Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Coolbox problems

COAST22

COAST22

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi, I recently set and hooked up to the mains after a 5 hour drive. The Coolbox worked for 24 hours then the fridge turned itself off. It would not go back on. I checked the 12v socket and 12v power cable fuse - no problems. When I got home today the fridge worked on the 12v socket!!!

Am I mistaken about this? I thought once connected to 240v the fridge would run directly from this?

Any ideas/comments welcome.

John

Hi John,
I have a 2014 Beach with the cool box I am new to this so I can only give you my experience so far.
I was a little confused over the cool box. so this is what I have experienced so far
the cool box runs and cuts out when the battery gets to a certain level this prevents any damage to the battery.
it will not work again until the engine re-charges the battery or the battery is fully charged by the hook up.
after the battery is discharged the cooler will not work from the hook up even after a full night hooked up.
it only works again after the engine has started.
so my thinking was if you want to run the cool box on hook up you would need a transformer 240 to 12 volt and run the coll box from this when on hook up I am going to try this next.
just one other point I have found is it is very easy to switch the cool box from the cool setting to the warm setting and not realize you have done it. this has resulted in me having to barbecue 4 days worth of food and throw away all my salad gear plus the ribbing I had to take from my wife.

regards gear box oil

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I have used it on hookup in the past and it has worked for ten days without starting the engine. I think I will get VW to have a look and comment. If I get any useful info I will add it to the thread. Cheers, John

thanks John I will be interested to hear the dealer comments

Regards,
gear box oil

Doesn't the cool box work off 12dc? If so a 240vac to 12vac will not work, you will need a rectifying circuit to convert the 12vac to 12dc.
I may be wrong of course, but someone on this forum will know.

John

The cool box cuts out when the battery reaches a certain level.
You have two options.
Buy a mains powered plug in charge (maplins or RS)
Or a decent battery charger/conditioner.

Obviously you can only run these when on hook-up

Hi

I am now on my third VW Cool box they work for one trip then half way through a second just just doesn't keep anything cool still shows it being on.

It was my understanding that when on 230v hook up that the mains kept the second battery charged??

So using the 12v ports for the VW cool box should be no problem.

Any help would be good.

Shaun

Hi

Thanks all. I took the van to VW Liverpool today. Half a day later and still no answers. I have to book in again.....no courtesy vehicles available until 29/4 and they want the van for 2 days. Phoned VW customer services, no help.

Hi
I Had my Van in to VW van center Edinburgh for a service.
I asked them about the cool box not working on hook up they think it maybe the charger that is not working.
they have ordered a new charger but they will have to strip the trim out to access the unit. this may take a day or two due to the chargers location.
I cant get it back to them for a few weeks so I will report back on the findings after the job is done.

I have got to say the service was first class from these guys ok they could not solve the problem right away but they recognised there is a problem and are making every effort to sort it.

Had my van back to VW van center Edinburgh, they gave me a replacement van until they looked at the cool box issue.
They striped out the interior around the charger and found out that it was secured to the side of the van using sticky tape and had fallen off the wall and unplugged the charger.
They have glued the offending article to the wall of the van and the cool box is now working from the hook up.
Hopefully the charger will stay in place.
I am not sure if removing it in the future due to the glue may be a problem,
just have to wait and see if it gives any further problems.

Hi, I finally got the toolbox issue resolved but no answers as to how it was fixed. I now runs off the hookup no problem. The VW Van Centre at Liverpool reported they "took it all apart and put it back together". This was after reporting there was "nothing wrong with it". When I got the van back it had a damaged interior panel and scratched floor rails and the front passenger seatbelt was not bolted back in.The Van Centre have agreed to repair the damages but since April it has been into the dealer about 7 times, they have ordered the wrong parts 3 times and when the right part eventually came in this week I got a phone call to say they did not have some important clips and electrical wires that come with the side panel. Throughout I received a courtesy vehicle for the coolbox repair but they have never given me a vehicle on any other of the visits. VW UK Customer services have done nothing to useful to help as they can't make the dealer provide a courtesy car if one isn't available and if the parts are not in the UK then they can't do anything about that either. Bitterly disappointed. It's a shame as the salesman Chris was great throughout the purchase and handover its just a pity the after-sales there seems abysmal. Anyone know another good VW Centre in the North West?

I had the same problem but a 240 to 12v transformer did the trick. £15 in Halfords.

I FINALLY GOT THE COOLBOX REPLACED FOR A NEW ONE AS IT STARTED CONDENSING BY THE POWER ADAPTOR SOCKET. NEW ONE SEEMS TO BE WORKING BUT NOW ONLY HAS A 12 MONTH WARRANTY. IT HAS TAKEN OVER 6 MONTHS TO REMEDY. I AM NOW TRYING THE VW COMM VEHICLE CENTRE IN PRESTON - THEY SEEM MUCH MORE ORGANISED SO FAR.