Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Water tank has a stopcock valve too?

JuJuJr_T4

JuJuJr_T4

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
My T4 drains all it's water as soon as I turn on the tap in the sink. The water drains from a smaller opening under the water tank, not the bigger drain. This only happens when the tap is turned on.

Is there a stopcock valve in the T4, too?? Or could it be something else. Bewildered.

I read the other thread about the T6's water tank but wasn't sure about the T4.

My T4 drains all it's water as soon as I turn on the tap in the sink. The water drains from a smaller opening under the water tank, not the bigger drain. This only happens when the tap is turned on.

Is there a stopcock valve in the T4, too?? Or could it be something else. Bewildered.

I read the other thread about the T6's water tank but wasn't sure about the T4.
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/parts_lst/...994/hg/0/catalog/vw/drive_standart/132/lang/e

If you scroll down, on the above link, then you will see an exploded diagram of the fresh water system. Unfortunately there are a number of systems depending on with California version you have.

Make sure the make / model and year of your van is clear, and @sidepod will be along soon to put you straight.

Make sure the make / model and year of your van is clear, and @sidepod will be along soon to put you straight.

Haha! Looking forward to it. It seems I have the California Coach, as mine has the grey/violet interior.

Had a look at the link sent by WelshGas. I don't see the valve where the water is coming out from in the illustration. It's on the bottom of the water tank near the front of it.

Also, my T4 doesn't have the drain lever in the kitchen cupboard, if that helps.

Haha! Looking forward to it. It seems I have the California Coach, as mine has the grey/violet interior.

Had a look at the link sent by WelshGas. I don't see the valve where the water is coming out from in the illustration. It's on the bottom of the water tank near the front of it.

Also, my T4 doesn't have the drain lever in the kitchen cupboard, if that helps.
Part 21

IMG_0379.PNG

So are you saying......you fill the tank and there are no leaks.

You turn on the tap and the entire contents drain from somewhere other than the main drain?

Does any water come out of the tap?

Is the main drain the screw cap up under the bumper at the rear?

It sounds as if the pipe connection from the tank is dodgy perhaps. This is at the front of the tank. Take everything out of the boot and you'll see it at the back on the right hand side.

So are you saying......you fill the tank and there are no leaks.

You turn on the tap and the entire contents drain from somewhere other than the main drain?

Does any water come out of the tap?

Is the main drain the screw cap up under the bumper at the rear?

Exactly! You've described it perfectly.

Filling it is totally fine. But...

When we turn on the tap, water comes out the tap but it also drains from a small drain valve about 30cm away from the main drain. When we turn off the tap, the water continues to drain until the tank is empty, of course.

Yes, the main drain is the screw up up under the bumper at the rear. That cap is on and doesn't leak.

The pipe connection being dodgy is a possibility and I will need to check. Not sure what to look for, though. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ok it does sound like the output connection from the tank is suspect.

I can't account for the draining other than some kind of air lock/voodoo stuff.

The output is at the forward end of the tank, low down.
There is a metal capping running across the rear of the boot floor housing the water pipe. At the right hand end you'll see the connection.

I'm not aware of any other drain from the tank?

Ok it does sound like the output connection from the tank is suspect.

I can't account for the draining other than some kind of air lock/voodoo stuff.

The output is at the forward end of the tank, low down.
There is a metal capping running across the rear of the boot floor housing the water pipe. At the right hand end you'll see the connection.

I'm not aware of any other drain from the tank?

Issue solved! It was in fact the valve, part 21, that was turned to the open position. It wasn't obvious because it is turned with a flathead screwdriver. But once I turned it to the right, the water no longer runs out. Happy!!

Thanks for all the help and support! Now onto the sink not draining and the fridge no longer cooling

I need to identify and find this water tank for my T4. Any help is appreciated

Do you mean where is the tank or where is the drain valve?

Depends on the age of your van. Earlier vans with the water tank on the right hand side of the boot, use a white plastic screw cap located underneath the van behind the bumper. Get down on your knees and look underneath the van below the tank. It’s easy to spot.

Later vans with tanks in the wardrobe have a drain valve lever cunningly hidden below a metal plate in the bottom of the rear cupboard.

Back