Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Was all set on changing from T6 Beach to Grand California 600, but these are issues

Would love some photos of your Grand Canyon, its a dream vehicle.
In the configurator I dont see such a big difference between Grand Canyon and 600 S Free price wice.

Is the Grand California designed for Grandparents with grandchildren under 10?
The normal California for families?

I am not sure what is in VW designers heads, why hot extend the upper bed to the same lenght on both beds, would have solved it like on Knus boxdrive.

Amazing!! Hymer should hire you to do their product photos and homepage. Their homepage lacks information at the xtreme. Thank you very much.

There was a price hike from 890.000 SEK to 1.250.000 on a base model Grand Canyon S yesterday on the Swedish market which is a bit overboard for me at the moment :)

We had a HymerCar 540 with the poptop…….. it reduced the headroom in the cabin and made ventilation in the loo/shower room tricky as no overhead roof vents. Also had no end of mould issues in the space between the roof and the bed. Sister in law had the more recent version and had the same grief……. So bad they traded it for a Wildax………

(a separate and personal rant…… who at Hymer ever thought that lining the shower cubicle ceiling with fabric could ever be a good idea ?!)

We had a HymerCar 540 with the poptop…….. it reduced the headroom in the cabin and made ventilation in the loo/shower room tricky as no overhead roof vents. Also had no end of mould issues in the space between the roof and the bed. Sister in law had the more recent version and had the same grief……. So bad they traded it for a Wildax………

(a separate and personal rant…… who at Hymer ever thought that lining the shower cubicle ceiling with fabric could ever be a good idea ?!)
We have a 2022 Hymer Free S 600 (see photos that I uploaded earlier) and there is no fabric in the bathroom. There is a window in the bathroom also, we also have the pop top. We have had zero mould issues so far after a year of owning it.

IMG_2308.jpeg

Grand canyon S, three years no mould whatsoever.
Mould is caused by incorrect use.
Bathroom window should be used as a vent.
Poptop should be aired once a month.
If poptop is closed damp it should be dried at earliest convenience.
Poptop aluminum ladder and bedding should not be left in place over the winter.
When in use damp hand towels should be hung off roof hanger to dry, bathroom is heated .

PXL_20230904_143827094.jpg

Our son, over six foot tall, sleeps happily on a diagonal, in the upper bed in our 600. Slightly shorter, I recently spent successive nights on the passenger seat, swivelled and fully reclined with my feet on the bench. We infilled the gap with luggage and cushions, and I slept well.
I've commented on the van before, and the only update at fifteen months of ownership, is that it remains well put together, an easier drive than our previous Euro 5 Ducato, love the fridge, the only issue being that a step is needed to access the rear bed which then blocks the bathroom door.
The convenience of any warranty and servicing being done by one company is a bonus - previously vehicle servicing and conversion issues were dealt with separately.

Like those Hymer van's.
Only very expensive for my taste.
I defenatly need a raise (or 2 for that matter)

Our son, over six foot tall, sleeps happily on a diagonal, in the upper bed in our 600. Slightly shorter, I recently spent successive nights on the passenger seat, swivelled and fully reclined with my feet on the bench. We infilled the gap with luggage and cushions, and I slept well.
I've commented on the van before, and the only update at fifteen months of ownership, is that it remains well put together, an easier drive than our previous Euro 5 Ducato, love the fridge, the only issue being that a step is needed to access the rear bed which then blocks the bathroom door.
The convenience of any warranty and servicing being done by one company is a bonus - previously vehicle servicing and conversion issues were dealt with separately.
I am sure you can sleep one up there, but I have two kids. The whole idea with a larger van for us is to have better space so kids can sleep when dad makes morning coffee. The Grand Californias cold weather emergency exit of the water tanks is not making me happy either.

I am sure you can sleep one up there, but I have two kids. The whole idea with a larger van for us is to have better space so kids can sleep when dad makes morning coffee. The Grand Californias cold weather emergency exit of the water tanks is not making me happy either.
Cab bunk for one kid?
The water tank frost protection is standard for 99% of caravans and motorhome, keep the van warm & it’s not a problem, certainly less of a problem than a frozen tank.

I am talking about it emptying when the outside temperature is too low, not the inside temperature even though tanks are inside in the warmth.

Some time ago I looked at a Globe traveller voyager X.
Once you get over the fact it's Fiat based in my opinion a great van or so I thought.
Well built, fully insulated and quality fittings.
For a high roof van it looked great.
However as with every hardtop I've looked at the roof bed was seriously
Compromised.
Impossible to enter, turn and lie down once one person was already sleeping.
Best family option is poptop purely because its useable. High Roof vans ok for small kids but not teens.
For cold weather Hymer supply insulated inner liner and electrically heated mattress pad.

I am talking about it emptying when the outside temperature is too low, not the inside temperature even though tanks are inside in the warmth.
The outside temperature doesn't matter, nor does the temperature of the tanks, the only thing (other than a split pipe due to freezing ) that causes the water to dump is the frost protection valve in the cupboard under the rear passenger seat.
For that valve to release the temperature inside that cupboard has to drop below about 6 degrees, keep that valve above that temperature & you won't have a problem.

Cab bunk for one kid?
The water tank frost protection is standard for 99% of caravans and motorhome, keep the van warm & it’s not a problem, certainly less of a problem than a frozen tank.
I dont understand the comment "Cab bunk for one kid?" We have two kids so we need a van that can sleep four adults. My kids tried the upper bed but they just cant sleep with half their legs outside of the bed.
This youtuber means his van is only going after the outside temperature when it comes to water protection, maybe he got it wrong?

I dont understand the comment "Cab bunk for one kid?" We have two kids so we need a van that can sleep four adults. My kids tried the upper bed but they just cant sleep with half their legs outside of the bed.
This youtuber means his van is only going after the outside temperature when it comes to water protection, maybe he got it wrong?
I meant get a cab bunk - google it, for one kid, & let the other have the roof bed.
We had a GC600 & it didn't work for us with just one teenager. If doing it again I would be thinking along the lines of how to build a bed using the turned passenger seat + the rear bench with some infill cushions.

That you tuber was after the shock content to get subscriber numbers up. It didn't stop him using the van for a number of trips in the snow.

No disrespect to anyone but seriously, having to use a cab bunk just about sums up the inadequate design of the 600.
Whereas the T series California is the gold standard in the small camper world the Grand 600 with roof bed is bottom of the class. A design that should of been the leader of the pack is compromised in so many areas, a van that lacks solar, battery capacity and off grid ability.
I loved my Cali and really wanted to love the 600 but the competition is better.

Sure but free s has a culboard upon the fridge

Having a lower fridge gives you more kitchen room. When cooking using two burners, sink cover needs to be up as heat will shatter glass. Having a flat top fridge is really handy mine's in constantly used.
I notice on the new GCS rear cubboard over barn doors is also deleted.

No disrespect to anyone but seriously, having to use a cab bunk just about sums up the inadequate design of the 600.
Whereas the T series California is the gold standard in the small camper world the Grand 600 with roof bed is bottom of the class. A design that should of been the leader of the pack is compromised in so many areas, a van that lacks solar, battery capacity and off grid ability.
I loved my Cali and really wanted to love the 600 but the competition is better.

So it might not suite you, but to me the GC 600 is possibly one of the best vans out there for 2 adults + two small children.
It only lacks solar if you didn't tick the option & even if you did further GC specific panels are available to make the most of the whole roof space.
Off grid ability - most people are not actually bothered about off grid ability, as long as the fridge works whilst you are out for the day or in transit thats all that matters.

Most mainstream new motorhomes have 1 leisure battery & no solar, it tends only to be those low volume targeted at the shall we say the more adventurous campers that have more.

Back