Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh Water Tank Drain Valve

N

nottsknight

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Is it better to leave the drain valve open or closed when the van is not in use. I have heard that if you drain all the water from the tank the rubber seal at the base of the tank perishes. Conversely, if the water is left in during freezing conditions the tank will crack. Either way sounds a problem. Any ideas?

Interesting question. I have no idea, but I leave mine open, at present.

Could you not leave it a third full, with enough water to lubricate the seal and enough room for expansion if it freezes.

just a thought.

Granny tip # 49: To prevent bits freezing when not in use ensure vehicle is used all the time ....

There's some written in my sticky topic about that ....

When we got our van, it had hardly been used and I think the washer had dried and perished a little. I struggled to close it sufficiently to create a good seal, and I could find no way to replace the washer, (is there a known method???).
I just cranked it up with a spanner and left it!

Is it better to leave the drain valve open or closed when the van is not in use. I have heard that if you drain all the water from the tank the rubber seal at the base of the tank perishes. Conversely, if the water is left in during freezing conditions the tank will crack. Either way sounds a problem. Any ideas?
Had van for seven years I always leave valve fully open when not in use never had a problem.

Is there any sort of filter etc on the drain pipe?
Wouldn't want any creepy crawlies getting in the tank

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Is there any sort of filter etc on the drain pipe?
Wouldn't want any creepy crawlies getting in the tank

Sent from my Galaxy S6
Don't know but never had any problems. We only use the water for hot drinks and cooking.

Back