Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do we reject our new California

Thank you, but don't we only have 30 days to reject ?
I would not call this privacy glass !
Have serious concerns about water ingress and damage now, no one is selling this to me !

View attachment 121950
It’s a lot easier to reject within 30 days. I rejected mine on day 30. After 30 days you need to give the dealer once chance to fix the fault, One particular dealer that is mentioned a lot on this forum would do everything they can to wriggle out of a rejection after 30 days. My advice is if you would like to reject the van, definitely do it within 30 days.

That rear window does not have privacy glass. That looks like standard glass. Would be good to see a view from the side to compare the front windows to the rear ones.
When you said you had a Caravelle badge I thought you meant one of the badges on the side of the front wing. So whoever fitted yours would have been looking through the non-privacy glass at your wardrobe while sticking the Caravelle badge on…!!

[

You need the same photo but with the interior lights off. You can see straight through privacy glass from the outside when the interior lights are on.
As the van is at the dealers, I'm afraid this is the best I can do.

Tint 2.jpg

Tint 3.jpg

Tint 1.jpg

It’s a lot easier to reject within 30 days. I rejected mine on day 30. After 30 days you need to give the dealer once chance to fix the fault, One particular dealer that is mentioned a lot on this forum would do everything they can to wriggle out of a rejection after 30 days. My advice is if you would like to reject the van, definitely do it within 30 days.

That rear window does not have privacy glass. That looks like standard glass. Would be good to see a view from the side to compare the front windows to the rear ones.
When you said you had a Caravelle badge I thought you meant one of the badges on the side of the front wing. So whoever fitted yours would have been looking through the non-privacy glass at your wardrobe while sticking the Caravelle badge on…!!
Agreed, this was missed in the factory, as well as at the dealership, after 'inspection' !

As the van is at the dealers, I'm afraid this is the best I can do.

View attachment 121969

View attachment 121970

View attachment 121971

From photos - Windows are all tinted from A-pillar back, so guessing you are just missing a darker tint from the sports package (unless it's just marketing!…ie same tint as standard Cali) ; The only way to achieve the same result is to have these windows replaced as this is what you paid for (tinted film will achieve a similar look, but might be too dark if applied over the existing windows), or get some £ back from VW as you have paid for something that you didn't receive.

If it was me I would reject as its a lot of £, maybe they have a similar van in stock? looks like you might have received the ‘friday afternoon’ van…or maybe VW are struggling for parts as coming near to end of production run - hence the wrong badge - but how they missed this detail on a pre delivery inspection beggars belief…and will make any buyers alarm bell go haywire!…because then you check every other single detail / fault.

Would also question them as to why your van was driven to a different dealership. Did your van get donor parts from another vehicle, rather than new parts.

Last edited:
If you reject it, immediately order a new one, order book closes within days from now

From the pics you can clearly see that all the windows are tinted. Level of tint looks exactly as my 2023 California Ocean 4Motion.

If you reject it, immediately order a new one, order book closes within days from now
Agreed, but the 0% deal has finished and some options including the sports package are no longer available on the configurator, so can not replace it with the same specification we ordered.
I believe everyone buys this type of vehicle for various personal reasons, hence our particular specification, most importantly waiting for the 4 Motion to return, otherwise we would not have bought it, so to have spent in excess of £80,000 with insurance, tracker etc., all the more reason for it to be as good as you expect, unbelievably disappointing. I think we will reject it as people advise and wait for the T7 version. As with other 'rejectors', we were promised the leaking issues had been resolved, we didn't even get to the point or raising the poptop before we experienced water ingress.

From the pics you can clearly see that all the windows are tinted. Level of tint looks exactly as my 2023 California Ocean 4Motion.
Do you have the sports pack ?

Agreed, but the 0% deal has finished and some options including the sports package are no longer available on the configurator, so can not replace it with the same specification we ordered.
I believe everyone buys this type of vehicle for various personal reasons, hence our particular specification, most importantly waiting for the 4 Motion to return, otherwise we would not have bought it, so to have spent in excess of £80,000 with insurance, tracker etc., all the more reason for it to be as good as you expect, unbelievably disappointing. I think we will reject it as people advise and wait for the T7 version. As with other 'rejectors', we were promised the leaking issues had been resolved, we didn't even get to the point or raising the poptop before we experienced water ingress.
If you plan to reject, I suggest you go to drive the deal and price up a similar spec and then speak to Breeze on Monday to see what they can offer. You say the Sport pack is no longer available, but what the dealer has on their configurator will likely be different from what you can see, so maybe you can still order it. Yes, the 0% offer has finished but you may find Breeze offer a better deal that compensates for this. Definitely worth a call.

Regarding the issues, we’ve established that the tint looks standard and the badge can easily be fixed. Is it just the water ingress that’s left? Where was it coming in from?

Oh, and don’t wait for a T7 California. As far as I know the only future model is based on the Multivan and not the commercial platform.

Regarding the issues, we’ve established that the tint looks standard and the badge can easily be fixed. Is it just the water ingress that’s left? Where was it coming in from?

Oh, and don’t wait for a T7 California. As far as I know the only future model is based on the Multivan and not the commercial platform.
He hasn't tested the bellows yet for leaks. That would be priority #1, but difficult as the dealer has it.

If you plan to reject, I suggest you go to drive the deal and price up a similar spec and then speak to Breeze on Monday to see what they can offer. You say the Sport pack is no longer available, but what the dealer has on their configurator will likely be different from what you can see, so maybe you can still order it. Yes, the 0% offer has finished but you may find Breeze offer a better deal that compensates for this. Definitely worth a call.

I got the price from Drive the Deal, the local garage matched it, presumably so not to pay DTD any commision.
There are a few quality issues internally, scratched table, scratched dash, additional drawer not lining up with adjacent one, they can all be sorted, but the fact that they haven't even started, having had the van for nearly 3 weeks is quite concerning. Added to the flippant attitude from the sales manager, with no timescale as to when we may get it back, as well as saying they couldn't find the water leak.
My feeling is that we bought one of the most expensive vehicles of it's type and feel we should get all our money back, as well as the cost of the tracker, filling it with fuel as almost empty when collected, and the cost of unused insurance, having not been able to use the van.
They will undoubtedly sell the van for considerably more than we paid for it, judging by the VW website and Autotrader.

He hasn't tested the bellows yet for leaks. That would be priority #1, but difficult as the dealer has it.
Agreed, it sat on our drive waiting to hear back from the dealer/VW, until we got too concerned about it being outside. Now, finding out yesterday that it is being stored outside, questioning it with the sales manager to be told 'we don't have room inside, or we can put it in the Asda carpark' !!!
Strange how the attitude changes once you've picked the van up.

Surely the T7 would be upgraded sufficiently to be built as a campervan, and wouldn't you prefer a VW rather than a Ford, I certainly would given the research we have done to come to the conclusion of buying a California.

Surely the T7 would be upgraded sufficiently to be built as a campervan, and wouldn't you prefer a VW rather than a Ford, I certainly would given the research we have done to come to the conclusion of buying a California.
The MV is a car based chassis, adapted for use as a minimalist camper van. It will have the same payload and towing restrictions as the car on which it's based. Changing the payload rating is more involved than just adding a few extra braces and calling it a day. And the MV Cali Concept is not the new T7.

Having recently owned a 2nd hand Cali, and conversions in the past. Calis look nice but have issues as does any other manufacturer - but the issues tend to get glossed over.

Yours is a new purchase. If it's not right reject it. If you purchased something on Amazon for £20, and it was faulty, you would send it straight back for a refund.

Having recently owned a 2nd hand Cali, and conversions in the past. Calis look nice but have issues as does any other manufacturer - but the issues tend to get glossed over.

Yours is a new purchase. If it's not right reject it. If you purchased something on Amazon for £20, and it was faulty, you would send it straight back for a refund.
Agreed, nicely put..................phone call in the morning required.
Thanks everyone, I feel the general opinion is that there may be more issues than we have seen, and potentially big problems ahead.
Has anyone experienced a full refund, with their expenses being paid ?
Has anyone returned a van with a tracker that they have had installed ?

The MV is a car based chassis, adapted for use as a minimalist camper van. It will have the same payload and towing restrictions as the car on which it's based. Changing the payload rating is more involved than just adding a few extra braces and calling it a day. And the MV Cali Concept is not the new T7.
Well it looks like the only option going forward for some years to come.

Agreed, nicely put..................phone call in the morning required.
Thanks everyone, I feel the general opinion is that there may be more issues than we have seen, and potentially big problems ahead.
Has anyone experienced a full refund, with their expenses being paid ?
Has anyone returned a van with a tracker that they have had installed ?
Yes. I got a full refund and a refund for the extended warranty, although they initially said they would not refund that. I called VW customer service who then called the dealer and they then agreed to refund the warranty.
For the tracker, I arranged for the original installer to visit Eurovans and transfer it to another vehicle. I think I paid £125 for that. The thing that p1ssed me off was the fact that they had it up for sale on the forecourt even before providing my refund, which took over two weeks.

There are a few quality issues internally, scratched table, scratched dash, additional drawer not lining up with adjacent one, they can all be sorted,

So you've got:
The wrong badge - already fixed
scratched table - could do a straight swap for any other van they have on sale
Is it scratched dash or Glove box - glove box is a simple swap
No limo tint - looks like you have the privacy glass, just the level of tint is not in line with what you thought was privacy glass
water leak - this is the only concerning item, could be as simple as the door seal for the drivers door not seated properly.

Sounds to me like the dealer is hoping you will reject, a 4motion with a sports pack available for this summer should go up in value once the order book is closed in the next few days.

So you've got:
The wrong badge - already fixed
scratched table - could do a straight swap for any other van they have on sale
Is it scratched dash or Glove box - glove box is a simple swap
No limo tint - looks like you have the privacy glass, just the level of tint is not in line with what you thought was privacy glass
water leak - this is the only concerning item, could be as simple as the door seal for the drivers door not seated properly.

Sounds to me like the dealer is hoping you will reject, a 4motion with a sports pack available for this summer should go up in value once the order book is closed in the next few days.
That is a good point as that dealer really sales their stock at top price from what I have seen.

Back