Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ESP/traction control/tyre pressure warnings causing limp mode

NickHX

NickHX

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
So currently in Portugal on a six week trip. Halfway through central Spain, all of a sudden the engine shudders, the ESP warning light comes on along with the tyre pressure error, and we lose power on the autovia. We pull over, check the tyre pressures, restart the engine, the error lights disappear and everything seems fine again. One hour later we get the same problem, so we decide to go straight to the closest VW van center in Valladolid. The friendly chap there does a scan and basically tells us they are ignorable errors and that we should carry on with our trip!

We managed to get to our destination in Portugal more or less alright, but yesterday after driving 20 minutes for my Father’s Day lunch, the van then has the same failure, but this time accompanied by the engine coil error (solid, not flashing). It took a few minutes to get the engine started this time, and then we had the failure about four times over 5km to get to our lunch spot.

Called European breakdown and got the van towed back to our accommodation and now currently having the van investigated by the local mechanic. His scan has found a variety of errors which I can provide later, but the interesting thing we found is that when driving in D mode, the error happens within a few minutes, but putting it in Sport and the error never comes up at all. The mechanic told me that S disables notifications from the ESP sensor, which to him indicates there is nothing wrong with the engine (thank god) but is ‘definitely an ESP issue’

Looking on the forums, our error seems closely related to this issue:
But this error indicated that there was a TPMS sensor, but I was under impression that there wasn’t a dedicated TPMS sensor but rather it uses the ABS system to detect low pressure.

So after much rambling, my question is, is this enough information for anyone to help us figure out a path out of here. Is this likely to be a duff ESP sensor.or potentially something else? We are a few years out of warranty so don’t really want to go to VW for this, but if they’re the only people that can resolve this then so be it.

For context, we’ve had spurious occasional type pressure errors ever since we’ve had the van (over three years) so to me this sounds like some kind of faulty sensor issue. The van is a 2016 4motion 204ps.

Based on previous discussions relating to similar error messages, I would expect it to be a rear ABS sensor, or the wiring to it, to be at fault.

Thanks Andy!

These are the codes from Car Scanner. Only one generic ‘ABS control unit’ error. Does this mean we just need to go through each sensor systematically, cleaning, replacing, checking the wiring, and then finally checking the ABS module itself? Or is there a more directed (cheaper) way of doing this?

============1==============
Raw code: 04B7
ECU: 19. CAN Gateway
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
Volkswagen: Auxiliary heater control unit-J364

============2==============
Raw code: 002988
ECU: 02. Transmission control unit[Archive (inactive)]

============3==============
Raw code: 002A0B
ECU: 02. Transmission control unit[Archive (inactive)]
Volkswagen: P173400: Starter release from the selector lever sensor system

============4==============
Raw code: 00201C
ECU: 03. ABS control unit[Archive (inactive)]

============5==============
Raw code: 0064C6
ECU: 01. Engine control unit
Status: Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear

============6==============
Raw code: 003CC8
ECU: 01. Engine control unit
Status: Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle

============7==============
Raw code: 006226
ECU: 01. Engine control unit[Archive (inactive)]

============8==============
Raw code: 923271
ECU: 08. Heater and climate
Volkswagen: B123271: Air distribution flap side and center vent motor
Actuator jammed

============9==============
Raw code: D11140
ECU: 08. Heater and climate

You can check the output of an ABS sensor with a voltmeter, AC volts/spin the wheel and look for fluctuations.

Having recently had 2 ABS sensors fail this doesn't look like the same issue to me, codes are very different and neither my van nor anything I found online mentioned a faulty ABS sensor resulting in either LIMP mode being activated or the engine coil error.
Errors shown by my van were traction control, tyre pressure, ABS & Stop start all of which use the sensors in one way or another. Hill start assist also stopped working but no error code.
The car scanner app then gave an error code that identified the specific ABS sensor that was causing the issue.

TPS? (throttle postn Senor), plays a big role in TC

Enough acronyms is this thread for a LOD episode.

Ugh looks like it could be one for the dealer then... the mechanic has told me it might be beyond his level of expertise anyway. Time to warm up the credit card.

Ugh looks like it could be one for the dealer then... the mechanic has told me it might be beyond his level of expertise anyway. Time to warm up the credit card.

@NickHX , the most cost effective thing to do would be to replace the ABS sensors. That will be a good start before doing anything else.

My logic - especially when a TPMS fault is reported - and as the T6 does not have an active TPMS, it has to do with the ABS sensor. You've also had sporadic fault reports on the TPMS for the last 3 years.

I would replace that to start with, before doing anything else. It is a relatively quick fix that may just help you enjoy the rest of your holiday with the van.

I also have exactly the same spec van. Out of curiosity, how many miles on the ODO?

It’s done 44000 miles - that vast majority of which would be long journeys. Maybe gets driven on average once a fortnight.

An update... the van has been with VW in Cascais for the past few days and their conclusion after their diagnostics... it’s a software bug! I pressed them for more details but they couldn’t really give me any. Just that the factory had told them to apply a software fix and all should be good again. I’m pretty gobsmacked about it all. Has anyone had any similar experiences like this that have just been resolved with software updates?

An update... the van has been with VW in Cascais for the past few days and their conclusion after their diagnostics... it’s a software bug! I pressed them for more details but they couldn’t really give me any. Just that the factory had told them to apply a software fix and all should be good again. I’m pretty gobsmacked about it all. Has anyone had any similar experiences like this that have just been resolved with software updates?
Well, good to hear that. Someone on here a few days ago did post about software updates to the newer vehicles ... but none on a software update for T6's.

Well, if it sorts out the issue, then good for you.

PS: do you know if you had the earlier AdBlue fix applied? this was a fix released I guess about 2 years ago(?)

Looks like I spoke too soon. Driving down the motorway yesterday and the van shuddered and got exactly the same error again! Luckily we know putting it into sport mode gives us power again.

So does anyone know if VW have a warranty on their service work? I mean if they categorically assure me they have fixed a problem and then it turns it they haven’t, are they now on the hook for resolving it at their cost?

PS: do you know if you had the earlier AdBlue fix applied? this was a fix released I guess about 2 years ago(?)
Don’t think we’ve had the adblue fix. We had another software update about a month ago as part of some field campaign but don’t think they mentioned adblue was part of that.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Driving down the motorway yesterday and the van shuddered and got exactly the same error again! Luckily we know putting it into sport mode gives us power again.

So does anyone know if VW have a warranty on their service work? I mean if they categorically assure me they have fixed a problem and then it turns it they haven’t, are they now on the hook for resolving it at their cost?
In the UK it's 2 yrs on Parts & Labour.

Next update…

The VW tech in Cascáis told me to drive around until I experienced the error again and then drive straight to the garage so they could diagnose the active fault. Of course as soon as I tried to trigger the error it never came up again. So now in the process of driving back to the UK without having properly fixed it. Made it so far to Île de Ré without any problems so here’s hoping we can make it the final day back home.

The working hypothesis that the VW engineers have is that it is an electrical problem with the CAN bus links to the gear shifter, or perhaps one of the control units. Basically told me that someone needs to very methodically look at the voltages on all of the links on the network to see what is causing the problem.

They looked up the service history and discovered that when the van was under warranty the previous owner had the gear lever replaced for some reason which to him seemed somewhat correlated with the series of DTCs that he was seeing.

Basically our strategy is just to cross our fingers until we get back to the UK and then let VW do some serious diagnostics once we’re home. Slightly stressful not knowing when the van is going to give up the ghost again so far for home but has been fine for the past thousand miles so just seems very intermittent.

I was under the impression that 4Motions and autos were not supposed to be towed but put on a transporter ???

Having recently had 2 ABS sensors fail this doesn't look like the same issue to me, codes are very different and neither my van nor anything I found online mentioned a faulty ABS sensor resulting in either LIMP mode being activated or the engine coil error.
Errors shown by my van were traction control, tyre pressure, ABS & Stop start all of which use the sensors in one way or another. Hill start assist also stopped working but no error code.
The car scanner app then gave an error code that identified the specific ABS sensor that was causing the issue.
I had exactly the same as you recently. If there is a light on the dash it was lit And stayed on. Even tyre pressure monitor (Which we haven’t even got). Plugged the Carista in and the code for rear abs brake sensor came up. Replaced it and after 500 or so miles all is well.