Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket Headunit - Newsmy Carpad 2S

Hello, good to see renewed interest in the thread. To answer a few questions:

Reversing sensor display works well, you get a nice display of object proximity around the vehicle.

I ordered direct from newsmy in china via aliexpress. I used DHL because I didn't see the china post service offered. China post would save you a lot, though I'm not sure I'd trust it. Note that the price sometimes randomly doubles on aliexpress but if you mention the xda thread they'll give you the best price.

This is one of the few (maybe only) modern pure android headunits, a lot of the other units out there are win ce and android dual systems which is a bit messy. Newsmy have made almost all the source code available, so the developer community over at XDA is excited about the opportunities for this unit.

The unit can accept a 3G dongle and many other peripherals such as TV tuners if you really must. I just use my phone auto tethered for internet access.

I've just loaded in all my wild camping spots and kite surf spots to the nav, is working very nicely. Even got them all in google earth so I can quickly check out streetview and confirm they're suitably scenic before heading over to a spot :) Will post some pics of that setup if I have time after I get back from my bank holiday weekend adventures!

One reply I forgot: It came from China but I didn't pay any import duty. I think Newsmy put a very low goods value on the shipment, something like $100. Not sure how they get away with that, the package appeared to have been opened and inspected at customs also. I was prepared for having to pay import duty but not having to was a nice surprise.

Just check up with Spaniard provider whether it's compatible with the Cali 2015 and, after send a picture of the dashboard, they confirmed it is :bananadance

Just check up with Spaniard provider whether it's compatible with the Cali 2015 and, after send a picture of the dashboard, they confirmed it is :bananadance
Thanks a lot for this!
Great product at a great price. I'm so happy I didn't order a factory VW radio.
I will install an app that tracks every place I ever travel to in the Cali. Great to look at a plot later, in many years, when the cali will be sold. :)

I just placed my order on this spanish website. EUR 409 including shipping.
Now I only have to figure out how to install two extra (rear) speakers (it's a beach, 4 speakers in the front are preinstalled).
I was told the wires to the place where the rear speakers are in a Multivan (just behind the doors in the side wall) should be there already. If not, I'll figure something out. Perhaps even a pair of bluetooth speakers

I'll also order mine in Spain because this way I'll get the mandatory (by law) two years warranty

As I mentioned in my last post, here's a video of how you can get the POIs setup nicely on the sat nav. Nothing specific to the Newsmy system, but a good example of what you can do with the non OEM units. I usually wildcamp, so I wanted easy access to the POIs provided by wildcamping.co.uk as well as the extensive index of campsites in Europe provided by archiescampings.eu. There are also POIs for britstops and freely available water supplies. All of this works offline, quick video of it using iGO in action:

With the Archies campsite data it comes into the 10s of thousands of POIs in this set. I spent a bit of time tidying up the POI to create easily identifiable icons and rearranging the POI files so they're better laid out. I'd like to redistribute these freely to anyone interested but annoyingly the wildcamping.co.uk site seems to have set up a little business maintaining and selling the wildcamping POIs. However if anyone's interested (and technically minded), feel free to PM me and I can send you the icons and python script to transform the wildcamping and archies POI files.

I recently purchased a new headunit to replace my RCD310. Quite impressed with the quality of it so thought I'd post a review on youtube to help others out.

Cheers,
Greg

Greg, is the radio DAB?

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As I mentioned in my last post, here's a video of how you can get the POIs setup nicely on the sat nav. Nothing specific to the Newsmy system, but a good example of what you can do with the non OEM units. I usually wildcamp, so I wanted easy access to the POIs provided by wildcamping.co.uk as well as the extensive index of campsites in Europe provided by archiescampings.eu. There are also POIs for britstops and freely available water supplies. All of this works offline, quick video of it using iGO in action:

With the Archies campsite data it comes into the 10s of thousands of POIs in this set. I spent a bit of time tidying up the POI to create easily identifiable icons and rearranging the POI files so they're better laid out. I'd like to redistribute these freely to anyone interested but annoyingly the wildcamping.co.uk site seems to have set up a little business maintaining and selling the wildcamping POIs. However if anyone's interested (and technically minded), feel free to PM me and I can send you the icons and python script to transform the wildcamping and archies POI files.

For Archies campsite did you have to covert POIs somehow? I´m using Sygic and would like to have this offline information

POIs like Archies and WildCamping can also be added onto the VW RNS510 unit, not just aftermarket ones. I've been using IGo on my phone and an aftermarket unit in our Yeti for years and it's certainly easier to add POIs than with the VW unit. My current favourite though is CoPilot (which should go onto an Android aftermarket unit). It seems to choose more sensible routes than the RNS or IGo and map updates come through automatically.

POIs on the RNS510

Yes iGo does choose some funny routes, prefer Waze when I have network coverage but if/when I have to time I'll check out co-pilot, thanks. I was showing the video to show the customised POI icons mainly, nice to see the wild camping spots with an indication of whether they are urban or rural, lay by or car park etc. The same file can be used in Google Earth (on the heading also) to check a wild camping spot isn't too dreadful before you drive there.

The archives camping data comes, if I recall correctly, in a few different formats. I used the kml one as a basis for my tidied POI files, but you'll need to check if the Archie's site has ones compatible with the Sygic specific format. If not there are probably online converters out there.

Back to the head unit , it only has FM radio as shipped, though I've read an inexpensive (<ÂŁ10) dongle can be used to get DAB, DAB+, DVB-T and even other radio frequencies (!). Necessary accompanying apps would be needed. Might be a bit fiddly so I've not bothered (yet!), but having DAB is appealing.

Yes iGo does choose some funny routes, prefer Waze when I have network coverage but if/when I have to time I'll check out co-pilot, thanks. I was showing the video to show the customised POI icons mainly, nice to see the wild camping spots with an indication of whether they are urban or rural, lay by or car park etc. The same file can be used in Google Earth (on the heading also) to check a wild camping spot isn't too dreadful before you drive there.

The archives camping data comes, if I recall correctly, in a few different formats. I used the kml one as a basis for my tidied POI files, but you'll need to check if the Archie's site has ones compatible with the Sygic specific format. If not there are probably online converters out there.

Back to the head unit , it only has FM radio as shipped, though I've read an inexpensive (<ÂŁ10) dongle can be used to get DAB, DAB+, DVB-T and even other radio frequencies (!). Necessary accompanying apps would be needed. Might be a bit fiddly so I've not bothered (yet!), but having DAB is appealing.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately not having built-in DAB is a deal breaker for me :(

I just placed my order on this spanish website. EUR 409 including shipping.
Now I only have to figure out how to install two extra (rear) speakers (it's a beach, 4 speakers in the front are preinstalled).
I was told the wires to the place where the rear speakers are in a Multivan (just behind the doors in the side wall) should be there already. If not, I'll figure something out. Perhaps even a pair of bluetooth speakers

Trying to send you python scripts....but not VIP so no way to contact you directly....

Sent you my email address. Thanks!

Package arrived today. :)
I will try to install it this weekend.

Gregspam,

I studied the installation instructions.
Where did you install the GPS antenna and the microphone? Can you mount them out of sight and still have a well functioning system for reception and audio quality?

Do you know if there is an installation video somewhere? That XDA developers thread is 400 pages long.. and it's about different units as well.

I wasn't expecting an external small android board to be mounted elsewhere than the actual head unit. The head unit contains the screen, buttons, power supply, amplifier,... The external android board unit is connected to it with some cables, has a smartphone form factor. Thinking about it, this is a great approach. If we ever want to upgrade the system in 5 years, we only replace the small android box (perhaps even mount it in the glove box?), and you have all the latest greatest in software. The cost of that device should be around EUR 50-100 max.

Gregspam,

Where did you install the GPS antenna and the microphone? Can you mount them out of sight and still have a well functioning system for reception and audio quality?

When retrofitting the RNS510 I just put the GPS antenna under the black tray on the dashboard - you can tape/cable tie it to the top of the radio cage and replace the tray. I get a very good signal this way. The official VW antenna fits in the wing mirror and would be a pain to retrofit.

With the Microphone you can fit it into the same unit as the interior lights and camping unit. http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/first-weekend-away-report-and-questions.4492/#post-39550. This is the VW location for older installs. For recent installs it installs in a plastic unit above the drivers head, but this means cutting the head lining :eek:

Gregspam,

Do you know if there is an installation video somewhere? That XDA developers thread is 400 pages long.. and it's about different units as well.

I wasn't expecting an external small android board to be mounted elsewhere than the actual head unit. The head unit contains the screen, buttons, power supply, amplifier,... The external android board unit is connected to it with some cables, has a smartphone form factor. Thinking about it, this is a great approach. If we ever want to upgrade the system in 5 years, we only replace the small android box (perhaps even mount it in the glove box?), and you have all the latest greatest in software. The cost of that device should be around EUR 50-100 max.

I stuck the GPS receiver to the underside of an area of the dash trim not far under the dash tray. The GPS receiver is magnetic so it stuck well to one of the metal bars under the dash tray but I found gps reception there wasn't good.

The microphone I stuffed somewhere in there as well as I couldn't be bothered routing it around the headlining into any official slot. Sound quality obviously not great, but I don't really use the hand free feature much.

The separate small android box is indeed a handy format, I have it in the glovebox and it provides a couple of handy USB sockets for charging phones and easy access to the SD card slot. I routed the cable through the hole that would be used for the media interface.

I don't know of any installation instructions but I found it was all fairly straightforward (I was replacing an RCD310). Feel free to shout if you have other questions. Note that to use Google Now a separate USB microphone is required. I haven't tried this yet, but it could be quite useful for ultimate voice control.

Thank you. I just finished installing the unit.
My car came without radio, so there was a bay inside that had to be taken out and for that I had to remove first the top tray, then two screws, then the entire plastic front panel as can be seen in the first four pictures here http://www.t5calif.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3152
Then another four screws, and the thing came out.

The toughest part is removing the plastic from the front panel without damaging it. It's quite brittle. Getting it back afterwards wasn't so easy either.
The installation manual is really bad (chinese english, incorrect, and a bit brief)

I saw the unit has a built in mic on the front panel, I will try that first and see what the audio quality is. Later I can connect the external mic if needed.

As my car came without radio, I have only 2 speakers for now.
Some pictures on the links below
IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

Yesterday I got a warning 'inaccurate GPS signal'.
Also I noticed the GPS was sometimes off. I guess I will have to adjust the place it is mounted.
Besides that, great unit.

I've just ordered one if this, let's see

Mine is installed and configured as I want it now - just awaiting an adapter for a TV dongle so I can get the DAB radio stations; will report back!

And where did you mount (or have mounted) the GPS antenna and external mic? Still thinking about the best spot.

I used a sticky tab to attach to the underside of the dash tray that you have to remove to fit - seems to be working so far but will report back when I have tested in anger