Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket Headunit - Newsmy Carpad 2S

Got mine one and installed last, weekend.... very happy and investigating the possibilities. I've got it in the Spaniard provider o that I can get 2 years European guaranty. Cost me 380 EUR

By the way Greg, I've copied your background pic :D

IMG_20150524_191034357_HDR.jpg

BTW, installation documentation is very poor, but it's easy enough to install in couple of hours

IMG_20150524_181444920_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150523_181102696.jpg

IMG_20150523_181033505_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150524_190048077.jpg

A question for those that have this unit installed like me.
My new cali is parked (4 months now) and I can't drive it because of stupid paperwork issues.

I notice my battery voltage went from 12.77 (full) to 12.32 in just 7 days of being parked without use, which translates to about 50%. I've had flat batteries in the past...

Has anyone who has this head unit observed a similar problem ?

I will have to charge the battery again and then try to find and remove the radio fuse, and see in the coming days if it still goes down as quickly as it has been..

I has similar situation: lot of time parked because of stupid paperwork issues and Newsmy HU mounted.... I got absolutelly flat of battery.

I don't know exactly the cause yet, but I'm pending to:
- Messure consumption.
- Connect it to the lesure batteries.

As soon as I get some spare time, which lately never happens, I'll do. If in the meanwhile someone do, please, share the info.

I have to add I was testing it, upgrading it, playing music, installing apps and maps...... so I guess that did help. But just in case I want to measure.

My battery lost 15% in 36hours.
Now I've unplugged the radio.
Will measure again in 24h. We'll know if it's the radio or the battery.
On the newsmy forum they state consumption should be <1ma after a while.

I think that's too much... have you connect the ignition positive to allow the HU tell whether the Cali's ignition is on? Maybe yours one is ALWAYS working.... that's not good.

Well, 48hours later, and battery dropped only about 3%. Given that I opened the electrically assisted doors and the doorstep lights turn on, this seems very normal.
It must be the way the radio is wired.

I have ordered my cali without any radio. As a result, the cali came with very little wires. There are only 5 wires and four speaker wires that I can connect.
The five wires are
2x red: seems to be +12v and always on
1x brown: seems to be ground
2x orange: I have no idea. They are about +5.7v compared to ground

I don't have rear view, aux, all that, so connecting cables was actually easy
There is no ignition activated +12v.

I think I(we?) have the problem explained in this topic:
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/radio-does-not-switch-off-with-ignition.8881/

But this headunit clearly understands canbus (parking sensor display) so it's not shutting down on a canbus turn off signal, for some strange reason. I have to find out why.

In my Cali the head unit turns off after little while when take off the ignition key, and the Andriod Box shuts completely down after some more time.... actually, after a large stop, it takes several seconds to boot up again.

I've used the connector the HU privides, which match perfecly with the Cali one. There is a cable for the ignition... don't remember but have a look this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Newsmy_CarPad_NU3001

By the way, my Cali is 2015 model.... don't know whether that makes the dfference

Mine is also 2015. i dont have the red ignition wire. Did you order yours like me without radio?

I've also noticed startup time is longer after a long stop. Perhaps the system doesn't shutdown cleanly in all cases. And when in such a state, it eats the battery..?

Mine one came with a RCD 310 DAB.

When takes longer is because the Android Box is off so it should consume electricity.

Because I'm always traveling my Calis is the whole week stoped.... I'll measure the battery on Friday when at home to see how charged it is, but it was two weeks parked and it started up with no problems.

I think I made a mistake not ordering the RCD310.
It also means no rear speaker wires, no ignition wire, ..
They should make it a lot clearer on the option list.
Anyway, I will contact the garage on how to retrofit it.

I think I made a mistake not ordering the RCD310.
It also means no rear speaker wires, no ignition wire, ..
They should make it a lot clearer on the option list.
Anyway, I will contact the garage on how to retrofit it.

There's no ignition wire provided regardless of the headunit.

Then it's all based on canbus signals?
Something must be causing the unit not to turn off completely sometimes.

I'll try a firmware upgrade tonight.

Been reading on the xda-developers forum. Turns out this could be a bug in the firmware or MCU version I have. So the update could fix it.
It turned out my wiring was correct. Thanks to Bokumaro who suggested that I update my stock ROM latest and since I could not find latest stock ROM I went via Tuataras into XdAuto today. And Bingo! The delayed shutdown works out of the box! So the good side is I learned about the tooling and I can say: XdAuto and your guys help rocks!
fingers-crossed.gif
Secondly this proofed that stock ROM 1.1.16 has a bug with standby. Thanks for all who helped!

Did you bought it to the Spaniard provider? If so, send then an email to access to their updatws pages to get last MCU and firmware updates. I've recently installed firmaware 1.4.4_2.0 and MCU v41

Can you share 1.4.4_2.0 with me?
I have upgraded to 1.2.2 with mcu41, all went fine, but when launching the 'update setting' app, it crashes. So it means I can no longer downgrade the mcu. All I can do, is upgrade to another stock rom which supports mcu 41. 1.2.2 is the latest I've been able to find.

Last version is actually "AD3188_CarPad-II-P_KK4.4.2_1.2.0"

I'm afraid I cannot share this file because is given by Exclusive Car Auto to their customer, ethically is like this site VIP content, I shouldn't share them with non VIP members.

Maybe you could contact them to get a customer account to be able to get those content. They are very helpful and, maybe, even if you bought your unit directly to the manufacturer, they could help you.

Have a look to their contact page: https://exclusivecarauto.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=3ed1278bcee1e667c333f29ba98bea41

I'm very sorry about that.

Lot of VW California Club VIP content is public in other sites and I never share what I get from here.

PM sent.

It's nothing to do with exclusive - they don't update the software or own that right it's the manufacturer

They don't create them, but they provided me the last firmware version which, as you can see, is not easy to get even from the manufacturer. As European distributor of Newsmy products, they provide this kind of services.

Please, have a look to the PM I've sent you.

I don't get the problem about these firmware images.
They are available on the manufacturers website, it's just that it's in chinese and downloading requires a Baidu account. For that reason, people mirror it all over.
E.g. here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=bf26...folder,txt&authkey=!ACyfjprmPYCHU28&mkt=en-US

I don't see the need for "Exclusive Car Auto" as a party in between manufacturer and end-user. They were just the webshop I bought it through. Unless they happen to have access to some early versions that are not on the internet. But now that I know it's just the "older" 1.2.0, it's not the case.
I will try 1.2.0 tonight. Perhaps 1.2.2 was not stable enough, or perhaps I should upgrade using rkbatchtool and do a total wipe with 1.2.2.

I also don't see the need, just got from them, but for sure there are other places where you can get them.