Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problems with fresh water drain on new SE

BrisOBriens

BrisOBriens

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all,

Picked up our brand new SE last week (woo hoo!) and one thing doesn't look right.

When I drain the fresh water tank, only some of the water comes out of the drain hole under the tail gate - the rest gets distributed along a plastic tray and overflows near the tow bar, and around the spare wheel carrier.

VW van centre said 'doesn't look right but we can't find any problem'.

Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_0802.jpg

Other than that, its been very happy camping so far!

Con

Looks normal to me. Not one of VW's better designs.

Yes, your dealer is right.

The fresh water tank does drain like this. The outflow is hidden above the splash guard at the rear. I have always assumed it is within the gas vent at the base of the tank, but never looked.
Odd but true.

Alan

Bussines as usual , perfect normal ....
But never the less very odd the first time you see the water draining like that from a brand new Cali....:D

Normal. The waste tank has a short drainage tube. After all it's only fresh water and the underside gets wet anyway.
The waste tank could be anything!

Hi all, thanks for the replies...that's what I wanted to know - namely, do I have a problem? I'll leave the dealer alone for now, then!
cheers

Hi all, thanks for the replies...that's what I wanted to know - namely, do I have a problem? I'll leave the dealer alone for now, then!
cheers

The "....i'll leave the dealer alone for now....." part , is definatly nominated as "Quote of the year"
:bananadance

I cut a small hole in undertray % Jammed a funnel between tank drain & the undertray. Tank drains properly now.

Sent from my SM-G900F

I cut a small hole in undertray % Jammed a funnel between tank drain & the undertray. Tank drains properly now.

Sent from my SM-G900F

I know its a while since you posted this but have you any pics? I'm not happy about the poor way the tank drains on a new T6.
Related to this I found it didn't drain well until I removed the filler cap - anyone else had this problem?
Chris

Nope sorry no pictures. Just remove the rear plastic under tray & cut a small round hole approximately below the water tank drain. Get a suitable size funnel & insert end into hole then refit under tray jamming the funnel in place.
Recommend running rear of cali up onto level ramps, if you have them, to give you more space under the back to work on it.

Yes draining faster with cap off is normal, one of the many quirks of the California !!

Nope sorry no pictures. Just remove the rear plastic under tray & cut a small round hole approximately below the water tank drain. Get a suitable size funnel & insert end into hole then refit under tray jamming the funnel in place.
Recommend running rear of cali up onto level ramps, if you have them, to give you more space under the back to work on it.

Yes draining faster with cap off is normal, one of the many quirks of the California !!

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you think it would be possible to have put any pipe onto the tank outlet ? I did that on the white whale we had in the past, it just made it easier for all the drains in one place.

Whatever the response it sounds like the pictures are down to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you think it would be possible to have put any pipe onto the tank outlet ? I did that on the white whale we had in the past, it just made it easier for all the drains in one place.

Of course it doesn't matter if you want to put a tube into the outlet. Can't see the point myself as it is only fresh water and at least the outlet is protected by the plastic undertray.
As far as the water tank emptying more quickly with the filler cap off - that's down to the physics of the system.
As the tank is rigid water can only drain out if air enters otherwise you create a vacuum in the tank. If you don't open the cap then water can only drain out of the drain if air enters via the drain, hence slow drainage. If Filler cap opens then air in through Filler and water through drain.

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as a putting a pipe on the outlet goes I don't really know. Depends where the actual drain valve is & how close to it the drain is. If you push a pipe up the drain you will be decreasing the diameter of the drain & slowing it down.

Bottom line is you will have to get down & dirty to suss it out.

Of course it doesn't matter if you want to put a tube into the outlet. Can't see the point myself as it is only fresh water and at least the outlet is protected by the plastic undertray.

To keep the tank safe and clean it needs regular sterilising. Sterilising tablets/liquid usually carry a warning avoid contact with metallic objects, which is why I don't want it getting onto parts of my Cali that I can't then clean which is why I want to be able to drain it without it contacting the bodywork.

I have just found Alfokla's post in a Water Tank thread, there is a great diagram showing how the bottom of the tank works, which makes Andy's funnel solution seem the best option.

To keep the tank safe and clean it needs regular sterilising. Sterilising tablets/liquid usually carry a warning avoid contact with metallic objects, which is why I don't want it getting onto parts of my Cali that I can't then clean which is why I want to be able to drain it without it contacting the bodywork.

I have just found Alfokla's post in a Water Tank thread, there is a great diagram showing how the bottom of the tank works, which makes Andy's funnel solution seem the best option.
I understand your reasons but fitting a funnel over the drain opening to supposedly protect the underside of the vehicle from the supposed corrosive properties of the sterilising solution does nothing to protect the water pump or drain valve of the water tank. At least the underside of the vehicle has been been treated against corrosion and painted.
If corrosion from sterilizing solutions is your only reason then using a treatment that does not have this capability would be a better option. :thumb

As for the 'regular sterilising' - how often is 'regular' - and what should it be sterilised with? I'm about to drain mine for the winter - should I sterilise it now, or wait till I start using it again?

As for the 'regular sterilising' - how often is 'regular' - and what should it be sterilised with? I'm about to drain mine for the winter - should I sterilise it now, or wait till I start using it again?
Either, but I tend to do it at the start of a new season, but then I use it during the winter. Just make sure you flush any sterilising solution out well after use. because it will remain on the pump and drain valve unless flushed well, or use something that doesn't cause any possibility of corrosion to metallic components.
I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J7QUKP8/?tag=eliteelect-21

Thanks. I've always just used bleach in my camping water container but of course that's all plastic. Think I'll leave the sterilising till spring when tap and pump will be in regular use again.

I will be using the van thru the winter but as it lives outside, better safe than sorry.

Just an aside - it's quite difficult to type with a kitten on your lap!

Back