Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Tyres Germany

P

PeteS

Vehicle
N/A
Hi
I am going to Aachen in Germany next week and I have just seen that I may need Winter Tyres, or All Season Tyres or Snow Chains. It appears I only need them if the weather is bad. I did think about snow socks as I think the regulations only state you must not get stranded but I wonder if snow socks are acceptable. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice.

I would not consider going to Germany in winter without winter tyres. Winter tyres are mandatory in case of black ice, packed snow, slush, glaze and slippery frost. Given how the weather is at the moment, it is highly likely you will encounter winter conditions sometime on your trip.

Snow chains / socks are not acceptable. These are only really useful if you’re driving on packed snow in mountain regions anyway.

Note also that if you drive on summer tyres in winter conditions in Germany and have an accident, your insurance may be invalid!

The rule in Germany is anything under 5 degs you need winter or all-season tyres. If you have an accident, you will be liable and insurers will see it as your fault. I also think it is also a legal requirement over here (someone i think could correct me).

Of course, both give huge benefits in cold (or wintery) conditions and as a Brit who has lived here 16 years i converted long time ago and never regretted it. I cant believe i used to drive with Summer tyres tbh.

Actually depending on how bad the weather, i would also lean towards Winter tyres as opposed to All-Season. In Cologne, as we dont see much snow (unlike right now) but still always swapped over to Winter around Oct to April to be sure.

I think even for UK, it is a worth-while investment for peace of mind in the winter but as mentioned, you cannot drive in Germany with summer tyres.

Thanks for all the advice. I have just ordered a new set of tyres which will be fitted on Wednesday. I spoke the garage that do my tyres and stocks are very low I guess because the weather we are having in most of the UK.
Once again thank you for taking the time to reply

Excuse the dumb question - I have Michelin Crossclimates. There is a small snowflake on the tyre. Are these okay to use in the German winter?

Excuse the dumb question - I have Michelin Crossclimates. There is a small snowflake on the tyre. Are these okay to use in the German winter?
I believe so yes, but may not be as good as full winter tyres, so still drive with caution in conditions below 7degC for example. Cross Climates are a good compromise type of All Season tyre.

Yes. Obviously Winter tyres are best but ALL Season tyres with the snow symbol are a good compromise. I was in Norway last year. Winter was dragging its feet and I encountered snow, blizzards and ice storms with temperatures down to -9c. My Michelin CrossClimate tyres performed superbly. Traffic was light so I was able to take my time , but no problems.

I heard that the regulations were changing soon regarding winter tyres in Germany. That All Season tyres would no longer be acceptable and that ONLY proper Winter Tyres would be allowed in future.

Anyone else seen this ?

I heard that the regulations were changing soon regarding winter tyres in Germany. That All Season tyres would no longer be acceptable and that ONLY proper Winter Tyres would be allowed in future.

Anyone else seen this ?

I think its only those tyres marked "M+S" that are being no longer acceptable after Sept'24. if your tyres have "3 mountain peaks and a snowflake" symbol they will be ok. that's what a quick google search implied anyway...

i also found this interesting https://blog.atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/best-van-winter-tyres

Last edited:
That's why my MFD has a Winter Tyre Speed Limit alarm setting.
As does mine.

I didn't get into specifics as tyre technology moves on hence drawing attension to it being factor to check.
Germans used to fit studded tyres when I was there decades ago, no longer permitted.

Wrangler now do an AT3 in 235/55/17 103 to suit those that like the offroad 4x4 tyres.
3 Peak Snowflake symbol.

May have been mentioned but the only legal requirement is 3 peaks rated. They don't have to be dedicated winter tyres. So Michelin Crossclimates would be fine too.

Regarding winter tires there seems to be a lot of misinformation circulating, so I have quoted the legal requirements from the German ADAC, Germany’s AA equivalent, website, and translated them via Google:

> Winter tire requirements: When does it apply?
There is no general winter tire requirement in Germany, instead there is a situational requirement (§ 2 (3a) StVO). This means that in wintry road conditions, i.e. black ice, slippery snow, slush, ice or frost, you can only drive with winter tires. The rule of thumb from October to Easter is a rough guide, but has no legal relevance.
The situational winter tire requirement is considered to be fulfilled if winter tires are installed on all wheel positions, i.e. on all four wheels.

How do I recognize a winter tire?
Designation of winter tires. The abbreviation M+S stands for mud and snow.
Current winter tires can be recognized by the Alpine symbol, a mountain pictogram with a snowflake. In addition, tires with the M+S marking are considered suitable for winter until September 30, 2024 if they were manufactured by December 31, 2017.<

So, low temperature is not mentioned as a criterion. Only the road condition.

As has been said, the current definition of tyre that is conti-euro winter rated tyre (not Nordic) is the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol, 3PMSF.
This means a tyre with that symbol at least meets that standard and so also the law where that standard is referenced, e.g. Michelin Cross Climates or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons. This can mean gendarmes waving you through in they see your tyres are winter rated.

They may not be optimal in Winter, but All Season tyres have got so good in recent years that the best now outperform some dedicated winter tyres from a few years ago without being too compromised in other conditions.

As has been said, the current definition of tyre that is conti-euro winter rated tyre (not Nordic) is the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol, 3PMSF.
This means a tyre with that symbol at least meets that standard and so also the law where that standard is referenced, e.g. Michelin Cross Climates or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons. This can mean gendarmes waving you through in they see your tyres are winter rated.

They may not be optimal in Winter, but All Season tyres have got so good in recent years that the best now outperform some dedicated winter tyres from a few years ago without being too compromised in other conditions.

If you live in Northern Europe, makes sense to use a snowflake all season tyre all year round.
I’ve driven vehicles back to back in light snow and ice and the difference is night and day. Should be mandatory here from November to Easter…

I believe that from 30th September 2024 ALL SEASONs tyres (M+S Rated) will not be valid for winter use in Germany.

I believe that from 30th September 2024 ALL SEASONs tyres (M+S Rated) will not be valid for winter use in Germany.
It's because there's no standard for what M&S means. It's 3PMSF (most good All Seasons meet this) or nothing.

Back