Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wow, just taxed my Ocean

I was looking at this. For speed limits, Oceans are light motor homes and have same limits as cars. For vehicle excise duty/road tax, they are private light goods vehicles and pay £325 pa.

Thanks your replies, please excuse my ignorance but is the Latest Cali Ocean classed as a motorhome or commercial van or are they one of the same thing for VED purposes?
All part of the DVLA chopping and changing VED rates
Pre April 2017 classed as cars with reference to emission figure for Band rate.
Post April 2017 got classed as over £40K luxury car with the first and following 5 years VED rate having a surchange.

That got changed when it was to be applied to Motorhomes whose manufcturerds and dealers got organised and had that stopped, California got taken out of the luxury category at that time and put in commercial category.

All part of the DVLA chopping and changing VED rates
Pre April 2017 classed as cars with reference to emission figure for Band rate.
Post April 2017 got classed as over £40K luxury car with the first and following 5 years VED rate having a surchange.
Just to go further back:
About pre 2012 taxed as cheapish flat car rate as motor caravans didn’t have to show emissions on V5.
Early beaches did show emissions & got charged much more than the equivalent SE

About 2013 All started to be charged same as cars & based on emissions - that’s when blu motion was introduced which dropped most down a band or two on the tax scale.

Just to go further back:
About pre 2012 taxed as cheapish flat car rate as motor caravans didn’t have to show emissions on V5.
Early beaches did show emissions & got charged much more than the equivalent SE

About 2013 All started to be charged same as cars & based on emissions - that’s when blu motion was introduced which dropped most down a band or two on the tax scale.
Could write a book on the Cali range VED rates and classifications, Motorcaravan , people carrier etc.

Demonstrates the Political indecision/incompetence over the decades.

There's zero point in moaning. Anyone who owns a motor vehicle must accept that they are driving around in a very productive cash cow and that the beast will be milked dry by every successive chancellor in every way possible. The reasons he/she uses for these tax grabs are unimportant as vehicles are just too great a temptation to ignore. They can bang on about the need to reduce the numbers of cars on the roads but that's just another excuse that supports increased milk production.

Will it every change? No. Is the current system fair? No. Will it ever be fair? No.

So pay up and enjoy your vehicle or get a horse. GG's are zero rated for VED. However beware, they effectively eat twenty pound notes and you can't switch them off! Also the emissions aren't great.

Last edited:
Won't be too long before VED starts going up for EVs and they start charging EVs to enter ULEZ zones around the country.

Won't be too long before VED starts going up for EVs and they start charging EVs to enter ULEZ zones around the country.
I can’t see charging to enter ULEZ zones for EVs. Surely they would then become vehicle payment zones as everyone would be paying.
Or are you thinking that could happen decades in the future?

I can’t see charging to enter ULEZ zones for EVs. Surely they would then become vehicle payment zones as everyone would be paying.
The Councils/Authorities that have introduced such chargers are now hooked on the money for their pet projects/whatever and will face diminished returns as the % of Exempt vehicles increases so they will be forced to change the reasons to collect a charge. They’ll think of some way , Congestion charge, PM2.5 particle emissions from tyres whatever.

The Councils/Authorities that have introduced such chargers are now hooked on the money for their pet projects/whatever and will face diminished returns as the % of Exempt vehicles increases so they will be forced to change the reasons to collect a charge. They’ll think of some way , Congestion charge, PM2.5 particle emissions from tyres whatever.
If they used the money to subsidise very cheap public transport, for example a flat rate for the whole day to use the bus, that may be a more effective way of reducing emissions in city centres. I think Bristol charges £6 a day for the bus, but I wonder what the difference in traffic would be if they made it £1 per day and paid the bus companies out of ULEZ. If councils were really committed to reducing inner city emissions, they should be experimenting with different options to do so… in my opinion.

Remember a number of years ago diesels were subject to lower tax than petrol equivalents as they were more fuel efficient. Then they realised that diesel emissions were more pernicious than petrol, so they went the other way (or realised that they weren't generating enough tax as everyone had switched to diesels)

Some council owned car parks in Bath now use emissions based parking charges.
I can understand a flat rate ULEZ type charge but charging an increasing fee the longer you stay makes no sense when the vehicle is stationary and not emitting pollutants. Its a war on the common person by some UK Councils.

Some council owned car parks in Bath now use emissions based parking charges.
Surely you should be charging high polluting cars LESS to park than others, as the longer they're parked up the less polluting they are ;)

20p/hour extra. Seems fair enough to me. Bath is a traffic nightmare anyway.

It will be controversial but I support road pricing and low emissions zones. Particulates kill people. But also I’d rather travel less often in clear flowing traffic than spend my life in traffic jams. Roads are a scarce commodity and if they were priced properly we’d all get around more freely. I realise that many will think that road pricing means higher costs, but it needn’t. Road tax is basically a poll tax. Move it onto road pricing and we’d all benefit.

20p/hour extra. Seems fair enough to me. Bath is a traffic nightmare anyway.

It will be controversial but I support road pricing and low emissions zones. Particulates kill people. But also I’d rather travel less often in clear flowing traffic than spend my life in traffic jams. Roads are a scarce commodity and if they were priced properly we’d all get around more freely. I realise that many will think that road pricing means higher costs, but it needn’t. Road tax is basically a poll tax. Move it onto road pricing and we’d all benefit.
20p? More like 70p+ per hour extra for a diesel Cali (204HP @209g/km). And increasing more costly the longer you park?

20p? More like 70p+ per hour extra for a diesel Cali (204HP @209g/km). And increasing more costly the longer you park?
£0.70 an hour that’s peanuts, Islington have a diesel surcharge of £6.50 an hour!!!

Petrol cars including hybrid have a surcharge of between £2.00 and £3.75 depending upon emissions.

It makes a huge difference, the basic charge is between £2.00 and £6.50

So to park your builders van comes out at £130 per day - that assumes your van is ulez compliant otherwise there’s that to add on as well

I was looking at the wrong table and stand corrected.

The first hour is an extra 70p and each additional hour is an extra 10p. The effect is that the additional charge per hour reduces - 70p for one hour, 40p per hour for two hours, 30p per hour for three.

Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. It reduces per hour for longer parking, not increases.

Yes but in Islington and the rest of central London you have an outstanding alternative of buses, tube & trains which run every few minutes until late at night, most other cities don't tend to have that. I do take the point of people who use vans but they'll simply price that into their quotes.

Political favourite seems to be road mileage charge with lots of categories such as - time of day - road being used - vehicle weight - and any other category deemed justifiable.

Political favourite seems to be road mileage charge with lots of categories such as - time of day - road being used - vehicle weight - and any other category deemed justifiable.
Road pricing will have to happen to keep the pennies rolling in and that should benefit the majority of this community due to below average mileage.

Road pricing will have to happen to keep the pennies rolling in and that should benefit the majority of this community due to below average mileage.
Thats a huge assumption that the majority of this community are below average mileage. My guess would be that the reverse is true, there may well be a lot a of low mileage van users but those people tend to run another vehicle or two in the household.

Don't forget the weight factor.

Islington have just increased the parking charges on EVs this is their press statement:

"Introduction of electric vehicle pricing tiers

While electric vehicles are better for the environment, they do cause some pollution. These pollutants come from matter released by brakes and tyres and the process of creating and recycling the car battery.

The new seven-tier system will help make the pricing structure fairer and ensure that the council is adapting to the huge change in the range of electric vehicles available. "

Looks like EVs are going to be fair game for pollution charges in the future.

Yes, the Euro7 standard may well have an impact for EV owners entering a LEZ/ULEZ

Emission limits for tyres and brakes: tyres and brakes shed particulate matter (microscopic pieces of material) as they wear. Euro 7 will set limits for how much brake dust and tyre particles can be produced by new cars. This is an entirely new requirement.