Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Was all set on changing from T6 Beach to Grand California 600, but these are issues

Trouble with small kids is they grow in to teenagers very quickly, what happens then?
Not knocking the VW but if it was available as a poptop it would have achieved higher sales.
To be honest 1 agm battery is substandard in a family van with a compressor fridge, diesel heating and teenagers charging various devises.
Ok if you plan to camp on EHU but it limits camping options.
My van was supplied with two 100ah agm batteries and 200watts of solar which I assumed to be adequate. How wrong was I , 2 1/2 days into a wet and cold lake district NT site with no availability of EHU batteries were dangerous low.
Compressor fridge and diesel heating eat power, they are the best options but only if you have power.
Only solved by lithium.

I have no idea, why anyone would buy a bigger van, to go through the trouble of setting up a cab bunk every night…???

Grand Cali with a decent Poptop roof, like the Hymer, would’ve been a show stopper.

Sticking anything other than toddlers in the roof of a GC, would probably amount to some form of child abuse.
As far as I’m concerned, if it’s not good enough for me, it’s not good enough for anyone…

Trouble with small kids is they grow in to teenagers very quickly, what happens then?
Not knocking the VW but if it was available as a poptop it would have achieved higher sales.
To be honest 1 agm battery is substandard in a family van with a compressor fridge, diesel heating and teenagers charging various devises.
Ok if you plan to camp on EHU but it limits camping options.
My van was supplied with two 100ah agm batteries and 200watts of solar which I assumed to be adequate. How wrong was I , 2 1/2 days into a wet and cold lake district NT site with no availability of EHU batteries were dangerous low.
Compressor fridge and diesel heating eat power, they are the best options but only if you have power.
Only solved by lithium.

Re: small kids growing, depends how long you intend keeping the van. Small kids grow in to teenagers in about ten years, in my experience. Not that quick

On battery, depends on the use case. I travelled for four days through France, Germany, Austria, no hook up, solar doing its thing and one battery has been fine.
When I stay more than two or three nights in one place I'm invariably on hook up.

The van is not right for you personally. Doesn't mean it's not the best option for other people.

No disrespect to anyone but seriously, having to use a cab bunk just about sums up the inadequate design of the 600.
Whereas the T series California is the gold standard in the small camper world the Grand 600 with roof bed is bottom of the class. A design that should of been the leader of the pack is compromised in so many areas, a van that lacks solar, battery capacity and off grid ability.
I loved my Cali and really wanted to love the 600 but the competition is better.
Solar is, of course, an option ........

So it might not suite you, but to me the GC 600 is possibly one of the best vans out there for 2 adults + two small children.
It only lacks solar if you didn't tick the option & even if you did further GC specific panels are available to make the most of the whole roof space.
Off grid ability - most people are not actually bothered about off grid ability, as long as the fridge works whilst you are out for the day or in transit thats all that matters.

Most mainstream new motorhomes have 1 leisure battery & no solar, it tends only to be those low volume targeted at the shall we say the more adventurous campers that have more.
I am sure that people buying a van instead of a regular camper will be more off grid requiring more capacity.

I am sure that people buying a van instead of a regular camper will be more off grid requiring more capacity.
Why?
People buy a van for a number of reasons - because they are better & easier to drive, safer, stronger, don't fall apart with damp etc etc.

What are the requirements for “off grid living”? My understanding is more often than not people who want to be off grid don’t typically stay in one spot for too long. The toilet will be the limiting factor I’m sure, it soon fills up if you don’t have any other facilities.
People seem somewhat obsessed with electrical requirements and feel the need to be able to possibly very occasionally live “off grid”.

Genuinely interested to know what people’s interpretation of off grid living is, and what the requirements are.

What are the requirements for “off grid living”? My understanding is more often than not people who want to be off grid don’t typically stay in one spot for too long. The toilet will be the limiting factor I’m sure, it soon fills up if you don’t have any other facilities.
People seem somewhat obsessed with electrical requirements and feel the need to be able to possibly very occasionally live “off grid”.

Genuinely interested to know what people’s interpretation of off grid living is, and what the requirements are.

3 days is a maximum for us.
It’s at that point the cassette needs emptying and we need some space to stretch out…
Agree, power is over-estimated for most people.

Back