Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What you listening to in your cali?

Anything, I just stick my old iPod Classic on shuffle mode, about 100 gB of various genre music (and skip the ones I don't like).

Have a look at this dedicated Campervan Music site, there's a catchy one - Campervan Driver (sounds like Paperback Writer) :D

Ok...someone mentioned serious....so let's get serious ;)

I have to say, when it comes to music, it's something me and Mrs Lowman take very seriously indeed. We'd even have to suggest that having the right music with us for a Camping trip is possibly the 'Number 1' essential when packing...even over Diesel in the tank!

The fact is, it was music that led to our current position as Cali owners. It's proved the perfect vehicle to support our ongoing music obsession and related adventures, up and down the country. Whilst we retain a healthy respect for music that's gone before, we're particularly passionate about new music, and by that we mean the 'good stuff' (see earlier reply).

So in the interest of restoring some 21st century balance, we thought we'd share with you some of the music/albums that's been keeping us company this year. Who knows, maybe one of them may find their way into your hearts at some point. So here goes:

"Under The Sun" - Mark Pritchard
Beautiful, ambient, electronic soundscapes. We listened to this whilst watching Brian Eno project a multicoloured Kaleidoscope onto the Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank, from the top bunk of our Cali! A summer highlight.

"Post Pop Depression" - Iggy Pop
A real return to form for James Newell Osterberg. Reminiscent of the glory days of 'The Idiot' and 'Lust For Life'. We caught Iggy at the Albert Hall earlier this year. We stayed over at the Abbeywood Caravan Club site. We've had many, many nights in London, but this was our first accompanied by an overnight stay in a VW. A fantastic evening.

"Atomic" - Mogwai
An incredibly moving album soundtracking Mark Cousins documentary 'Atomic: Living in Dread and Promise'. Essentially a documentary discussing Hopes and Fears following Hiroshima. It's more uplifting than it sounds. We were parked up on the Norfolk coastline listening to this, under the most astonishing star filled sky we've ever witnessed. Breathtaking. And a real sense of our own relative significance.

"Good Luck and Do Your Best" - Gold Panda
We've been huge fans of Gold Panda for the last few years. His lo-fi, techno has accompanied many of our journeys, so it's been no surprise to us that his latest album has been a pretty much permanent resident on our Cali-journey playlist since it's release.

"Crab Day" - Cate Le Bon
Think The Velvet's Nico with a post-punk vibe. We were recently at the Green Man festival where we made Cate Le Bon 'must see' act. We weren't disappointed. She was outstanding.

"A Weird Exits" - Thee Oh Sees
One of the most exciting live bands out there at the moment. A whirlwind of garage, punk and pop. Plus they have two drummers...what's not to like! We drove up to Leeds, only last week, to catch them, then stayed over at our friends, parked on his drive. The joys of Cali ownership!

"Barbara, Barbara, We Face a Shining Future" - Underworld
Underworld are one of our favourite bands, and this is right up there with some of the best things they've done. A joyous celebration of the human spirit from start to finish. We caught them this year at the BlueDot festival (again using our Cali as our hotel). They had 7,000 of us dancing in a field. From 4 year olds, to 80 year olds. It rained...hard...during their set, but everyone kept on dancing. So much so, the rain gave in, and it turned into a beautiful evening!

"Blackstar" - David Bowie
I saved this until last. A huge tear appeared in the universe on January 10th 2016. Just writing this makes me realise we're not over it as yet. Listening back to this, based on what we now know, it's hard not to consider this as anything other than one of the greatest Art statements of all time. We've listened to this periodically on our trips this year. Usually it's been accompanied by debate, trying to unlock what we see as hidden meanings. The Elvis references, the cult of celebrity etc. etc. Unsurprisingly, this has been our album of the year, and I imagine will remain on our playlist for some years to come.

I could go on, and on (you may think I already have done).
You may also be think a) what a music nerd and b) what a music snob. In which case, all I can say is...well done..correct on both counts :thumb

But if this post maybe helps one of the above find its way onto your Cali playlists for the remainder of the year, I'll feel I've done my job.

As Gene Wilder once said...."We are the Music Makers, and We are the Dreamers of Dreams"

Always got my old rotating-disc ipod: Music, Audiobooks. Sometimes Jack Johnson is playing the guitar then Iron Maiden is fighting the beast or Bastille is playing his flaws.
We often listen to music while driving and stop when we arrive at the pitch. Never felt the need of some speakers bigger than the earphones (athough there are so many cool BT speakers around :))

Always got my old rotating-disc ipod: Music, Audiobooks. Sometimes Jack Johnson is playing the guitar then Iron Maiden is fighting the beast or Bastille is playing his flaws.
We often listen to music while driving and stop when we arrive at the pitch. Never felt the need of some speakers bigger than the earphones (athough there are so many cool BT speakers around :))
Up Up and away in my beautiful cali.Would you like to fly in my beautiful cali we can search the star together you and i o we can fly.

Last edited:
I am currently listening to the very best of Tangerine dream and getting terribly nostalgic :(

I am currently listening to the very best of Tangerine dream and getting terribly nostalgic :(

Oh lovely stuff. Tangerine Dream, Neu, Faust, Kraftwerk. Was lucky enough to catch Michael Rother at this years GreenMan Festival. Superb!
If you like your Kosmische Musik, I can heartily recommend the Caverns Of Anti-Matter release from this year. Might be right up your street :)

Blimey, never heard of most of this stuff. Must REALLY be an old fossil! :D

Silver Machine, Hawkwind. (Even though I've got a grey Cali).

Blimey, never heard of most of this stuff. Must REALLY be an old fossil! :D

Most definitely not! Grow old disgracefully. That's our motto. But the thrill of discovering new music is a real thrill, and Cali road trips give us plenty of time to explore. Dip your toe in the water. It's life enhancing...I promise you ;)

Old fossil referred to me! :D Will listen out for your recommendations :thumb

I find Led Zeppelin (Mothership) and Deep Purple (Made in Japan) are the perfect pick me up when your starting to reach the end of the day's drive. To chill on site, some Massive Attack and the soundtrack to Inception.

I find a bit of Xavier Rudd really good. He's an Australian multi instrumentalist and really talented.

+ several thousand for geno Washington. Saw him at the blues kitchen in Shoreditch earlier this year. Great venue for the band and Geno. First time we'd seen him since the late 60s.

Absolutely briiliant live. In fact I think the album Geno Washington live was the highest selling LP in 68 or 69.

He's on again later this year at the blues kitchen, so if you can get there do go.

+ several thousand for geno Washington. Saw him at the blues kitchen in Shoreditch earlier this year. Great venue for the band and Geno. First time we'd seen him since the late 60s.

Absolutely briiliant live. In fact I think the album Geno Washington live was the highest selling LP in 68 or 69.

He's on again later this year at the blues kitchen, so if you can get there do go.

Thanks Bramco, might just do that. Saw him in Lichfield a few years ago, previously a number of times at the Twisted Wheel in Manchester in the 60s. At least I think it was him, so much funny smoke about it was difficult to concentrate.:eek::happy

Ok...someone mentioned serious....so let's get serious ;)

I have to say, when it comes to music, it's something me and Mrs Lowman take very seriously indeed. We'd even have to suggest that having the right music with us for a Camping trip is possibly the 'Number 1' essential when packing...even over Diesel in the tank!

The fact is, it was music that led to our current position as Cali owners. It's proved the perfect vehicle to support our ongoing music obsession and related adventures, up and down the country. Whilst we retain a healthy respect for music that's gone before, we're particularly passionate about new music, and by that we mean the 'good stuff' (see earlier reply).

So in the interest of restoring some 21st century balance, we thought we'd share with you some of the music/albums that's been keeping us company this year. Who knows, maybe one of them may find their way into your hearts at some point. So here goes:

"Under The Sun" - Mark Pritchard
Beautiful, ambient, electronic soundscapes. We listened to this whilst watching Brian Eno project a multicoloured Kaleidoscope onto the Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank, from the top bunk of our Cali! A summer highlight.

"Post Pop Depression" - Iggy Pop
A real return to form for James Newell Osterberg. Reminiscent of the glory days of 'The Idiot' and 'Lust For Life'. We caught Iggy at the Albert Hall earlier this year. We stayed over at the Abbeywood Caravan Club site. We've had many, many nights in London, but this was our first accompanied by an overnight stay in a VW. A fantastic evening.

"Atomic" - Mogwai
An incredibly moving album soundtracking Mark Cousins documentary 'Atomic: Living in Dread and Promise'. Essentially a documentary discussing Hopes and Fears following Hiroshima. It's more uplifting than it sounds. We were parked up on the Norfolk coastline listening to this, under the most astonishing star filled sky we've ever witnessed. Breathtaking. And a real sense of our own relative significance.

"Good Luck and Do Your Best" - Gold Panda
We've been huge fans of Gold Panda for the last few years. His lo-fi, techno has accompanied many of our journeys, so it's been no surprise to us that his latest album has been a pretty much permanent resident on our Cali-journey playlist since it's release.

"Crab Day" - Cate Le Bon
Think The Velvet's Nico with a post-punk vibe. We were recently at the Green Man festival where we made Cate Le Bon 'must see' act. We weren't disappointed. She was outstanding.

"A Weird Exits" - Thee Oh Sees
One of the most exciting live bands out there at the moment. A whirlwind of garage, punk and pop. Plus they have two drummers...what's not to like! We drove up to Leeds, only last week, to catch them, then stayed over at our friends, parked on his drive. The joys of Cali ownership!

"Barbara, Barbara, We Face a Shining Future" - Underworld
Underworld are one of our favourite bands, and this is right up there with some of the best things they've done. A joyous celebration of the human spirit from start to finish. We caught them this year at the BlueDot festival (again using our Cali as our hotel). They had 7,000 of us dancing in a field. From 4 year olds, to 80 year olds. It rained...hard...during their set, but everyone kept on dancing. So much so, the rain gave in, and it turned into a beautiful evening!

"Blackstar" - David Bowie
I saved this until last. A huge tear appeared in the universe on January 10th 2016. Just writing this makes me realise we're not over it as yet. Listening back to this, based on what we now know, it's hard not to consider this as anything other than one of the greatest Art statements of all time. We've listened to this periodically on our trips this year. Usually it's been accompanied by debate, trying to unlock what we see as hidden meanings. The Elvis references, the cult of celebrity etc. etc. Unsurprisingly, this has been our album of the year, and I imagine will remain on our playlist for some years to come.

I could go on, and on (you may think I already have done).
You may also be think a) what a music nerd and b) what a music snob. In which case, all I can say is...well done..correct on both counts :thumb

But if this post maybe helps one of the above find its way onto your Cali playlists for the remainder of the year, I'll feel I've done my job.

As Gene Wilder once said...."We are the Music Makers, and We are the Dreamers of Dreams"

Lowman, thanks for the music tips, we're working our way through them. I think we stopped listening to new stuff when we went through the 20 year bringing up the children hiatus so it's good to get a fresh perspective.

Lowman, thanks for the music tips, we're working our way through them. I think we stopped listening to new stuff when we went through the 20 year bringing up the children hiatus so it's good to get a fresh perspective.

Hey it's my pleasure. Hope you find something you fall in love with :)

plenty of music in my Cali
Some of my favourites..
Ben Howard tops the list over the last few years,,I never get bored of listening to him.last few albums are awsome old pine is a camper tune if there ever was one..
Among many more.
Also a few nice chilled Ibiza albums
Ministry of sound
Cafe del mar
Turin brakes
The charlatans
Stone roses
IAN brown
David grey
Stereophonics
Hendrix
The beat
I could go on forever
Tunes bring back many awsome memories in the camper,,camping with family,friends, good beers good times :)

BBC 6 music.

+ 100´s of artists too many to name, all of yours
are in there :thumb no eagles though.
Cafe del mar 1 and 2, didn´t bother after that.
You could pitch up next to me anytime with them
tunes pumping.

Thanks for that but it was 4 years ago that started
BBC 6 music.

+ 100´s of artists too many to name, all of yours
are in there :thumb no eagles though.
Cafe del mar 1 and 2, didn´t bother after that.
You could pitch up next to me anytime with them
tunes pumping.
never tried bbc 6 I must of missed that
I’ll be checking it out for sure..cheers:)

I like to listen to audi books for example the three investigators or local radio.

It´s a must for you with your mentioned artists,
but be aware,
it will cost quite a bit each week buying all of the new music
that is out there.

Back