold me the van to let them know of my leaking bellows (previously only dealt with Manchester Van Centre as they are the nearest dealer to me), and he denied any knowledge of this issue. In fact, he told that they have sold around 200 california‘s this year, and he wasn’t aware of any other van with this issue. If I believed in conspiracy theory’s, I’d be tempted to say that dealerships have been told to play this down and deny that there is an issue.

Hi @Michael Breeze and @Tomdbreeze

As represents of VW Commercial Vehicles and also as VIP Trade Partner and Trade Advertiser on this forum, are you able to offer any assistance to owners with regards raising the issues with the leaking new style bellows that have been fitted to MY23 California Oceans please?

There are now multiple threads on the subject on this forum (along with similar topics on the equivalent German forum https://www.caliboard.de/topic/32905-erfahrung-neuer-faltenbalg-t61/). There are also multiple differing responses that people have shared following discussions with dealers, technicians etc.

I have collated the attached list using threads on this forum, to show the 31 MY23 California Ocean owners who have experienced leaks with the new style bellows (as at 31 July). The California Supplement (Edition 11.2022) states to "Close the pop-up roof if there is a strong wind or strong wind with driving rain". The majority of owners listed below have commented that the conditions when their vans leaked were neither strong wind, or strong wind with driving rain. Indeed, a lot of the comments relate to times where there was little or no wind, and that the problem starts after rain has been persistent though not necessarily heavy. These leaks have been reported from March onwards when the weather conditions are generally less extreme.

Considering the wet summer we are having, it is worth noting that there are very few, if any, threads from Ocean owners with the previous style bellows reporting any leaks. Indeed, three owners with MY23 models with the old style bellows have confirmed theirs do not leak.

On our behalf, are you able to raise this with the relevant powers that be within VW Commercial Vehicles, so that we may all receive a definitive response as to how this issue will be rectified and what steps we as owners need to take?

View attachment 112253
Great work pulling this together +.Billy Ocean. and thanks for your efforts on behalf of us all.

That’s funny, because today I phoned the salesman at Eurovans who sold me the van to let them know of my leaking bellows (previously only dealt with Manchester Van Centre as they are the nearest dealer to me), and he denied any knowledge of this issue. In fact, he told that they have sold around 200 california‘s this year, and he wasn’t aware of any other van with this issue. If I believed in conspiracy theory’s, I’d be tempted to say that dealerships have been told to play this down and deny that there is an issue.
It's on page one of the customer service desk manual, "yours is the first I've seen with this problem"

I had it with the previous van with the sagging roof apparently mine was the only one in the country that sagged - or it was until I rather smugly pointed out that the one in the showroom was sagging even worse than mine.

I don’t think I can send you a message and don’t want to mention the names of people who can’t defend themselves here. But it feels hard to believe they know nothing of the issue.

The salesman may not be aware. Isn’t it the service department who deals with repairs usually? I thought they worked fairly independently. And I’m not surprised most buyers haven’t noticed yet. You need to be using the van in exactly the wrong conditions to have the issue. Most people probably won’t choose to camp in the rain. Not defending the response, but I do find it feasible the salesman doesn’t know yet. I think it’ll become well known fairly quickly though as it’s an obvious and now widely recognised defect by many buyers.

The salesman may not be aware. Isn’t it the service department who deals with repairs usually? I thought they worked fairly independently. And I’m not surprised most buyers haven’t noticed yet. You need to be using the van in exactly the wrong conditions to have the issue. Most people probably won’t choose to camp in the rain. Not defending the response, but I do find it feasible the salesman doesn’t know yet. I think it’ll become well known fairly quickly though as it’s an obvious and now widely recognised defect by many buyers.
It’s feasible if the salesmen don’t talk to the service department or to each other!

I’m sorry, I should give them the benefit of the doubt.

It’s feasible if the salesmen don’t talk to the service department or to each other!

I’m probably not sceptical enough.

It's on page one of the customer service desk manual, "yours is the first I've seen with this problem"

I had it with the previous van with the sagging roof apparently mine was the only one in the country that sagged - or it was until I rather smugly pointed out that the one in the showroom was sagging even worse than mine.
Same with leaking windows …… ”never come across that before”!

Their too busy calculating their bonuses!

Here’s a video of mine leaking if it helps anyone. Mine is mainly leaking at the bottom of the bellows with some coming from the upper seam. This video was sent to the dealer.

This is the same as ours so far. We’ve had our MY23 Ocean just under 2 weeks (build started mid May) and I’ve opened the roof up today in the rain to check it after reading this thread. Had an hour or so of consistent rain and it’s leaking at the bottom of the bellows at the front. Nothing at the sides.

Last edited:
Hi @Michael Breeze and @Tomdbreeze

As represents of VW Commercial Vehicles and also as VIP Trade Partner and Trade Advertiser on this forum, are you able to offer any assistance to owners with regards raising the issues with the leaking new style bellows that have been fitted to MY23 California Oceans please?

There are now multiple threads on the subject on this forum (along with similar topics on the equivalent German forum https://www.caliboard.de/topic/32905-erfahrung-neuer-faltenbalg-t61/). There are also multiple differing responses that people have shared following discussions with dealers, technicians etc.

I have collated the attached list using threads on this forum, to show the 31 MY23 California Ocean owners who have experienced leaks with the new style bellows (as at 31 July). The California Supplement (Edition 11.2022) states to "Close the pop-up roof if there is a strong wind or strong wind with driving rain". The majority of owners listed below have commented that the conditions when their vans leaked were neither strong wind, or strong wind with driving rain. Indeed, a lot of the comments relate to times where there was little or no wind, and that the problem starts after rain has been persistent though not necessarily heavy. These leaks have been reported from March onwards when the weather conditions are generally less extreme.

Considering the wet summer we are having, it is worth noting that there are very few, if any, threads from Ocean owners with the previous style bellows reporting any leaks. Indeed, three owners with MY23 models with the old style bellows have confirmed theirs do not leak.

On our behalf, are you able to raise this with the relevant powers that be within VW Commercial Vehicles, so that we may all receive a definitive response as to how this issue will be rectified and what steps we as owners need to take?

View attachment 112253
All the Vans on here are listed as Ocean, do we have any Surf or Beach owners on here with this issue? Just an a thought, could be another clue..

All the Vans on here are listed as Ocean, do we have any Surf or Beach owners on here with this issue? Just an a thought, could be another clue..
I have a Coast with the new bellows. So far no leaks from the bellows (rear tailgate yes), but it hasn't really been tested.

Ok, I don't want to say where I was today but I was having some snagging issues fixed with our nine month old ocean. I was at a very reputable dealership who know how to fix Californias. I mentioned that whilst I had a leaking tailgate at least it wasn't the new canvas. The response I got was that they are expecting to be swamped with work to replace the canvas as soon as VW decide. VW and any decent California dealer is well aware and this will almost certainly be done under warranty.

Ok, I don't want to say where I was today but I was having some snagging issues fixed with our nine month old ocean. I was at a very reputable dealership who know how to fix Californias. I mentioned that whilst I had a leaking tailgate at least it wasn't the new canvas. The response I got was that they are expecting to be swamped with work to replace the canvas as soon as VW decide. VW and any decent California dealer is well aware and this will almost certainly be done under warranty.
What dealership was this?

The poster did say they don’t want to share, possibly because that dealer might not have supposed to have shared that information. I’m sure the whole thing will come “officially” to light before long
Doesn’t help anyone though really does it.

The poster did say they don’t want to share, possibly because that dealer might not have supposed to have shared that information. I’m sure the whole thing will come “officially” to light before long

Doesn’t help anyone though really does it.
Well I am one of life's worriers. Having read that some dealerships are denying the issue existed or saying that some water leaking in was alright, I thought it would be re-assuring to know that it will be dealt with. Apologies I have wasted anyone's time.

Well I am one of life's worriers. Having read that some dealerships are denying the issue existed or saying that some water leaking in was alright, I thought it would be re-assuring to know that it will be dealt with. Apologies I have wasted anyone's time.
You haven't - it was useful information :)

I’m in Dorset and it’s absolutely ridiculous weather ️️
Been sat in the captain chair all night with the kids and wife asleep on the downstairs bed ( downstairs )
Bellows was leaking but wind is 55mph so don’t think it’s a fair test at the moment.
Who’s idea was this !!!!!

You haven’t. You provided balance to the positive and negative to dealer response.

The benefit of members here is to give balanced opinions and assistance. Not just be here for a single topic to complain.

You haven’t. You provided balance to the positive and negative to dealer response.

The benefit of members here is to give balanced opinions and assistance. Not just be here for a single topic to complain.
Agreed. I’ve been a bit consumed by this issue and that’s been the majority of my posts recently. But I’m away this weekend so will be able to return to the “view of/from your van” thread and actually post about using the van, which is actually why I’m here really!

Is that starting to sound like a VW recall on the canvas?

Never wasted time talking on this forum.
It’s a community… :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back