Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter water system

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, learning so much from you.
With sub zero on its way, is there a danger of the water in the domestic supply freezing and bursting things.
Do you have to drain the water tank
Does that mean if you go camping in the snow you can't use the sink?

We ever use the water system in winter, drain tank, turn tap on to get rid of any water in pipes. Then do as we do use 2 x 5 litres water bottles.

John

Thanks John, that's what I thaught.
Though I wouldn't have thaught of it if I hadn't been reading this forum.

The dealer who sold me the van knew I was driving home with no hook up so bought me a kettle from Argos, and some biscuits.
It didn't work
Having read the forum on the inverter , I understand why it wouldn't, even if plugged via an adaptor.

What was the last , most obscure thing you discovered about the Cali.

If you Cali sits inside a garage there's no problem
Using it in cold themps on a trip say to Alps skiing , be sure you leave the heather on low all the time , nothing will freeze as long you are using the Cali on a every day base.
If it is outside best , drain all watertanks , also the tap !
Leave the drain valve "halve " open/closed

Even better to fill it all and go off to warm places for the winter....:bananadance

We ever use the water system in winter, drain tank, turn tap on to get rid of any water in pipes. Then do as we do use 2 x 5 litres water bottles.

John
We camp in winter mainly skiing and hiking trips, we always use the main water tank and sink, key to prevent pipes freezing is leave cupboard doors half open when you are parked up, that lets warm air from the van circulate to prevent freezing, worked for us at -8 deg in Glencoe.

Back