Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do we reject our new California

J

Jon123

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all, we picked up our new Ocean 4 Motion on 20/03/24, having had a tracker [£899] installed and the 'Caravelle' badge changed to the correct 'California' badge. Drove the van home, parked it on our drive and having got the same comment from 2 different people on the fact that we should have ordered privacy glass, which we actually did, with the 'Sports Pack'. The following day we noticed drips of water that appeared to be coming out of the auxiliary heater grill, then on the drivers side 'window sill', also scratches in the plastic on the glove box, and scratches on the table, still never having actually used the van. We emailed photos to the garage and were told 'you definitely don't have privacy glass', and we can sort the other problems. Having not heard for a week, I rang again, to be told they were waiting to hear back from VW. More days went by, with more water coming in, we decided to call the garage and return the van for repair, and to be stored indoors. The salesman agreed with our concern, and told us it can be kept inside at their garage. We drove the van back to the garage on 27/03/24. Checking on the tracker, the van sat inside the garage for 12 days without even being started. On 08/04/24, we received an email from the sales manager saying that 'he has been passed our concerns, and will now take the lead'. Having checked the tracker, we saw that the van had now been moved, at speeds up to nearly 80mph, to another VW site, and was now being stored outside. Today [13/04/23], we decided to call into the garage and see the sales manager, to be told, they will look at ordering parts, they couldn't find a water leak, and most annoying, said that we had got privacy glass, but could add a tint, as he had on his transporter demonstrator.
Having spent nearly £80,000, plus tracker, insurance, Trelino portable toilet, windscreen cover, WiFi router etc. etc. we have totally lost any confidence in the van, and feel as though they are dragging this out so we miss the 30 day deadline.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue, if so what outcome did you decide on, because as first time buyers, this has totally put us off wanting to own the California to be quite honest. We expected a lot more for the money spent, and a more satisfactory response than we received today.

Leak 1.jpg

Leak 2.jpg

Leak.jpg

I’ve not had this with a California, ours is fine. I did however have Mercedes CLA 45 that took 6 months to arrive, then arrived without adjustable suspension, without leather seats and a without a few other options I had specified. Rejected it, and charged the dealers interest on my deposit they had for 6 months, wasn’t easy, ended up with a threat of court before I got it all Sorted.

ordered another one from a better dealer, complained direct to Mercedes as well and they sourced the right car for me within 6 weeks. Brought it from Germany on a transporter all on its lonesome.
I would complain direct to VW.
Mercedes told me “they don’t make mistakes” when I asked who messed up the order.

@Jon123 better get the poptop up and test the bellows for leaks. It's the easy route to rejection. Sounds you have had had a very poor experience so far made worse by the unhelpful and nonchalant response from the dealer. Who did you buy from?

How utterly depressing for you. Whether or not you reject is a tough one for you I am sure. Everything you describe should be resolvable with ought too much difficulty with a good dealer but it sounds like a tough exercise with your current one.

I can completely understand why you are deliberating on rejecting it. I guess it would have to be down to how much time/effort you can justify to get what you should have got hassle free.

Last edited:
Very disappointing start. Sure the leak is fixable (? the door seal? and drain pipe in the roof not fixed together correctly.) But how much water has ingressed has damaged would be my concern. Having a 'Caravelle' badge fitted is a joke and it was missed at the factory and at the dealership. The tinted window would be my biggest issue If I ordered factory tints I would not want aftermarket stick-on ones.

PS Reject and talk to VW direct

Last edited:
@Jon123 better get the poptop up and test the bellows for leaks. It's the easy route to rejection. Sounds you have had had a very poor experience so far made worse by the unhelpful and nonchalant response from the dealer. Who did you buy from?
Citygate

Hi all, we picked up our new Ocean 4 Motion on 20/03/24, having had a tracker [£899] installed and the 'Caravelle' badge changed to the correct 'California' badge. Drove the van home, parked it on our drive and having got the same comment from 2 different people on the fact that we should have ordered privacy glass, which we actually did, with the 'Sports Pack'. The following day we noticed drips of water that appeared to be coming out of the auxiliary heater grill, then on the drivers side 'window sill', also scratches in the plastic on the glove box, and scratches on the table, still never having actually used the van. We emailed photos to the garage and were told 'you definitely don't have privacy glass', and we can sort the other problems. Having not heard for a week, I rang again, to be told they were waiting to hear back from VW. More days went by, with more water coming in, we decided to call the garage and return the van for repair, and to be stored indoors. The salesman agreed with our concern, and told us it can be kept inside at their garage. We drove the van back to the garage on 27/03/24. Checking on the tracker, the van sat inside the garage for 12 days without even being started. On 08/04/24, we received an email from the sales manager saying that 'he has been passed our concerns, and will now take the lead'. Having checked the tracker, we saw that the van had now been moved, at speeds up to nearly 80mph, to another VW site, and was now being stored outside. Today [13/04/23], we decided to call into the garage and see the sales manager, to be told, they will look at ordering parts, they couldn't find a water leak, and most annoying, said that we had got privacy glass, but could add a tint, as he had on his transporter demonstrator.
Having spent nearly £80,000, plus tracker, insurance, Trelino portable toilet, windscreen cover, WiFi router etc. etc. we have totally lost any confidence in the van, and feel as though they are dragging this out so we miss the 30 day deadline.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue, if so what outcome did you decide on, because as first time buyers, this has totally put us off wanting to own the California to be quite honest. We expected a lot more for the money spent, and a more satisfactory response than we received today.

View attachment 121926

View attachment 121927

View attachment 121928
Reject for sure, that’s what I would do. If you still want a new van, then order from a decent dealer on Monday. I’m guessing this wasn’t bought through Breeze.

Never got as far as getting the poptop up !

Told that privacy glass was standard on an Ocean, if so, why does the Sports Pack suggest 'Give your California 6.1 Ocean the ultimate edge', for £2694 offer privacy glass, if its already included ?

Sports pack.png

Told that privacy glass was standard on an Ocean, if so, why does the Sports Pack suggest 'Give your California 6.1 Ocean the ultimate edge', for £2694 offer privacy glass, if its already included ?

View attachment 121935
I agree with the dealer. This has been a raised many times - there are a number of options available that include standard kit. I think this is one of them, I don’t think the sports pack glass is any darker than the standard privacy glass. I certainly couldn’t see any difference with mine side by side with a standard van and other dealers have stated the same, I’m not aware of any evidence that it’s different. Not really clear what your dealers telling you but sounds like it may tie in to that ie. you‘ve got privacy glass it’s just not what you expected ie. darker than standard due to the misleading sports pack description.

I agree with the dealer. This has been a raised many times - there are a number of options available that include standard kit. I think this is one of them, I don’t think the sports pack glass is any darker than the standard privacy glass. I certainly couldn’t see any difference with mine side by side with a standard van and other dealers have stated the same, I’m not aware of any evidence that it’s different. Not really clear what your dealers telling you but sounds like it may tie in to that ie. you‘ve got privacy glass it’s just not what you expected ie. darker than standard due to the misleading sports pack description.
Agreed, very misleading from the image in the brochure, looks black with matching black pillar, but in reality, it looks green.

Agreed, very misleading from the image in the brochure, looks black with matching black pillar, but in reality, it looks green.
My sports pack is definitely darker tint than both my previous vans.

My sports pack is definitely darker tint than both my previous vans.
Possibly they didn't have privacy glass installed? From what I can tell from pics the tint is green and looks very similar to the privacy glass supplied with the Edition Pack option. Nothing like the brochure image.

On the plus side though, you do get the acoustic pack and heated windscreen with the sports pack and that's not included in their advertising either!!
I don’t have any knowledge of the dealer you are with although they don’t sound great from what you describe, but I wouldn't be too quick to reject the van. As I say, I don’t think the privacy is a big issue and the caravelle badge certainly isn’t - that’s been documented on here before, mistakes happen, easy non invasive fix. The water ingress is the real issue and is a little unusual but could well also be an easy fix - looks to me like a possible door seal alignment issue, possible a sliding window (known fault, easy replacement) or possibly just some residual from build/transport. The front door seals have been known to leak water through too, which is just a seal / tighten to fix, but looks like the water is from higher up.
Perhaps put the dealer on notice that you will exercise right to reject if the water ingress isn't fixed within reasonable timescale.

On the plus side though, you do get the acoustic pack and heated windscreen with the sports pack and that's not included in their advertising either!!
I don’t have any knowledge of the dealer you are with although they don’t sound great from what you describe, but I wouldn't be too quick to reject the van. As I say, I don’t think the privacy is a big issue and the caravelle badge certainly isn’t - that’s been documented on here before, mistakes happen, easy non invasive fix. The water ingress is the real issue and is a little unusual but could well also be an easy fix - looks to me like a possible door seal alignment issue, possible a sliding window (known fault, easy replacement) or possibly just some residual from build/transport. The front door seals have been known to leak water through too, which is just a seal / tighten to fix, but looks like the water is from higher up.
Perhaps put the dealer on notice that you will exercise right to reject if the water ingress isn't fixed within reasonable timescale.
Thank you, but don't we only have 30 days to reject ?
I would not call this privacy glass !
Have serious concerns about water ingress and damage now, no one is selling this to me !

Privacy glass.jpg

That looks like the standard privacy glass to me, at least what VW call privacy glass.
Final rejection period is 6 months but it’s certainly easier within first 30 days. You could agree the dealer an attempt to fix having identified the fault within 30 days and reject if unsuccessful but it sounds like you are pretty clear on the way you want to go, makes sense if you are concerned about damage from water ingress. Just need to write them a letter and hope they accept that it’s a significant fault.

It looks like you might have a 'Friday afternoon van', if so, there may be more issues as yet undiscovered if and when you do actually get to use it.

The sports pack glass is a darker tint than the normal privacy glass.
I don’t think so.
The brochure is riddled with errors - the sports pack definitely includes black wing mirrors which aren’t mentioned, and the Ocean includes front fogs with cornering function as standard, but they are mentioned as included with the SP in the brochure. Are Springfields ‘diamond turned’ or just painted?
I have sat in other Oceans and I don’t perceive a difference with the tint. I think it’s another misleading brochure error to say the SP includes privacy glass. It’s standard on an Ocean.
IMG_9101.png

Last edited:
I don’t think so.

I do think so....

That brochure extract doesn't mention the heated screen, darker tail lights or the black cladding to the sills. - in fact it mentions front & rear underguard which is wrong, its a front splitter.

Having had two with "normal privacy" & one with Sports pack privacy its definatly darker on mine.

VW suggest Z2A option - which is included as part of the sports pack gives 25.7% glass in the rear side windows compared to 39.2% in the normal privacy or 73.5% for "normal" glass the rear window stays at the same tint, it is just the side windows that change.

QL0 - standard on an ocean and on option on the surf
QL3 is standard for a beach with QL5 as the single glazed privacy option.

Attachments

• VW Glass Options.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back