Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket Headunit - Newsmy Carpad 2S

Fixed the issue by replacing BonovoMcu.apk with the one from xdAuto 1.1.6c-160dpi as found on this russian forum (google translate): http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=628941&st=860
There is now 'standby time' in the 'update setting' app.
However, it doesn't seem to work...
If I turn off and remove the car key , the headunit stays on. Not even standby.

Spoke too soon. It does work, but standby only kicks in when you open the door. This seems to trigger a canbus event (door open displays), and then the unit turns off right away.
Nice, now I can configure the shutdown time. I will set it to two hours.

I recently purchased a new headunit to replace my RCD310.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this Greg.

I'm collecting my new California SE next week and it has both the RCD310 and standard VW Bluetooth phone connection. If I replace the 310 with this headunit then will I have to pair my phone with it and use the new unit for hands-free calls, or can I simply continue to use the built in Bluetooth for calls? Then the 310 just becomes a standalone Android tablet for navigation and media, which can optionally be tethered via WiFi to the phone for mobile internet.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this Greg.

I'm collecting my new California SE next week and it has both the RCD310 and standard VW Bluetooth phone connection. If I replace the 310 with this headunit then will I have to pair my phone with it and use the new unit for hands-free calls, or can I simply continue to use the built in Bluetooth for calls? Then the 310 just becomes a standalone Android tablet for navigation and media, which can optionally be tethered via WiFi to the phone for mobile internet.

I didn't have factory bluetooth, but I'm pretty sure it'll become redundant once you change the headunit. The Newsmy includes bluetooth though so you can use that instead. To get decent audio I'd try and use the microphone input from the OEM install if you can as it should be well sited. Hope that helps.

I didn't have factory bluetooth, but I'm pretty sure it'll become redundant once you change the headunit. The Newsmy includes bluetooth though so you can use that instead. To get decent audio I'd try and use the microphone input from the OEM install if you can as it should be well sited. Hope that helps.

Thanks Greg. I've ordered the unit from the place in Spain and will investigate and report back in a few weeks when everything arrives and is setup.

The unit was delivered today. Very well packed and looks good so far.

I bought this http://www.seicane.com/android-4-4-...steering-wheel-control-obd2-mirror-link-k7402 which is similar to the Newsmy product. I am quite pleased with it, certainly good value for money however their after sales support is a bit poor though I do admit that my Chinese is non existent! I have a remaining problem I would welcome advice on. The unit works fine however when I switch on my lights, side or head, the display flickers in pulses/regular intervals which is quite distracting though everything still works. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Unfortunately it's still on my To Do list. I haven't ordered a double FAKRA, plus I'm a bit nervous as it's a new van. Also I'm worried that the Dealer didn't give me a code for the VW 310 so it will probably never work again if I remove it.

The idea of flashing a new ROM to the Android box doesn't concern me at all, I'm comfortable with computer stuff, but removing the standard unit and drilling holes makes me feel very unconfident.

I could be wrong but I believe the Entertainment Unit is coded to the ECU. If moved to another vehicle it has to be programmed in using VAG Diagnostic software.

I could be wrong but I believe the Entertainment Unit is coded to the ECU. If moved to another vehicle it has to be programmed in using VAG Diagnostic software.

So if I have to put it (the original unit) back in my Cali will it just work?

Yes, I believe so. There is no code. Check the Handbook. I think it is mentioned there.

My RCD-310 have a code. My dealer gave me it when took deliver.

You don't need a double fakra convertor to install it, you can connect one of then. Our Calis have two radio aerials (aside of the DAB one, which is the purple one) and that's because we got double fakra. OEM headunit take signals from both aerials an process them using the stronger one. by connecting one of then you're using ine of the aerials.

Think everyone is correct.

The RCD310 that came with the van will be linked to your vans ECU - so you can take it out and plug it in as many times as you want and it will not ask for a code.

However if I put your headunit in my van, then it will ask for a code - you can get the code from VW.

My van came with a RCD310, and I have replaced with an RNS510 - I can plug in the RCD310 when ever I like and it just works. If I unplug the 510 then I have to enter the code again.

Finally got some time to figure out flat battery problem
I've flash xdAuto firmware, and I recommend it. It's the community developed firmware, a lot better, fixes, more settings, more configurable. No chinese apps, just plain android and english.

I've connected to radio to a 12v power supply in house (black fro GND, yellow for 12v, red to a switch on/off button then to 12v).
The radio draws 13-15watts power on on (no music).
If goes to 2watt on shutdown. I've measured and can confirm that after 2 hours it goes to 0watt.

So if you are to wire the radio to the leisure battery, it's really easy. The top tray 12v socket is connected to that batter, just connect the newsmy's YELLOW wire to the red wire there. Then it will still turn off with ignition (that's the red wire), but I guess this can be solved by connecting the red wire to a switch button and then to the same +12v.
My plan is to add a 3g dongle and a DVB-t stick, so we have both television and netflix for those rainy days.

I already was tempted to connect the headunit to the top tray socket, but I was a little reluctant because the headunit is a 15A one, and I though for that current amount would be better to route a dedicated wire. I guess the head unis will never need 15V, but probably close to that when demanding much sound power.

For the stand by, I was thinking to install a switch in the tray to be able to select permanent (permanent 12v input) or engine (the current red cable connection).

As I bought the california without speakers and radio, I had no rear speakers nor front tweeters. I just had them installed (good quality) and the front speakers replaced by quality speakers as well for EUR 680. It was an 6.5 hour job. For the speaker cable, they took the route on the opposite side from the sliding door (it's a beach) because then the floor could be left untouched. Then they traversed through the back (bumper protector) for the speaker grill on the sliding door. Entire interior panels had to be removed, as well as the middle seats. If you have the heater, the sliding door side only fits a 13cm rear, otherwise it's a 16cm.
I now have a high quality 6-speaker system, with this great android system, for about 1.1K EUR. Sounds great and crisp with a lot more bass.

Next is to test the DVB-T2 receiver I got for digital radio reception.
As for 3G dongle, it worked fine through pp widget2, but I've used a HUAWEI E5330S-2 in the glove box, powered from the Newsmy, which is great and can provide internet access on its battery when the car is off. You need another sim though. Alternatively, tether your phone's data to the newsmy. The core bluetooth function of the newsmy (there are 2, 1st is for bluetooth data and headphone, 2nd is for calling) can auto connect through your phone.

I haven't had much joy with the DVB-T2 receiver in the van; even in my house on a phone it won't get signal unless the house aerial is plugged into it. I might try one of those high gain small antennae but I also doubt the ability to hold signal on the move - you don't have to drive too far round these parts to switch between different regional output

I haven't had much joy with the DVB-T2 receiver in the van; even in my house on a phone it won't get signal unless the house aerial is plugged into it. I might try one of those high gain small antennae but I also doubt the ability to hold signal on the move - you don't have to drive too far round these parts to switch between different regional output

Good to have some feedback on this, I had toyed with the idea of buying a DVB-T s(they are so cheap) but suspected getting a performant aerial would be an issue. If you look at other headunits that come with DVB support / add on they have some fairly decent (multiple I think) aerials that are strategically located in parts of the van for optimal reception.

I personally wasn't too bothered about the video support from these but was keen to get DAB/DAB+ radio support. Wavesink is the only half decent android app that appears to support this with the same tuner stick, but similarly I was concerned about aerials needed to give decent reception - stick on windscreen don't always get good reviews, external mounted sounds a faff. Also I read that Wavesink has to retune fully each time started, not ideal for in-car audio.

Be keen to hear if anyone has good experience with android for these in-car use scenarios.

Your Cali have not DAB aerial? Mine have one.

Your Cali have not DAB aerial? Mine have one.
Never checked, assumed it wouldn't as the factory fit radio wasn't DAB. Dual fakra connector is all I found behind the headunit, I'm assuming that's just a diversity antenna for FM. Not checked for any signs of something coming out of the wing mirror which is where I believe DAB antenna is located.

Yes, dual fakra is FM, you got an aerial at each mirror (I only conected one to the headunit). My Cali (April 2015) came up with DAB unit and I've got one more single fakra (aerial is at one of the mirror).

Don't know whether this aerial could be good enought. Maybe at some point I'll buy a DAB dongle and test it, but I need some time to find one which works fine and a good Android app.

Maybe at some point I'll buy a DAB dongle and test it, but I need some time to find one which works fine and a good Android app.

See my earlier mention of Wavesink and its potential limitations (i'd never buy it at that price either). To my knowledge that is the best of very few android apps that do this. The author's website has recommendations on the chipset which is known to work well with his app.

I have yet to test my DVB-T2 dongle. If reception turns out to be the problem, I still can use it on my phones/tablets when camping.

Regular radio is okay, though I miss RDS. We could write an app that has all station data and their location so that it knows station names and auto-switches frequency based on gps location, the most important RDS feature.
I just need time. The eternal problem.. :)