Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2006 T5 ESP warning light.

V

vwsween

Vehicle
Cali now sold
After being parked a couple of days the esp warning light didnt go off after starting up. It was constant rather than flashing and has remained lit when I use vehicle. The abs and brake warnings behave normally. I dont mess with the esp dash switch but suppose it may have been pressed by accident. I noticed that there is no light showing in that switch so dont know whether its in the on or off setting (like the parking sensor switch) but I assume it should reset to esp on after ignition is off.
Any thoughts please?

After being parked a couple of days the esp warning light didnt go off after starting up. It was constant rather than flashing and has remained lit when I use vehicle. The abs and brake warnings behave normally. I dont mess with the esp dash switch but suppose it may have been pressed by accident. I noticed that there is no light showing in that switch so dont know whether its in the on or off setting (like the parking sensor switch) but I assume it should reset to esp on after ignition is off.
Any thoughts please?
Have you tried pressing the ESP switch?

Yes already tried switch and holding switch a few seconds. Makes no difference and cannot tell if switch is in the on or off setting as it does not light up.

Yes already tried switch and holding switch a few seconds. Makes no difference and cannot tell if switch is in the on or off setting as it does not light up.
Some reading.

some interesting reading, thanks. Its a pity some threads dont continue to a conclusion.
One simple? question, should the esp switch light up when the esp is turned off? Since there is no light in mine, and the esp warning light is permanently on, I wonder if the switch is faulty and is not turning esp back on (even on restarting ignition) Probably hoping for too much! Or perhaps switch disabled due to esp fault turning system off?

some interesting reading, thanks. Its a pity some threads dont continue to a conclusion.
One simple? question, should the esp switch light up when the esp is turned off? Since there is no light in mine, and the esp warning light is permanently on, I wonder if the switch is faulty and is not turning esp back on (even on restarting ignition) Probably hoping for too much! Or perhaps switch disabled due to esp fault turning system off?
I think you may find that the ESP switch only illuminates when it switches Off ESP. However, as you have the Dashboard light On, indicating ESP is not functioning the switch is disabled.

Diagnosed as faulty abs unit. Does anyone know where the unit is located and how to access?

Just for the benefit of anyone with similar issues in future. Mine is 2006 at 130k miles.
Mechanic was excited when he read this code - fault 00493 esp unit defective g419 - it was the first he had seen! Ended up fitting a new Esp Duosensor, 7H0-907-655-A, supplied by VW and fitted by independent. Total cost including labour/VAT £963. It would have been far more at VW and far less with second-hand or refurbished unit but I chose not to go that route.

Just for the benefit of anyone with similar issues in future. Mine is 2006 at 130k miles.
Mechanic was excited when he read this code - fault 00493 esp unit defective g419 - it was the first he had seen! Ended up fitting a new Esp Duosensor, 7H0-907-655-A, supplied by VW and fitted by independent. Total cost including labour/VAT £963. It would have been far more at VW and far less with second-hand or refurbished unit but I chose not to go that route.
Hi. I know this is close to two years old, but the same issue occured with my 2005 just recently. Do you know if some kind of calibration was neeeded after fitting the new part, or is it «just» plug and play?

Sorry I dont know what may have been necessary in terms of mechanic perhaps resetting or clearing fault codes. If I was in the same position again I would simply buy a refurbished unit for about a tenth of the price, plug it in and see what happens. Others on here will probably be able to tell you more about the fault codes. Please be sure that a replacement Esp Duosensor is what you really need, they rarely fail and other wiring or sensor issues are much more common.

Back