Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Squeaks from the dash

F

flymartin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I’m wondering whether anyone has any insights here - I’ve read quite a few threads but no-one seems to have had these exact squeaks.

I’ve got a 2022 Beach and a couple of months ago it started making a squeak from behind the driver’s side air vent in the dash. This happens all the time and it sounds like a tiny bird is trapped inside - a constant little cheaping sound - not loud but annoying. Nothing looks or feels loose or wobbly and nothing obviously rubs against anything it shouldn’t - as far as I can see. I’m not keen to remove the dash myself on a nearly new van..

More recently I have a much louder creaking sound from somewhere in the middle of the dash - or it could be from the centre of the roof around the camper control unit. Again I can’t see anything rubbing or moving. It creaks whenever I go round a corner or hit a bump - I guess when the van body flexes like it’s designed to do. I’ve checked that the roof is properly closed. I’m considering putting a bit of silicon on the roof seal to see if that helps.

I have it booked in at Breeze next week for them to take a look. But I thought I’d ask here whether anyone has any ideas so I can either fix the noises easily and cancel the booking, or so I can give them the best info or ideas possible so they can fix it.

I have a video but no way to attach a video to a post here..

What do you think?

No, but you can remove the whole side panel easy enough and have a look in - had it off to put in the dashcam cable as it's the route down to the fuse box.

Watching this thread with great hopes. I have a canary behind the speedo too. Been putting up with it and haven't sought the advice of the dealer as I fear them ripping the dash out and doing more harm than good.

Does It stop if you turn the fans off? Could be a dry motor bearing

No, but you can remove the whole side panel easy enough and have a look in - had it off to put in the dashcam cable as it's the route down to the fuse box.
Thanks - I will give that a try and see what I can see in there

Yes, it was a continuous bird chirp noise, I had it also and started looking on various fb pages and more. I came across this issue a few times. Here’s what I found:
When the van is stationary, tap the base of the steering wheel with your palm and if you hear the chirp noise, it could be this: the air bag was miss aligned; take it out and re-set. Sound is gone :thumb I took it out only a centimetre and didn’t disconnect anything; oh, you will hear the horn ;)
However: removing the airbag unit is no sinecure: I even watched a YouTube video for it :D Or go to your dealer for help.

Last edited:
Did you check it?

Did you check it?
Thanks for the suggestion - I did try tapping the base of the steering wheel but it doesn't make the same sound - or any kind of squeak or chirp...

Does It stop if you turn the fans off? Could be a dry motor bearing
I also tried this - and the chirping is still there

I haven't yet taken the side panel off the dash - I see from YouTube that behind the side panel is a sort of inner side panel before you can really look behind the dash. @dspuk did you take that inner panel off as well?

Thanks for the suggestion - I did try tapping the base of the steering wheel but it doesn't make the same sound - or any kind of squeak or chirp...

I haven't yet taken the side panel off the dash - I see from YouTube that behind the side panel is a sort of inner side panel before you can really look behind the dash. @dspuk did you take that inner panel off as well?
I had something a little similar:

I raised it with my VW dealer who sent two techs out in the vehicle but they could not hear anything.

The noise continued to irritate me. My wife suggested I vigorously slide the steering column in and out a few times, which I did, leaving it at its most forward setting. The rattle disappeared. I have not dared alter the steering column since.

I am far from certain this will solve your problem, but just perhaps worth a try?

(NB The advantage of finishing the steering column slid furthest forward, is that the front seat can still be rotated. Obviously the seat then needs to be a little further forward too, but I have adapted easily to that.)

It’s kinda hard that you have to tap it; I only mention it because the chirping is very annoying and will become more and more.
Hope you find what it is and the can solve it. I ‘only’ had a constantly squeaking driver's seat, a creaking sound at the top of the front window and this chirping sound that turned out to be the airbag unit for me (and others) that was no longer completely fitted correct. Now there are just the sounds that are typical of the concept of a small van converted into a camper; and I like it like that :D Never again those other crazy driving noises!

Not that I recall.

I had previously tried different positions on the steering rake, as I like it extended, but obviously needs to be back home for the drivers seat to rotate. Cali been in for service today and I hadn't mentioned the chirp for fear of them breaking more than they fixed. Driving home this evening, the steering wheel has been pushed back home again (presumably by the tech who serviced it) and the chirp has gone. As much as I want to extend it back out, I can't bring myself to touch it as currently peace reigns!

Now I just have the other much louder creak when I go round corners or go over larger bumps. Has any one had this one? A loud creak or series of creaks. Coming from somewhere really hard to localise - sounds like the centre of the dash or the centre of the roof above the dash.

This has only started in the last couple of weeks. I thought maybe I had put the roof down oddly but when I try to check there's nothing obvious. I do have the Brandrup Isotop in there but I fitted that in January and the creak has only started recently..

It doesn't happen all the time - only on tighter corners and over bumps. But it's loud and sounds like something I should get fixed.

Any ideas on this one greatly appreciated!

Now I just have the other much louder creak when I go round corners or go over larger bumps. Has any one had this one? A loud creak or series of creaks. Coming from somewhere really hard to localise - sounds like the centre of the dash or the centre of the roof above the dash.

This has only started in the last couple of weeks. I thought maybe I had put the roof down oddly but when I try to check there's nothing obvious. I do have the Brandrup Isotop in there but I fitted that in January and the creak has only started recently..

It doesn't happen all the time - only on tighter corners and over bumps. But it's loud and sounds like something I should get fixed.

I get this for sure - from the roof. I've noticed it's only on hotter days in my experience. Above the kitchen units with mine, but I understand many people get it from above the drivers seat

Yes, I have an idea but it could be something else like the chirping. So better try every other suggestion first.

Yes, I have an idea but it could be something else like the chirping. So better try every other suggestion first.
I did try your suggestion re chirping @calibusje! Plus it’s documented in this thread for other chirpers to try as well..

I am very keen to hear your idea re the loud creak!

I did try your suggestion re chirping @calibusje! Plus it’s documented in this thread for other chirpers to try as well..

I am very keen to hear your idea re the loud creak!
Yes, indeed, you tried: I have read it :thumb Good you lost this chirping noise.
If the loud creak is like glass under tension that can break at any moment and sometimes makes a loud crack, let me know.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed, you tried: I have read it :thumb Good you lost this chirping noise.
If the loud creak is like glass under tension that can break at any moment and sometimes makes a loud crack, let me know.
Intriguing analogy.. yes I guess it could be a bit like that..

We had the chirping noise too - just at the point it was driving us mad (a few weeks) it mysteriously stopped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had the chirping noise too - just at the point it was driving us mad (a few weeks) it mysteriously stopped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had it too; mostly it is the air bag unit that needed to be ‘re-aligning’. There are more that had it. Sometimes by get it out and refit but -as for some on this tread- just by moving the steering wheel up and down a few times; our chirping noise didn’t come back. I hope -and actually expect it- by moving the steering wheel it also stays away because it is indeed a noise that can drive you mad.

@Viktorgeorge @Stu@rt this worked for me too, I think! I moved the steering wheel up and down and in n out a few times and after that the chirping or cheaping noise has gone!

Thank you! It's like a little miracle.
It really was an incredible relief for me too, considering how trivial it might sound to others. I only did the vigorous in and out of the steering column, at her suggestion, to appease my wife, who was tiring of the weeks of my stethoscope mutterings. I knew, of course, That it was pointless exercise……….I have now certified her as a master tech!

Back