Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery & fridge use

H

Hicup

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello,

2015 beach - I’m thinking of using my 3way fridge plugged into the rear 12v dc socket.

The fridge specification says it using 150 amps / 24 hour period. Also shows 75w 6.25 amp.

I’m not sure on the spec of the leisure battery, any ideas how long the fridge would last purely running of dc from the leisure battery?

Thanks!

6.25 x 24 = 150. So the fridge running at 6.25amps for 24 hours will consume 150 amps. The 75w 6.25 amps is the 12v usage. 75/12 = 6.25 (75w at 12v draws 6.25 amps). A leisure battery in good nick will be something of the order of 100amp. hours (could be anything between 95 and 120 amp.hours). So assuming the battery is fully charged and in good nick and you have nothing else running and the battery is 100amp.hours the run time should be 100/6.25 hours = 16.25 hours. At 75w that is quite a big fridge, a more normal sized fridge will be about 40w which would run for 30 ish hours. Of course these numbers assume continuous running which under normal conditions a refrigerator does not so the battery will last longer. How much longer will depend on the ambient temperature and the fridge setting.

Hello,

2015 beach - I’m thinking of using my 3way fridge plugged into the rear 12v dc socket.

The fridge specification says it using 150 amps / 24 hour period. Also shows 75w 6.25 amp.

I’m not sure on the spec of the leisure battery, any ideas how long the fridge would last purely running of dc from the leisure battery?

Thanks!
I presume your fridge is not a compressor fridge. Your Leisure Battery as fitted by VW is 75 amps. So, as you wouldn't want to damage the battery by running it down below 50% capacity, about 6 hrs.
These types of fridges are designed to run on gas or 240 volts when static and 12v when driving when the battery and engine alternator can cope with the power requirements.

What battery do you have in your Beach?
the 6.25A should be the maximum draw, not the average. I assume it’s a compressor fridge, so probably the average draw is less , maybe 2A depends on the size and temperature.
if you have a 75Ah battery, it may last 75/2/2... let say 1 day Max
but this is alot of assumptions

6.25 x 24 = 150. So the fridge running at 6.25amps for 24 hours will consume 150 amps. The 75w 6.25 amps is the 12v usage. 75/12 = 6.25 (75w at 12v draws 6.25 amps). A leisure battery in good nick will be something of the order of 100amp. hours (could be anything between 95 and 120 amp.hours). So assuming the battery is fully charged and in good nick and you have nothing else running and the battery is 100amp.hours the run time should be 100/6.25 hours = 16.25 hours. At 75w that is quite a big fridge, a more normal sized fridge will be about 40w which would run for 30 ish hours. Of course these numbers assume continuous running which under normal conditions a refrigerator does not so the battery will last longer. How much longer will depend on the ambient temperature and the fridge setting.
I forgot about not going below 50% capacity mentioned by Welsh Gas. So halve the numbers I gave, they are then close to the 6 hrs mentioned by Welsh Gas.

What battery do you have in your Beach?
the 6.25A should be the maximum draw, not the average. I assume it’s a compressor fridge, so probably the average draw is less , maybe 2A depends on the size and temperature.
if you have a 75Ah battery, it may last 75/2/2... let say 1 day Max
but this is alot of assumptions
I don't think it can be a compressor fridge otherwise why mention the current draw / 24 hrs.

Thank you very much for your replies!

I’m starting to get my head around the numbers.
I’m not exactly sure what a compressor fridge is? The model is quest supercool 45 egp and can run of gas/24/12v

Very interesting to hear that the leisure battery shouldn’t be drained below 50%, I guess there is no way of knowing what % you are at on the battery? Seems a bit difficult to judge?

Seems like it’s difficult to run this fridge off grid in a beach. Would have to put the fridge outside to run of gas - would then need some kind of shelter for it.

Hmmm will ponder my beach fridge usuage some more! Any ideas :)

Thank you very much for your replies!

I’m starting to get my head around the numbers.
I’m not exactly sure what a compressor fridge is? The model is quest supercool 45 egp and can run of gas/24/12v

Very interesting to hear that the leisure battery shouldn’t be drained below 50%, I guess there is no way of knowing what % you are at on the battery? Seems a bit difficult to judge?

Seems like it’s difficult to run this fridge off grid in a beach. Would have to put the fridge outside to run of gas - would then need some kind of shelter for it.

Hmmm will ponder my beach fridge usuage some more! Any ideas :)
The fridge you mentioned is an Absorption fridge not a Compressor fridge. They are cheaper. Run constantly and your Beach leisure battery will last 6 hrs when pitched up, not on hookup and with engine off.
A compressor fridge would cost 2 to 3 times as much and last upto 2 days not on hookup.

Our recently acquired Beach came with a huge Dometic 3 way absorption fridge (no idea where they put it). Quickly realised it wasn’t going to work for us so just bought a new Mobicool MCF-40 compressor fridge which fits perfectly and should prove very efficient. Ordered from Germany, arrived within a week for £300. The absorption fridge in now in the garage as a back up beer fridge!

Back