Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wood Effect Floor

I’ve ordered the wood effect floor and intend to cover it with carpet most of the time. Why? Because some of the time - going out for the day with friends, for example - I plan to take out the carpets and camping gear and for the van to look nice.

The original floor has been there since the first T5 California. I haven't heard that this would become sticky, but perhaps others have. Didn’t know either they are rubberised.
The intention should be that they are durable, but they are easily scratched and dirty and although they can be scrubbed hard, I don't find them that easy to get clean again. This is my experience. I also use the cali almost every day and regularly insert (and remove) the 5th chair. This does not contribute to keeping the aluminum inserts of the rails scratch-free. Our cali is used for daily transport, container park rides/ communal waste recycling (with thick large pieces of cardboard in it for protection) and traveling with the four of us. Personally, I like the wood effect floor better, but I didn't order it and I bought an after market carpet and thought I would dress it up a bit... the carpet hangs in the garage: I almost never put it in our Cali.
If I had to do it again: I would order the wood effect floor. I think.

The original floor has been there since the first T5 California. I haven't heard that this would become sticky, but perhaps others have. Didn’t know either they are rubberised.
The intention should be that they are durable, but they are easily scratched and dirty and although they can be scrubbed hard, I don't find them that easy to get clean again. This is my experience. I also use the cali almost every day and regularly insert (and remove) the 5th chair. This does not contribute to keeping the aluminum inserts of the rails scratch-free. Our cali is used for daily transport, container park rides/ communal waste recycling (with thick large pieces of cardboard in it for protection) and traveling with the four of us. Personally, I like the wood effect floor better, but I didn't order it and I bought an after market carpet and thought I would dress it up a bit... the carpet hangs in the garage: I almost never put it in our Cali.
If I had to do it again: I would order the wood effect floor. I think.
I agree with your comments regarding cleaning the plastic floor. If buying again and tempted by the wood look floor, I’d be one of those who covers it up most of the time.

So £540 for the option and £60 for the Dunelm special carpets :D

Certainly brightens up the subdued colours of the Ocean interior. Nice shiny bin too :)
I wonder how many people have paid for the ‘wood’ floor and still cover in carpet?
I like my very expensive wooden effect floor so much I decided to purchase
some just as expensive brandrup carpet to protect it. Happy days.

:cool: What you need to do is buy some Dunelm runners now to protect the Brandrup carpet. Job done.
The shaggy pile Marvel ones :cool:
Nice and cosy for winter!!

We ordered it as part of the £1,500 of free options in October. Having had 3 Cali’s with the standard floor, it’s a PITA to keep clean and really like the look of the wood floor.

I like my very expensive wooden effect floor so much I decided to purchase
some just as expensive brandrup carpet to protect it. Happy days.
It’s like ordering a lovely svelte iPhone (or insert your brand of choice here), and protecting with a bulky case.

I occasionally take mine out just to look at the sleek shiny thing I actually bought.

I rarely use the carpets tbh, they only come out when it’s cold. That said the floor level heater warms the wood floor up nicely…

I wouldn’t have specified the wood floor but my van wasn’t optioned up by me. I find it much much easier to clean than the grey floor as it has a smooth easy to wipe surface. This is the first van I’ve had without a carpet there & probably won’t bother. The boot however is fully carpet lined as it stops stuff sliding & stops a lot of rattles.

If I was ordering again I probably would go for it again.

I wouldn’t have specified the wood floor but my van wasn’t optioned up by me. I find it much much easier to clean than the grey floor as it has a smooth easy to wipe surface. This is the first van I’ve had without a carpet there & probably won’t bother. The boot however is fully carpet lined as it stops stuff sliding & stops a lot of rattles.

If I was ordering again I probably would go for it again.
It just makes the interior look premium instead of utilitarian. There is already too much grey inside. Kinda depressing on a rainy day sitting in a sea of grey with the poptop down down coz the bellows leak......

When I was bemoaning the vinyl wood effect flooring as a cost option, it just seems disproportionately expensive for a man made product.

I was looking at a Project Yonder ad for a Sprinter. They supply marine grade cork flooring. Looks great & a natural product. Win, win.

IMG_0474.jpeg

IMG_0475.jpeg

We humbly take the opposite view. Great spend of 500 quid in our opinion and makes the inside of the van look great, getting lots of comments from other owners when they see it.

The wood floor is all the way to the boot, so not just the living space and not just 1sqm.

Horses for courses.
Agree - love ours !

We love our light grey carpet which is specifically made for the California. 4 years on it still looks fantastic. It cleans up so easily and we haven't had any stains that a quick spray of Vanish hasnt shifted. It just feels so cosy!

If it says 'Reinforced p(l)astic floor covering in wood look' as standard at no extra cost, and 'wooden floor with plastic lining' as an optional extra, then the latter must surely be solid or laminated wood, and the former must be plastic, not rubberised, but with a wood effect finish. After all, a wooden floor laid on top of metal would need to be waterproofed which is why it is lined with plastic. My 2019 T6 Ocean has a grey plastic floor. I assume the wood effect plastic floor is a new addition to standard spec. I'd like to see it. I dont think VW would use a rubberised floor knowing that the rubber constituant would naturally deteriorate over time. Certainly, a plastic yacht always looks better with a Teak deck, and £540 doesnt go very far these days.

I have to admit, if I was ticking configurations then I doubt I would tick the wood effect floor. Ours was an ex demonstrator and it was fitted. Now we have it, I think it looks good and we intend to keep the van for many years anyway so quite pleased.

I have no idea how different it is to keep clean or its durability compared to the standard floor and we have only just got the van in the last month anyway.

We like it.

Another perspective. We have the wood effect floor - bought the van as a new pre-specced jobbie with a supermarket sweep raid on ever available option. I never see the floor, as we’ve always got mats down. Remember you’re in and out in all weathers - I wouldn’t want to bother with not having mats to capture all of the dirt and wet etc. I wouldn’t order it myself - and it does look a bit “faux”.

Another perspective. We have the wood effect floor - bought the van as a new pre-specced jobbie with a supermarket sweep raid on ever available option. I never see the floor, as we’ve always got mats down. Remember you’re in and out in all weathers - I wouldn’t want to bother with not having mats to capture all of the dirt and wet etc. I wouldn’t order it myself - and it does look a bit “faux”.
I do think the light oak variant looks a little better, more closely resembling the teak planking on boats its supposedly imitating, than when it's in the Ocean, but then I'm partial.
In my van shoes are left at the door and deposited in the Shoeboxx, and then it's a strict slippers, socks or bare feet policy.

This is it, too faux.

I’m geeking out on marine grade cork flooring. You can rout the grooves and fill with a black mastic of sorts.

Could be a fun winter project.

Top of my list but we have the Coast with lighter wood cupboards matching oak wood floor - I only have a small mat down so really feel affect of floor - love it

If your going to use mats etc: then for about £350 or so you can get a Brandrup carpet set, front/ middle and boot that fits and lasts. Doesn't have to be moved when sliding bench seats, easily brushed and looks good for years.

Back