Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Squeaks from the dash

I’m sorry, I have to ask me: ‘A six month noise snagging window’? Is this for real or do they tell you that?
Not my idea! It was introduced above in @CaliforniaSeb’s post. If there is such a window, it didn’t apply to me in this case.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on my squeaky steering wheel. I first noticed this in June 2023 when the van was about a year old, took it to Breeze in September, they diagnosed something wrong with the steering column and, after a long wait for the part, fitted a new steering column in December. A week after which, the squeak returned!

I’ve been at Breeze this week and, while they still say it’s not listed as a known issue for my specific model year and spec, they have diagnosed that the airbag in the steering wheel is at fault. Not the seating of the airbag (which has been in and out a few times now, and in theory well tightened up), but something inside the airbag unit itself, working loose and making a squeak.

Thanks @calibusje for the suggestion re the airbag - looks highly likely that you were right all along - but the VW known faults database, and the young technician at Breeze, couldnt see any issue with the airbag, so they ruled it out originally.

It’s all pretty frustrating since I live about an hour from Breeze and keep having to zip back and forth, and they only seem to have 2-3 seater vehicles to loan me while they work on my van which has 5 seats and is used as a family car. They are good people trying their best, it’s just hard to optimise their service for my specific circumstances.

New airbag unit on order. Meanwhile squeak seems to have gone again for now. Further updates to follow..

Last edited:
We had it too; mostly it is the air bag unit that needed to be ‘re-aligning’. There are more that had it. Sometimes by get it out and refit but -as for some on this tread- just by moving the steering wheel up and down a few times; our chirping noise didn’t come back. I hope -and actually expect it- by moving the steering wheel it also stays away because it is indeed a noise that can drive you mad.
My chirping has just gotten worse and worse. There is only so much Death Metal one can play to conceal that chirping. You were right . It was looked at yesterday by Breeze. A new airbag on back order. There is a "Loose clip in it"!

Last edited:
My chirping has just gotten worse and worse. There is only so much Death Metal one can play to conceal that chirping. You were right . It was looked at yesterday by Breeze. A new airbag on back order. There is a "Loose clip in it"!
Today I had the steering wheel airbag replaced - and so far the squeak seems to be gone - but it has gone before and then returned, so I won’t celebrate just yet! Will report back in a little while..

Back