Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do we reject our new California

So you've got:
The wrong badge - already fixed
scratched table - could do a straight swap for any other van they have on sale
Is it scratched dash or Glove box - glove box is a simple swap
No limo tint - looks like you have the privacy glass, just the level of tint is not in line with what you thought was privacy glass
water leak - this is the only concerning item, could be as simple as the door seal for the drivers door not seated properly.

Sounds to me like the dealer is hoping you will reject, a 4motion with a sports pack available for this summer should go up in value once the order book is closed in the next few days.
The scratches are on the dash, doesn't look an easy fix to me, didn't see it on collection as paperwork was put in front. It's extremely annoying, that after 3 weeks, nothing has actually been done.
If you look at my photos, the description 'privacy', is way off the mark ! We have a VW Golf, 2019 R Line with privacy glass in the rear, and it does what it says in the description, the fact you can stand at the back of the van, look straight through, another layer of privacy glass and still see as clear as day surely is not correct !

Dash.jpg

Is it just me or does anyone else get the impression that VW are rushing the builds of the end of line Californias with less regard to quality control?
I am going over mine with a fine tooth comb when it arrives. Not handing over my existing van . Taking step ladders to check the roof too. Testing everything At least we all know breeze are an honest dealership . Tbh a good dealership should spot scratches.

Yes. I got a full refund and a refund for the extended warranty, although they initially said they would not refund that. I called VW customer service who then called the dealer and they then agreed to refund the warranty.
For the tracker, I arranged for the original installer to visit Eurovans and transfer it to another vehicle. I think I paid £125 for that. The thing that p1ssed me off was the fact that they had it up for sale on the forecourt even before providing my refund, which took over two weeks.
What if we don't have another vehicle for the tracker to go on ?

What if we don't have another vehicle for the tracker to go on ?
You would need to speak to the company you purchased from.

If you do decide to reject, I would also get in touch with VW Finance tomorrow and ask if they will honour the 0% Finance deal if you ordered an immediate replacement, on the basis you have had to reject the original van.

If you do decide to reject, I would also get in touch with VW Finance tomorrow and ask if they will honour the 0% Finance deal if you ordered an immediate replacement, on the basis you have had to reject the original van.
Good thinking, thanks.

Not sure why you are asking on here if you should reject your new California.
Only you know if you want to keep it or reject.
Sounds like you did not do your homework on the vehicle and specification you wanted and made sure what you wanted was on the order form.
You can check the actual build specification of that vehicle if you have the vin number and go to and register
And then go to
Vehicle Equipment details.

Do you think they might take it back, or do we offer it to the next owner of the van ?
I don’t know who fitted your tracker but it might be worth a call to Auto Solutions in Hailsham, I believe they offer a removal service to uninstall trackers/alarms.
Maybe get it removed and reinstall in your next Cali?

Thank you, but don't we only have 30 days to reject ?
I would not call this privacy glass !
Have serious concerns about water ingress and damage now, no one is selling this to me !

View attachment 121950
I think it’s only the side windows that are privacy..the rear not so much, although tinted which is a legality thing of seeing out of it with your rear view mirror, perhaps that’s the reason? Was your golf as it came from factory or aftermarket / dealer arranged tints put on?

Last edited:
You can check the actual build specification of that vehicle if you have the vin number and go to and register
And then go to
Sorry to go off topic but on a new order awaiting delivery when would the vin number be available to access this and would there be info that was advantageous to the owner ie more detail on delivery progress?

I think it’s only the side windows that are privacy..the rear not so much, although tinted which is a legality thing of seeing out of it with your rear view mirror, perhaps that’s the reason? Was your golf as it came from factory or aftermarket / dealer arranged tints put on?
From the factory, as standard in a R Line

Sorry to go off topic but on a new order awaiting delivery when would the vin number be available to access this and would there be info that was advantageous to the owner ie more detail on delivery progress?
It can only be registered on My VW once you have the Vin on your log book.

Not sure why you are asking on here if you should reject your new California.
Only you know if you want to keep it or reject.
Sounds like you did not do your homework on the vehicle and specification you wanted and made sure what you wanted was on the order form.
And then go to
We are asking peoples opinion, based on experience with similar issues.
We would love to keep the van, but given replies regarding the potential water damage, I'd rather a replacement.
We have done a huge amount of research and viewed many converters before deciding on the California with the exact specification that we ordered.
Having checked the build specification, it would appear that we have not got what we ordered, to be told 'specification can vary from the brochure' doesn't go down well with me, not when your're spending £80,000.
Also anyone taking delivery of a new van should be aware that the 12 volt outlet on the dash has now 'changed specification' to a black plastic plug to fill the hole ! Having been told this was normal, until we looked at the other 5 Californias on their forecourt all of which had 12 volt outlets. I appreciate that specifications change, but do get the impression that we got an end of production version.

Plug.jpg

With I wonder how many (I'm guessing a lot with the incentives) "end of production" orders this year going in , how many will have faults/issues that should not happen during normal production.

The badge F@%$ Up and dash scratches are inexcusable!

Also anyone taking delivery of a new van should be aware that the 12 volt outlet on the dash has now 'changed specification' to a black plastic plug to fill the hole ! Having been told this was normal, until we looked at the other 5 Californias on their forecourt all of which had 12 volt outlets. I appreciate that specifications change, but do get the impression that we got an end of production version.

View attachment 122000

Does the same year transporter have the 12v in that position? This might help explain why you got the transporter badge.

Does the same year transporter have the 12v in that position? This might help explain why you got the transporter badge.
Not sure,either way, it should have been picked up on inspection.

With I wonder how many (I'm guessing a lot with the incentives) "end of production" orders this year going in , how many will have faults/issues that should not happen during normal production.

The badge F@%$ Up and dash scratches are inexcusable!
Agreed, I'd do a thorough inspection when you collect yours.

Back