Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wood Effect Floor

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I think I am being dim as a newcomer.

I looked at the configurator this afternoon, under standard equipment, it has reinforced plastic floor covering in wood effect.

Is that the standard grey plastic floor (which isn't wood effect obviously!) and I am missing something.

The wooden floor with plastic lining still appears as a cost option.

What is the difference?

As an aside, I couldn't see the shower attachment as an option any longer.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 16.12.29.png

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 16.14.14.png

The no cost option is the grey rubberised floor. Wood effect plastic floor is the 540 quid option

I’d imagine that’s a configurator error - grey floor is standard, the wood effect is a cost option. Shower is available apparently, it’s just missing from the configurator. A good dealer should be able to confirm what is or isn’t available.

I’d imagine that’s a configurator error - grey floor is standard, the wood effect is a cost option. Shower is available apparently, it’s just missing from the configurator. A good dealer should be able to confirm what is or isn’t available.
That was what I was thinking - grey rubber floor is standard.

I was hoping VW had become generous and included wood effect flooring, per what now appears as standard equipment on the interior list.

Interesting, I see this happened on the configurator a couple of years ago.

Does anyone know the outcome - was it just a glitch in the matrix or were some vans supplied with this as standard equipment for a period of time?

Remember if you're planning to put a carpet down, it does question the point of the wood effect floor (in fact, I'd go so far as to say the stock floor material would grip a carpet better than the wood effect finish).

Wouldn’t bother with it for £540, I just stuck down a couple of Dunelm mats on the floor and they protect the rails from any damage as well. Pretty sure my lounge cost less than £540 to laminate.

View attachment 116788
Yes, these is my thoughts, disproportionally expensive for 1m2 or so Lino.

I was thinking of just buying an Amtico offcut and doing it myself. Or like you, some carpets.

Save £ for other kit.

Yes, these is my thoughts, disproportionally expensive for 1m2 or so Lino.

I was thinking of just buying an Amtico offcut and doing it myself. Or like you, some carpets.

Save £ for other kit.
We humbly take the opposite view. Great spend of 500 quid in our opinion and makes the inside of the van look great, getting lots of comments from other owners when they see it.

The wood floor is all the way to the boot, so not just the living space and not just 1sqm.

Horses for courses.

We humbly take the opposite view. Great spend of 500 quid in our opinion and makes the inside of the van look great, getting lots of comments from other owners when they see it.

The wood floor is all the way to the boot, so not just the living space and not just 1sqm.

Horses for courses.
I also think its money well spent. The standard rubberized floor will have a tendency to degrade over many years resulting in sticky surface. The wood effect floor not only brightens the interior (at least in the light oak finish), complimenting the other interior features but is extremely hard wearing and easy to clean. The only negative is that things tend to move around if stored on the floor when traveling, but same would apply is a carpet is used too. I use rubber mats strategically under items that might shift in transit.

I also think its money well spent. The standard rubberized floor will have a tendency to degrade over many years resulting in sticky surface. The wood effect floor not only brightens the interior (at least in the light oak finish), complimenting the other interior features but is extremely hard wearing and easy to clean. The only negative is that things tend to move around if stored on the floor when traveling, but same would apply is a carpet is used too. I use rubber mats strategically under items that might shift in transit.
Yeah - we have one of those magic door mats - works a treat.

I also think its money well spent. The standard rubberized floor will have a tendency to degrade over many years resulting in sticky surface.
Of course nobody knows how the wood look floor will age. Its quite a new option so may suffer from longer term degradation of some sort.

Wouldn’t bother with it for £540, I just stuck down a couple of Dunelm mats on the floor and they protect the rails from any damage as well. Pretty sure my lounge cost less than £540 to laminate.

View attachment 116788
Certainly brightens up the subdued colours of the Ocean interior. Nice shiny bin too :)
I wonder how many people have paid for the ‘wood’ floor and still cover in carpet?

Of course nobody knows how the wood look floor will age. Its quite a new option so may suffer from longer term degradation of some sort.
Certainly its possible but pure conjecture. Rubber on the other hand is known to age causing its sticky constituents to leach to the surface. A process sped up by high temperatures, humidity etc all of which the interior of the van will experience to a less or greater degree over time.
All things considered the wood effect floor should be a safer option long term.

Certainly its possible but pure conjecture. Rubber on the other hand is known to age causing its sticky constituents to leach to the surface. A process sped up by high temperatures, humidity etc all of which the interior of the van will experience to a less or greater degree over time.
I didn’t realise the floor was made of rubber, I have to say. In my Beach it seems more like a hard and very tough plastic.

I struggle with the wood effect, as although it brightens the interior for sure, its an expensive facsimile of real wood.

Now, if they were going to lay teak flooring like a yacht, there's a different story.

My instinct is to pocket the £ and brighten the look and increase the longevity of the flooring with an aftermarket flooring.

Last edited:

View attachment 116788
Looks identical to mine! I think the pair of runners were about £50 in total or something. An hour with a Stanley knife and hey presto. 30 nights or so of camping and no sign of wear. I made a smaller one for the step out of the leftovers - that's been washed with no ill effects (although it was surprisingly good at absorbing water!). I actually find it holds things in place really well - the bin never moves (same location) and we generally have the kid's little travel potty which is like an oversize lunchbox (hard and shiny plastic) and that stays still too.

I wonder how many people have paid for the ‘wood’ floor and still cover in carpet?
TBH we used to - bought the campervan carpets ones. We ended up getting cheesed off with always moving them so got rid. Now we just have the wood floor and a small mat. The floor sweeps and wipes well and looks good. Easy. If it gets worn, we don't care - that is what the van is for.

Well the standard floor must be a funny kind of rubber. 9 yrs on certainly not sticky and not difficult to clean .

I do sometimes when I’m camping and want a warm cosy vibe. Otherwise the carpets live under the comfort mattress and the easily cleanable, better looking wood floor comes into its own. Best of both worlds.

Back