Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wow, just taxed my Ocean

My 2020 Coast cost £520 last January :eek: I’m still outraged how the DVLA can charge different prices for the same vehicle!
That is bizarre. Is there any mileage in consulting DVLA about the existence of your Gas Burner, this changes the vehicle use type I was led to believe.

That is bizarre. Is there any mileage in consulting DVLA about the existence of your Gas Burner, this changes the vehicle use type I was led to believe.
Fair play.

A friend of mine converted a triumph stag to an electric car. Because all local dvla offices were closed in 2013, thanks austerity, he cannot get it re classified so it is not insurable.

The centralised system has left him shouting into a void for 18 months.

Why? It’s been registered & taxed correctly according to the rules that were in place at the time.
In a couple of years the OP will benefit from the lower rate of tax currently £185/yr compared with newer vans paying £320

Why? It’s been registered & taxed correctly according to the rules that were in place at the time.
In a couple of years the OP will benefit from the lower rate of tax currently £185/yr compared with newer vans paying £320
Hi Andy, is the current model high or low on tax?

Current models excluding Beach tour are £320
Beach Tour would be £185 + £390 for 6 years

This can be shortened a bit apparently if the van is is taxed twice in the first year, ie dealer taxes it as a pre reg van & sells it after a couple of months, new buyer taxes it in month three then that seems to count as the first of the 5years after the initial registration.
This is exactly our case. 2020 T6 Beach that we bought after a couple of months from the dealer. It will be on the lower tax rate in 2025.

That’s good news…..

Yes a big shock for us too when we purchased a 2018 California Beach from Exeter commercial vehicle dealer Carrs.
Totally outrageous profiteering by the Government / DVLA.
I phoned DVLA asking them to explain themselves and ask why my California would exert more wear on the roads to say another van, panel or otherwise, of similar weight, naively assuming that road tax goes towards road repair.
As stated here, it's all about the initial value of the vehicle and it would seem that from DVLA's viewpoint, you are rich so you can afford to be further penalized, so the policy is to rip us off.

Yes a big shock for us too when we purchased a 2018 California Beach from Exeter commercial vehicle dealer Carrs.
I phoned DVLA asking them to explain themselves and ask why my California would exert more wear on the roads to say another van, panel or otherwise, of similar weight, naively assuming that road tax goes towards road repair.
As stated here, it's all about the initial value of the vehicle and it would seem that from DVLA's viewpoint, you are rich so you can afford to be further penalized, so the policy is to rip us off.
And when it drops to £185/Yr, Cheaper than many cars and other vehicles?

Yea but it it does get cheaper after 5 years of the higher rate. Have you worked out the break even years compared to an Ocean?

You do realise that it’s the government who set the rates, the DVLA enforce / administrate. It’s in a similar vein to the police enforcing the laws that the government introduce…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have jus taxed my new to me Ocean. £570!! Wowsers I wasn’t expecting that. Didn’t do as much research as I thought………Best use it as much as possible to get my moneys worth
That's very expensive indeed. In Ireland we have a reduced tax for 'leisure vehicles' so I was able to tax my new 204hp Cali for €102/year. If I had to pay that level of tax then it would have to be the daily driver for our family, and I would have to rule out the Ocean with its 4 seats.

No such think as Road Tax, we pay Vehicle Excise Duty. Roads are payed for and maintained through general taxation. It does seem crazy that there are different rates applied to essentially the same vehicle. I’d imagine the lower rate after 6 years is of little comfort to those that don’t keep their Cali's long enough to benefit. I was shocked when I went to tax my 2018 T6 purchased last year but I’m 'lucky' that I’ll benefit from the reduced rate eventually unlike the original owner.

It’s a T6 & some of those were hit with the luxury car tax. So correct for now but will be cheaper in the future.
Correct my T6 150 Ocean was in that class, VEL should be lower this time round.

Fortunately for new Cali buyers when Motorhomes were going to be put in that Luxury bracket the Manufacturers and Dealers got organised to get it stopped. Cali got included at that point, no thanks to VW for letting apply in 2017.

Fortunately for new Cali buyers when Motorhomes were going to be put in that Luxury bracket the Manufacturers and Dealers got organised to get it stopped. Cali got included at that point, no thanks to VW for letting apply in 2017.
Just a thought, get yourself one of those 2.5 litre , 5 cylinder dinks . 265gbp per annum . Sounds a bit like a tractor but hey you pay your money you pay a price for luxury. Don’t think DVLA will assist in any way.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've read all the posts and an really confused now. I have a new Cali 204 Ocean on order, I appreciate that VED will be included in the purchase price. Will I be paying £320 or £570 in the 2nd year, or even a different figure?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've read all the posts and an really confused now. I have a new Cali 204 Ocean on order, I appreciate that VED will be included in the purchase price. Will I be paying £320 or £570 in the 2nd year, or even a different figure?
£325

California now classed in commercial van VED rate

Our 2018 Cali VED just dropped to £180, but our 2003 1600i Mexican built catalysed Beetle remains at £325! Stinger for having a Single Vehicle Import, that is ironically less polluting than the 2003 Polo.

Thanks your replies, please excuse my ignorance but is the Latest Cali Ocean classed as a motorhome or commercial van or are they one of the same thing for VED purposes?