Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We are selling up!

CaliforniaBen

CaliforniaBen

VIP Member
As much as we love our Cali we are finding it very restricting in winter and bad weather( which we have our fair share of in the UK) . Before Xmas we hired a small 4 berth motorhome and it was so nice to have our own bathroom, even small things like having an oven was a real luxury not to mention having hot running water. I realise there are pro's and cons with both the Cali and motorhomes but on our tick box list the motorhome is winning by 75% to 25% ! In reading other threads, the reason people are put of by motorhomes is they don't get much use however we do camp A LOT and we think by having a small MH will extend our season in a big way.

Allright, be sure to keep right, or left, sorry, when overtaken by a long line of Californias :)

We have had 2 small motor homes and now our Cali. As you say there are definitely pros and cons. The bathroom in a mhome is obviously a plus, even if just to hang wet coats and the beds might be easier to make up. There is usually more worktop than a Cali, but both of our ovens were fairly poor and l wouldn't have trusted them with chicken or sausages. We thought there were three major downsides for us. Firstly the doors on both models were narrow and loading bulky stuff like bedding was a pain, especially if you were doing it alone. Secondly but crucially for us, 2.22m wide is still too wide to drive in a carefree manner down our Cumbrian lanes. Lastly although our last mhome had the new fiat engine which was more than ample for the weight of the mhome it lacked the speed of the Cali ( and it was noisy in the cab).Despite these downsides I think mhomes are great if you have plenty of time to pack them and take your time with the journey.

Good luck. Cali's are great, but not the answer for everyone. Enjoy all your new space (and all for no increase in pitch fees!). Bung some bikes on the back for cycling to the shops for supplies.

Best Wishes with the move to a motorhome not for us but for a lot of people. If we need more facilities would look at a LWB VW

Do what you feel best with , bet you gonna have great trips in your MH.
Afther all it all comes down on what your wants and needs are...not just the type of verhicle.
Is the Cali sold yet ? Bet there is some interst on the forum....

Best Wishes with the move to a motorhome not for us but for a lot of people. If we need more facilities would look at a LWB VW

Exactly why ours is not a Cali but a LWB Hightop T5. It's got extra space, lots of speed (it's a 180) wide door, sliding seat/bed so doubles as a good load carrier and best of all it's still a VW.

Rod

(Just a contribution for others. Not trying to change the OP's mind!)

You can squeeze more in a Cali (LWB and high top) as this photo of my layout shows
kitch.jpg
which sits behind a more compact lounge. That's a loo and sink behind the door on the right.
The areas are tight, but distinct, so the loo can be used whilst someone cooks, whist others play cards at the table.
Only as wide as a Cali, It's a foot or so longer but 2.7m high. No boot space either but loads of cupboards.

I know for some it's the worst of both worlds....too big to use everyday, inflexible layout for tip runs, not as big as a motorhome, BUT it still fits down narrow lanes, is still a VW, nice and snug on winter nights etc etc.

I sometimes wonder if I should have something bigger (as it sits there waiting for holidays and highdays) but I like the 'pros' outlined above, and anything any bigger would have to be stored away from home, whereas this fits in the drive.

As much as we love our Cali we are finding it very restricting in winter and bad weather( which we have our fair share of in the UK) . Before Xmas we hired a small 4 berth motorhome and it was so nice to have our own bathroom, even small things like having an oven was a real luxury not to mention having hot running water. I realise there are pro's and cons with both the Cali and motorhomes but on our tick box list the motorhome is winning by 75% to 25% ! In reading other threads, the reason people are put of by motorhomes is they don't get much use however we do camp A LOT and we think by having a small MH will extend our season in a big way.
I don't blame you, we have a motorhome dealer close by and it's very tempting looking at the offerings. Particularly when you see what you can get for quite a lot less than a VW California.

We still miss our Knaus Sport Ti, it had a rear "garage" we kept the bikes in (they stayed in there all the time, now they clutter the garage up), and the wet gear went in there and dried quickly as the boiler was in there too.

Tambour doors made a big shower and wash area, and the bed was always made! Large fridge & proper sink with hot water ....

The new Fiat/Peugeots are nice looking vans too. I notice that generally you get quite a lot more for your money on the coachbuilts than the panel van conversions, but we like the large opening sliding doors on the vans.

Good luck and enjoy your new vehicle. You have to do what suits you.

Make sure your SatNav is set to HGV mode.

That was the biggest worry expressed by the Motorhome owners we met at the CC site at Crystal People, London. Driving in London or any big city. The number that drove all around the M25 rather than a more direct route was amazing.
Have fun. Personally I seem to spend more time in the California in Autumn, Winter and Spring rather than Summer. Prefer the garden then.

Always thought the Doubleback from Danbury looked a great all round proposition. Agility and drive of a T5/6 but with the extending pod although it seems no longer on sale. Not sure what's happened to it. Enjoy the motor home and think of us poor Cali owners as you spend a penny in heated comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I could concentrate on either cooking or cards while someone uses the toilet so near but then perhaps I'm a bit over sensitive

I can certainly see the attraction of a motorhome in bad weather, on board toilet would be a big luxury for us as we HATE using our porta potti in the van. I guess a MH is a natural progression that we will all end up going to at some point.

Not sure I could concentrate on either cooking or cards while someone uses the toilet so near but then perhaps I'm a bit over sensitive
Even nearer in a Cali! :D

Edit: I mean a T5 Cali ... :)

(Just a contribution for others. Not trying to change the OP's mind!)

You can squeeze more in a Cali (LWB and high top) as this photo of my layout shows
View attachment 11280
which sits behind a more compact lounge. That's a loo and sink behind the door on the right.
The areas are tight, but distinct, so the loo can be used whilst someone cooks, whist others play cards at the table.
Only as wide as a Cali, It's a foot or so longer but 2.7m high. No boot space either but loads of cupboards.

I know for some it's the worst of both worlds....too big to use everyday, inflexible layout for tip runs, not as big as a motorhome, BUT it still fits down narrow lanes, is still a VW, nice and snug on winter nights etc etc.

I sometimes wonder if I should have something bigger (as it sits there waiting for holidays and highdays) but I like the 'pros' outlined above, and anything any bigger would have to be stored away from home, whereas this fits in the drive.
Looks really good layout, separate loo, I can see why you like it.

But where do you sleep?

Looks really good layout, separate loo, I can see why you like it.

But where do you sleep?
I tend to sleep on the upstairs bed, which just pulls out from the front towards the rear.
The rock and roll bed is in front of the kitchen unit, and operates just like the T5,except your feet go under the gas cooker. You also need to turn the front seats back to forward, push them all the way forward, then lean the backs forward, which amounts to a bit of a faff!
But you can still use the kitchen and bathroom with both beds deployed.

We'll it's behind a fully enclosed solid door,and has an opening window ;)

In all seriousness, if using a fixed loo in a separate compartment behind a proper door causes you a problem, then you can write-off doing any wild camping in a T5 Cali!

I use a toilet tent and Popaloo pitched next to the California on a campsite. The day I can't get out of the California to use it then that's the day I'll stop driving, let alone swapping to a Motorhome .

As usual when someone suggests leaving the Cali fold, the forum suddenly turns very sensitive.
There is no need to defend your choices, and no need to attack other's.
I don't think anyone has been discourteous to the original poster, who has been an owner for 7 months . He has his reasons. Most of the other posts have been in relation to on board toilets, started in fact by one of your posts.
The original poster is obviously not into the California lifestyle. That's his choice, but to trumpet the virtues of a Motorhome on this Forum is a bit rich and so comments are to be expected.

but to trumpet the virtues of a Motorhome on this Forum is a bit rich and so comments are to be expected.
Why? Are you not confident enough in your own choice to allow the OP the same courtesy?

To be honest if I had unlimited funds I would have a Cali, a motorhome and a caravan as they all have their own merits and I'd pick the right one depending on what sort of a trip I was planning. Pros and cons to all three.

Wouldn't mind one of those Eriba pop top caravans to tow behind the Cali, I think they're cute :)

But we would be doubling up on everything except the loo. So maybe we could just tow a Portaloo along ....

Back