Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Esp & ABS warning lights

P

Piersnesbitt

I have a 2008 Cali and the orange ESP and ABS warning lamps have come on. When you start the vehicle they are not lit and only come on when you reach about 18 mph. They then stay on till you turn the ignition off. Has anyone got any thoughts on this before I drive to the nearest vw dealer?

It could be a sensor on one of the wheels. Abs. Best get it plugged into a diagnostic machine
Otherwise you will only be guessing. Good luck :thumb

I hope it is only a sensor, which makes sense as it only happens when you start moving, as there is a known expensive issue with the abs pump.

Thanks guys,
Will go and get it plugged in and cross fingers it's only a sensor!
Although it's a 2008 it's only done 9000 miles so shouldn't be too worn out!

Turned out to be a bit of debris fouling the sensor.
Many thanks to the guys at VW Aberystwyth for finding it and sorting it out.

Currently in Spain. T5 4 motion dsg 2014 45000 miles. Leaving a very dusty and gritty aire 3 days ago it felt as if something was trapped in one of the wheels as if the wheel was locking. Within moments the ABS light and “wheel skid’ warning lights came on. After a couple of miles driving to find a garage the lights went off and it didn’t happen again until this morning. Same symptoms maybe a little more resistance but stopped after a few miles. Drove maybe 100km with no problem. I’m now camped on another site 40km south of Santiago and hoping it Will be ok when I next move. Any thoughts appreciated?

Currently in Spain. T5 4 motion dsg 2014 45000 miles. Leaving a very dusty and gritty aire 3 days ago it felt as if something was trapped in one of the wheels as if the wheel was locking. Within moments the ABS light and “wheel skid’ warning lights came on. After a couple of miles driving to find a garage the lights went off and it didn’t happen again until this morning. Same symptoms maybe a little more resistance but stopped after a few miles. Drove maybe 100km with no problem. I’m now camped on another site 40km south of Santiago and hoping it Will be ok when I next move. Any thoughts appreciated?
It will be an ABS fault. The ESP stability function depends on functioning ABS sensors so will be disabled, hence the ESP light.
There are numerous possibilities regarding the ABS fault. A failed sensor, but that should leave the light on permanently, or as above, something blocking/fouling the sensor temporarily.
The ABS sensor is on the rear of the Disc at the top, front and rear are the same position.
Part 10.
71BC4C47-DE5B-417A-B8CC-FB0DFD846381.png

It will be an ABS fault. The ESP stability function depends on functioning ABS sensors so will be disabled, hence the ESP light.
There are numerous possibilities regarding the ABS fault. A failed sensor, but that should leave the light on permanently, or as above, something blocking/fouling the sensor temporarily.
The ABS sensor is on the rear of the Disc at the top, front and rear are the same position.
Part 10.
View attachment 49310
thanks. Appreciated. I’ll post update towards the end of this week when I get to VW garage. Vehicle on stop at the campsite until then. Best.

Hi Welsh Gas. Quick update. Went to huge VW dealer in Santiago ( been there before). They saw me immediately and spent 2 hours on vehicle. Plugged it in and identified new sensor on rear wheel needs replacing at about €80. Unfortunately they didn’t have in stock until today Monday when I needed to be in Santander. I’ve continued to use van without ABS and now fault has disappeared. Will get it checked thoroughly back in UK. Note Santiago VW didn’t charge me a penny/euro I know my local dealer would have charged me for a plug in.

Update - faulty sensor no damage. Sensor replaced £90 all in.

We had the ABS, ESP and brake light come on today. When we pulled over and started off again there was a quick grunting sound then it cleared. Then came back on. Now we just have the ABS light on permanently.
Have read the above I am assuming its a faulty sensor or maybe debris fouling the sensor.

Is it easy to fix yourself with the part?
Can I clean it in case of debris fouling it?

Its tricky to get to a mechanic at the moment. But I don't want to be off the road.
It sounded like the front passenger side wheel was the culprit.

Just sorted my ABS lights that have been up for a while, vw dealer wanted £150 just to plug in the diagnostic and a day booked in to rectify the fault plus parts , so had a go my self i bought a Ancel VD500 scanner for £30 and , and that pointed to the rear left sensor , purchased one for £12 of ebay . looked at video how to install . all a good job . And i still have a scanner to look at other stuff..