Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which extras/options are a must have?

R

Rich Corrado

Which extras would you say are essential?
I am currently looking for a black auto(which don't seem to exist) but I'm starting to wonder about the extras?..
Which extras would you say are a must have?
I have test driven a black manual that has loads of extras but I'm trying to work out if they really make the Cali worth more?

Rich Corrado said:
Which extras would you say are essential?
I am currently looking for a black auto(which don't seem to exist) but I'm starting to wonder about the extras?..
Which extras would you say are a must have?
I have test driven a black manual that has loads of extras but I'm trying to work out if they really make the Cali worth more?

Extras generally don't make a Cali worth any more because for every person that for example, like me, who says, Climtronic is a must... An equal number will say they can live without it.

It's not just the extras but also the look - so wheels - Sportline spoiler - rear spoiler lowering etc. It really depends what you want. I can only give a personal opinion. I think if you do a search on here you will find this topic well covered :)

James

Standard 'must haves' seem to be

Awning
Parking sensors
Privacy Glass

James is 100% right. For some people some thing are must have's and for some other they seem useless.

For example, I would also agree that climatronic is amazing and that I would be quite disappointed to have to do without it, but i have absolutely no use of an awning, I fond that the privacy glass from VW is in no way dark enough so not useful to have "privacy", I have the parking sensors with the pictures on the RCD 310 and I wouldn't be as confident parking the van without it... I like having an extra sliding window on the opposite side to create a draft when it's hot. I could do without the steering wheel buttons etc.

i think the cleverest 'speccing' is that which suits you but when you come to sell will help sell your vehicle more quickly and not divide opinion.

You don't get your money back for extras so it is a careful balance. TBH I'd just get a reasonable spec you are happy with and enjoy it. Again you can't be too picky unless you are prepared to wait and it could be a long wait.

James

I think my "want list" looks like this.
Black
Auto
2/3 years old
Front/rear climate control,
Side awning
Parking sensors
Bike rack
Privacy glass (but agree with the early comment about it not being dark enough)
Side bars
Roof bars
Multi function steering wheel,
Seat liners

Anything else would be a bonus but is there anything that I have missed?

The Cali I drove the other day had lane change assist, I don't get understand this???? Can't you just check your blind spot?

We just went for the things that are impossible or hard to add later.

Colour
Engine/Gearbox
Parking
Privacy
Awning
MFSW
3 Zone Clima - if that is important to you, we have it but after the novelty wore off it is rarely used.

Clearly if buying second hand age and mileage are hard to change :)

Obviously seat covers, roof bars and bike racks can be added later. There are also some after market side bars that just bolt on.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

teeboy said:
We just went for the things that are impossible or hard to add later.

Colour
Engine/Gearbox
Parking
Privacy
Awning
MFSW
3 Zone Clima - if that is important to you, we have it but after the novelty wore off it is rarely used.

Well for us, as we travel with a toddler, it's pretty nice to set a different temperature in the back as is easier than to take the baby out of the seat and add/remove clothes :mrgreen:

The awning can't be that hard to add later (?)

I would add cruise control for the longer stretches to and from your holiday region. And a set of winter tyres.

bvddobb said:
I would add cruise control for the longer stretches to and from your holiday region. And a set of winter tyres.

I thought cruise was standard on the SE? If not then yes I would want cruise.

People get very hung up on options these days in anything from a small car to a big camper.

The Cali is well specced with no options IMO and nothing is essential but the nice to haves I reckon are:

Privacy Glass
Awning
Climate control (if you have kids)
Some sort of satnav

And the extra bits we needed afterwards were:

A pop top roof cover (heavy weather soaks the canvas)
Seat covers (FOC with the van)
Bumper protector (almost essential if you have a dog!)
Middle area carpet.

We have most options on ours but while many are nice to have, few are what I'd called essential.

Tinted glass is really useful. As previously mentioned a standard tinted glass on the California still allows a potential thief to see what is inside. We had an additional tinted film put on the inside of the glass which works really well. We had a choice of tint and went for the medium. It is not possible to see what is inside, but is good looking out.

Bruce, could you tell me where you got the additional tinted window film from?
Thanks,
Phil