Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do we reject our new California

Agreed, but the 0% deal has finished and some options including the sports package are no longer available on the configurator, so can not replace it with the same specification we ordered.
I believe everyone buys this type of vehicle for various personal reasons, hence our particular specification, most importantly waiting for the 4 Motion to return, otherwise we would not have bought it, so to have spent in excess of £80,000 with insurance, tracker etc., all the more reason for it to be as good as you expect, unbelievably disappointing. I think we will reject it as people advise and wait for the T7 version. As with other 'rejectors', we were promised the leaking issues had been resolved, we didn't even get to the point or raising the poptop before we experienced water ingress.
I would keep the van take it elsewhere the water leak will be easy fixable for sure
The dealership wants your van for sure

I would keep the van take it elsewhere the water leak will be easy fixable for sure
Agreed, but after 3 weeks outside in this weather, what damage has been done.

We are asking peoples opinion, based on experience with similar issues.
We would love to keep the van, but given replies regarding the potential water damage, I'd rather a replacement.
We have done a huge amount of research and viewed many converters before deciding on the California with the exact specification that we ordered.
Having checked the build specification, it would appear that we have not got what we ordered, to be told 'specification can vary from the brochure' doesn't go down well with me, not when your're spending £80,000.
Also anyone taking delivery of a new van should be aware that the 12 volt outlet on the dash has now 'changed specification' to a black plastic plug to fill the hole ! Having been told this was normal, until we looked at the other 5 Californias on their forecourt all of which had 12 volt outlets. I appreciate that specifications change, but do get the impression that we got an end of production version.

View attachment 122000
Are your rear windows double glazed

20240415_092921.jpg

We would love to keep the van, but given replies regarding the potential water damage, I'd rather a replacement.
We have done a huge amount of research and viewed many converters before deciding on the California with the exact specification that we ordered.
Having checked the build specification, it would appear that we have not got what we ordered, to be told 'specification can vary from the brochure' doesn't go down well with me, not when your're spending £80,000.
Also anyone taking delivery of a new van should be aware that the 12 volt outlet on the dash has now 'changed specification' to a black plastic plug to fill the hole ! Having been told this was normal, until we looked at the other 5 Californias on their forecourt all of which had 12 volt outlets. I appreciate that specifications change, but do get the impression that we got an end of production version.

View attachment 122000

View attachment 122000
I read somewhere that if you have the magnetic flashlight option you lose the dash 12v socket.

If water got under that floor I would definitely reject it, will be a nice spot for mold growth.

Agreed, but after 3 weeks outside in this weather, what damage has been done.
Have you had the van back and/or has it leaked more ? Just from looking at your pics they don’t look dissimilar to drips we sometimes get when opening the doors when it’s been raining. Doesn’t leak when door is shut, just water that obviously has collected against the seal during heavy rain.
As I think someone else mentioned above we did have the “standard” leak in the boot seal when we first got the van, but that completely resolved by just lifting the seal upwards slightly so it found its own natural position.
Agree the dashboard scratch is a pain to resolve - £ compensation and live with it (or a sticker over it) ?! Got a similar scratch on the passenger door card when the van was about a week old which infuriated me, but now I don’t even notice it (much) - and have even let the wife back in the house, eventually !

I can feel your frustrations and yes at the cost of your vehicle it needs to be 'spot on'

I asked my dealer if all options were fitted when I had the call to collect. The answer was: if its on the spec sheet they will have been fitted. Hmmm. Not fully convinced and as I was preparing to make a 4hr train journey to collect it, I asked for a 'walk round video' of the vehicle to visually see if everything was as it should be. I would advise anyone collecting a new vehicle to get a video before you collect.

Also check if you order an option, it doesn't 'knock' off something else in the build.
Any good dealer will know this.

The wrong badges on the wings are sheer sloppiness on behalf of both VW and the dealer.

The water issue is a worry. I found water on the drivers step and the top of the door. Wiped it dry and checked again only from the outside to see if it has recurred. It turned out to be the fact that my drive has a slight slope and water was running off the roof onto the door and step when I opened it.

The scratches are again total sloppiness.
The privacy glass has a mind of its own in my opinion. Two days after our collection, my wife looked at it and said 'has it definitely got privacy glass' Sometimes it looks dark and at others it seems lighter. As far as I am aware there are no tint choices when ordering it as an option.

It appears your dealer management needs to re-train their staff when it comes to standards.

Make sure you put everything in writing when making a complaint.

If it were me - I would reject it and talk to VW about a new vehicle.
If you set your dreams on owning one, don't give up as they are great multi-functional vehicles.

I can feel your frustrations and yes at the cost of your vehicle it needs to be 'spot on'

I asked my dealer if all options were fitted when I had the call to collect. The answer was: if its on the spec sheet they will have been fitted. Hmmm. Not fully convinced and as I was preparing to make a 4hr train journey to collect it, I asked for a 'walk round video' of the vehicle to visually see if everything was as it should be. I would advise anyone collecting a new vehicle to get a video before you collect.

Also check if you order an option, it doesn't 'knock' off something else in the build.
Any good dealer will know this.

The wrong badges on the wings are sheer sloppiness on behalf of both VW and the dealer.

The water issue is a worry. I found water on the drivers step and the top of the door. Wiped it dry and checked again only from the outside to see if it has recurred. It turned out to be the fact that my drive has a slight slope and water was running off the roof onto the door and step when I opened it.

The scratches are again total sloppiness.
The privacy glass has a mind of its own in my opinion. Two days after our collection, my wife looked at it and said 'has it definitely got privacy glass' Sometimes it looks dark and at others it seems lighter. As far as I am aware there are no tint choices when ordering it as an option.

It appears your dealer management needs to re-train their staff when it comes to standards.

Make sure you put everything in writing when making a complaint.

If it were me - I would reject it and talk to VW about a new vehicle.
If you set your dreams on owning one, don't give up as they are great multi-functional vehicles.
Simples..Just reject and order a new one before Thursday - job done! :)

Have you had the van back and/or has it leaked more ? Just from looking at your pics they don’t look dissimilar to drips we sometimes get when opening the doors when it’s been raining. Doesn’t leak when door is shut, just water that obviously has collected against the seal during heavy rain.
As I think someone else mentioned above we did have the “standard” leak in the boot seal when we first got the van, but that completely resolved by just lifting the seal upwards slightly so it found its own natural position.
Agree the dashboard scratch is a pain to resolve - £ compensation and live with it (or a sticker over it) ?! Got a similar scratch on the passenger door card when the van was about a week old which infuriated me, but now I don’t even notice it (much) - and have even let the wife back in the house, eventually !
Every day it had water in the same places.

I found the check sheet in the resources section really useful when going through collection handover process.

Will soon know if it's a leak, the van will start to smell of damp as it seeps into headliner / carpet as mould spreads. Driver will most likely get used to the smell of its a daily driver, passengers will notice as soon as they get in the van. Cab carpet etc will then to need to come out and be properly dried or replaced. After the source of the leak has been fixed by the same dealer that was happy to let a substandard van be delivered to a customer.

You should take legal advice on this. You are outside the 30 days, but you should put the defects in writing to the Brand manager and give them 7 days to respond. I did this a few years ago with a faulty VW Troc and got an immediate response and eventual resolution to a significant engine issue. Good luck.

You should take legal advice on this. You are outside the 30 days, but you should put the defects in writing to the Brand manager and give them 7 days to respond. I did this a few years ago with a faulty VW Troc and got an immediate response and eventual resolution to a significant engine issue. Good luck.
The 30 days is up tomorrow, I have given them the chance to buy it back, that ends at 5:00pm today.

The 30 days is up tomorrow, I have given them the chance to buy it back, that ends at 5:00pm today.
I'm not sure they're going to want to that are they?
A rejection must also be agreed with VWCV and allows them to receive some kind of revenue protection from VW.
I'd imagine they'd prefer that route than buying it back.

Hi

Just want to share my experience

I purchased a California ocean in November 2023. It’s already been back 6 times
Rear heater stuck on 29 degrees
Rear air vents not opening
Drivers door wouldn’t open
Sliding door wouldn’t close
Leisure batteries not charging

After these I asked for pop top roof to be tested and then the dealer didn’t want to contact me to arrange so despite sending 3 emails I booked it in myself.

Guess what a new set of bellows required.

Vehicle has only done 232 miles. 17 were pre delivery and 200 done taking to dealer to get repaired.

I have written requesting a full rejection even though I’d lose money for the £1000 tracker and a few other bits

Dealer unwilling to compromise and offered a token of goodwill of £695.

I contacted citizens advice and they confirmed I had grounds to reject so ivwrote another letter.

I waited over 2 weeks and received a letter from vw lawyers stating I had no grounds for rejection as that’s what warranties are for.

I’m considering next steps

Hi

Just want to share my experience

I purchased a California ocean in November 2023. It’s already been back 6 times
Rear heater stuck on 29 degrees
Rear air vents not opening
Drivers door wouldn’t open
Sliding door wouldn’t close
Leisure batteries not charging

After these I asked for pop top roof to be tested and then the dealer didn’t want to contact me to arrange so despite sending 3 emails I booked it in myself.

Guess what a new set of bellows required.

Vehicle has only done 232 miles. 17 were pre delivery and 200 done taking to dealer to get repaired.

I have written requesting a full rejection even though I’d lose money for the £1000 tracker and a few other bits

Dealer unwilling to compromise and offered a token of goodwill of £695.

I contacted citizens advice and they confirmed I had grounds to reject so ivwrote another letter.

I waited over 2 weeks and received a letter from vw lawyers stating I had no grounds for rejection as that’s what warranties are for.

I’m considering next steps
Ah forgot to say there are a some really bad customer service issues that have gone on. One of them being lack of communication snd customer care and also the fact the vehicle has been with them since end of Feb. Vehicle hasn’t been started up or moved and has been left / abandoned in the main car park outside dealer since middle of feb.

Aren’t trackers great!

Hi all, we picked up our new Ocean 4 Motion on 20/03/24, having had a tracker [£899] installed and the 'Caravelle' badge changed to the correct 'California' badge. Drove the van home, parked it on our drive and having got the same comment from 2 different people on the fact that we should have ordered privacy glass, which we actually did, with the 'Sports Pack'. The following day we noticed drips of water that appeared to be coming out of the auxiliary heater grill, then on the drivers side 'window sill', also scratches in the plastic on the glove box, and scratches on the table, still never having actually used the van. We emailed photos to the garage and were told 'you definitely don't have privacy glass', and we can sort the other problems. Having not heard for a week, I rang again, to be told they were waiting to hear back from VW. More days went by, with more water coming in, we decided to call the garage and return the van for repair, and to be stored indoors. The salesman agreed with our concern, and told us it can be kept inside at their garage. We drove the van back to the garage on 27/03/24. Checking on the tracker, the van sat inside the garage for 12 days without even being started. On 08/04/24, we received an email from the sales manager saying that 'he has been passed our concerns, and will now take the lead'. Having checked the tracker, we saw that the van had now been moved, at speeds up to nearly 80mph, to another VW site, and was now being stored outside. Today [13/04/23], we decided to call into the garage and see the sales manager, to be told, they will look at ordering parts, they couldn't find a water leak, and most annoying, said that we had got privacy glass, but could add a tint, as he had on his transporter demonstrator.
Having spent nearly £80,000, plus tracker, insurance, Trelino portable toilet, windscreen cover, WiFi router etc. etc. we have totally lost any confidence in the van, and feel as though they are dragging this out so we miss the 30 day deadline.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue, if so what outcome did you decide on, because as first time buyers, this has totally put us off wanting to own the California to be quite honest. We expected a lot more for the money spent, and a more satisfactory response than we received today.

View attachment 121926

View attachment 121927

View attachment 121928
What is the 30day deadline? So long as you have reported it within the 30 days you are covered. My insurance company supplied a tracker (£90) and gives windscreen cover so not sure why you would have those added. The water ingress could just be compressed door seals and might resolve itself (mine did on the tail gate - I put some Vaseline on the rubber and ensured the rubber was properly seated.

Back