Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What you listening to in your cali?

cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
California Dreamin' is a great great sound.

But is Dylan's "I want you" even better??

As mine says on the back "Hotel California" one of mine all time favorite songs from The Eagels!
Actully my all time favorite song is "in the air tonight" from Phil Collins but the Cali has no wings :mrgreen: and that song goes about a whole different story.... :shocked
Especialy the part in hotel california that goes : "...you can check out any time you want , but you can never leave..." Says it all about the Cali ! :D

It is a legal requirement to play the following tunes on Betty Bus road trips...

Grateful Dead's Truckin',
Metallica's cover of Seager's Turn the Page
RHCP's Road Trippin'

The Mrs still insists on starting every trip with Kludo White's Campervan Driver.

Anything by Train. The right sort of road-trippy sound, and forever on the radio when we were last in France. And they have an Eagle-y west coast sound, which can't be bad.

Alternatively, whatever's on Nostalgie.

Katy Perry's 'California Gurls' is the favourite camper van-themed song among the females in our van. But it has to be Joni Mitchell's 'California' for me ... except I don't get away with playing it when others are listening :sad.

Many other good California and camper van tunes here: http://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/09/10 ... -playlist/

Anything loud to cover up that horrible engine noise :headbang :lol:

Only one song - Going Mobile by The Who. There's a verse for everyone.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5pi3UR5dY

I'm goin' home
And when I wanna go home
I'm goin' mobile
Well, I'm gonna find a home
And we'll see how it feels
Goin' mobile
Keep me movin'

I can pull up by the kerb
I can make it on the road
Goin' mobile
I can stop in any street
Invite in people that we meet
Goin' mobile
Keep me movin'

Out in the woods
Or in the city
It's all the same to me
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my
Home
When I'm mobile

Hee, hoo!
beep beep!

Play the tape machine
Make the toast and tea
When I'm mobile
Well I can lay in bed
With only highway ahead
When I'm mobile
Keep me movin'

Keep me movin'
Over 50
Keep me groovin'
Just a hippie gypsy

Come on move now
Movin'
Keep me movin', yeah

Keep me movin', groovin', groovin',
Yeah
Movin', Yeah
Mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, ...

I don't care about pollution
I'm an air-conditioned gypsy
That's my solution
Watch the police and the tax man miss
Me
I'm mobile
Oooooh, yeah, hee!

Mobile, mobile, mobile yeah

............and of course there is 'Magic Bus'

magic bus.jpg

The best in my opinion to play in a Cali Beach is Porcelain by Moby(music from the film 'The Beach') it sounds great when sitting on a white palm tree lined beach in the Maldives and sounds even better when driving my Beach on the open road If that's possible in Britain!!!! :cool

I think to cheer us up the beeb should broadcast a list of those rock stars from the 70s (and maybe even 60s!) who are still alive and thriving!

Obviously listened through Bluetooth headphones when camping.
1) Live at Leeds, The Who, Magic Bus
2) Led Zeppelin, Rock & Roll, plus almost anything else they played. Remember listening live to The Yardbirds at Eel Pie Island pre LZ in the late 60's
3) The Eagles HC if feeling melancholy
4) Anything Lynard Skynard (they died too young)
5) Peter Frampton ( live "if you feel like i do"
6) Gustov Holst The Planets
7) César Franck Symphony in D ( feeling very melancholy)

Mark Forums Read

Puff The Magic Dragon would capture the V-dub vibe IMO.

And, to keep the Eagles/HC link, any of Don Henley's songs/albums but especially Inside Job (2000) which carries forward the protest-movement and metaphysical landscapes themes of the later Eagles. </pretentious-face/>.

As the late great Duke Ellington once pointed out.
"There's are simply two kinds of music....good music and the other kind".
As long as I'm surrounded by the good stuff, I'm a happy camper :cool:

London symphonic ....... sibelius, Karelia suite...... the best thing to come out of Finland before Nokia and savusilakka

Failing that....

Pink floyd and Prodigy

I have mellowed in my old age, gone are the days of Nine Inch Nails and alternative music.

Now there is nothing I love more in the van than a couple of Passenger albums. :) Led Zepp is always good though ;)

In this topic we where questioning the ultimate Cali sound(track)
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/best-sound-for-cali.5442/#post-47250

@Velma's Dad ,the Eagles with Hotel California is for me the top (read my underwriting ) , i specialy like the live version on videoclip , back in the days on MTV ( when they where playing music!) i even recorded that clip on my VHS video!:confused:
Hard to explain to the youngsters now a days....
Henley also got some great solo songs...the boys of summer is one of my favorits ....and New York minute
Need to get my CD's back out! And some of my vinyl's!

OH , and everything by Genesis!

....and an other great (rock)singer from canada hidden under my avatar i like also !? Bryan Adams

Last edited:
and New York minute

It's always struck me as poignant that he wrote that song (about how the ones you love can be snatched out of your life, in a moment) just a couple of years before 9/11. Probably MUCH too poignant in fact for holiday listening, but still I agree it is a truly great song.

Yes anything by Genesis for sure, and I guess for us on the Cali forum it would have to be The Lawnmower Song (I Know What I Like, And I Like What I Know). ;)

But seriously, for my last Cali trip on Earth it would have to be Louis Armstrong: We Have All The Time In The World and What A Wonderful World.

Back