Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Coast: Would you consider one if available in the UK?

39 k for a Coast ... not sure where your shopping but I'll have ten please x

39 k for a Coast ... not sure where your shopping but I'll have ten please x

Base coast is 49,950 Euro which is coverted to GBP is £42,440 then a discount of say 8% brings it down to £39k so that is correct

I'd definitely consider one to get the manual roof. However at the moment I would be very wary of spending a lot on a diesel vehicle. I'm a fan of diesel but the diesel bashing situation is only going to get worse so I think I would unfortunately only consider annything now with a petrol engine.
No doubt petrol Calis will come at some stage now there are petrol T6 vans.

We were limited by our budget, that is why we purchased a Beach, if we could get a cut down version of the FF Cali for £40k we would certainly have purchased a Coast instead,

it will no matter as you said you would never have a VW on your drive again :Iamsorry

Just trying to clarify things for other people who might not be aware that the current UK VW warranty is 2 years with the factory and the 3rd year is underwritten by VW UK dealer network. Therefore a "grey import" would probably only have 2 years warranty.:thumb

The VW California Coast is bascially a cut down version of the Ocean, the main difference is it has a manual roof just like the Beach.

It still has a full Kitchen and cupboards just like the Ocean and choice of engines from 102ps up to 204ps 4Motion.

The other options that do not come as standard are:
Power latching tailgate
Power latching side door
Body Coloured Mirrors
Fog Lights
Aux Heater
Heated front seats

Also there is a choice of cupboard colour ( dark wood or white ) and choice of flooring ( std grey or wood effect)

So, if this was available in the UK in RHD would you consider it?

You are forgetting a important one....
Coast got no double glazing .

I went to a dealer here in Belgium last weekend and put one together.
59.000€ upgraded almost to the Ocean standard , alltough you won't get exact thesame.
Was not to generous on options , it was the 4motion petrol version i started with as i am playing with the idea getting rid of my 2012 SE diesel.

@briwy , petrol Cali's are availeble here....:D

Last edited:
Looking at the long lists of optional extras buyers add to Oceans in general I would doubt that there would be a viable market for offering the Coast with a full options list.

Now a basic keenly priced Coast with only a few options would probably attract the van conversion buyers. That probably wouldn't cause a major problem with VW Dealers blocking 'Grey Imports' of the Coast.

Warranty work from Dealers could have difficulties which would need clarifying before any marketing.

Current instability of the Pound against the Euro would possibly be a factor that could kill off the project.

That's all the cons I can think of currently.

Personally I opted for a UK Ocean rather than a Coast as having homes in France & UK made it possible. The Brexit was the main deciding factor as the £ took a 20% hit just as I was about to order.

So a Base Coast 204 DSG 4 Motion with Heater is £ 55,900 and a base Ocean, same engine is £57,440.

So £1,500 for Power Latching, Fog Lights, Heated Seats , colour coded mirrors and Hydraulic Roof.
Also there appear to be other differences that may not be available as cost options.

Based on the above the Coast seems overpriced compared with the Ocean, in the UK.

Just my personal opinion.

I believe the Coast also shares the air con from the Beach, not the Ocean's tri-zone climatronic. Plus if I recall correctly, It has a more basic stereo, 16" wheels and unpainted grille.
I'd have still considered one over the Ocean for the roof alone though.

Last edited:
Just spent 7 nights at parents camping on the drive with dogs and the van and auxiliary heater was on pretty much 24/7 - hard to imagine wanting a van without the heater now I've had it....

So, if this was available in the UK in RHD would you consider it?
No - the multi-functionality of the Beach is what we were after: Seven seat MPV, two seat van, four berth hotel. The four berth hotel being downgraded to a three berth hotel if the lower bed were just 114cm wide would be the deal breaker. ;)

@JonnieBoy ,
Climatronic is option all the models , it it thesame on Coast and Ocean.
Wheel size depends on type a Coast 4Motion has 17 , standaard the Ocean also has 16".
Stereo upgrade is always option

@JonnieBoy ,
Climatronic is option all the models , it it thesame on Coast and Ocean.
Wheel size depends on type a Coast 4Motion has 17 , standaard the Ocean also has 16".
Stereo upgrade is always option
Exactly, it is a cost option so the price differential gets less and less making a Coast equivalent to an Ocean ( except for the roof ) fairly expensive in comparison.

Exactly, it is a cost option so the price differential gets less and less making a Coast equivalent to an Ocean ( except for the roof ) fairly expensive in comparison.

But thats the main thing i consider a Coast ...
Don't need bigger and alloy wheels
Don't need soundsystems
Don't care if the front grill is just plastic and not painted

For me putting a Coast together with the things i find essential (afther owning a SE 4years i know what i talk about) would be simple and cheaper than a Ocean.
Unfortunatly i am not that rich to sell my SE and put up 20.000€ on top ....
If i could i would be ordering now!

But thats the main thing i consider a Coast ...
Don't need bigger and alloy wheels
Don't need soundsystems
Don't care if the front grill is just plastic and not painted

For me putting a Coast together with the things i find essential (afther owning a SE 4years i know what i talk about) would be simple and cheaper than a Ocean.
Unfortunatly i am not that rich to sell my SE and put up 20.000€ on top ....
If i could i would be ordering now!
I know what you are saying, but just adding the Parking Heater , Fog lights and Climatronic ( as I use mine all year round and in very hot climates ) wipes out virtually any cost savings compared to a base Ocean that comes with those additions and others.
Spec up a Ocean and trying to get close to the same with a Coast, where you can, seems to be more expensive. The price differential should be much greater than quoted for the base vehicles.

Second thought on this option.

A Coast list priced at £39.999 would keep the California ownership below the critical £40,000 VED crossover point for the higher charges making this IMO a potential sales winner.

Cost savings could also possibly be factored in by Buyer collecting from factory or mainland dealer.

Extras could be added by the owner after purchase

Last edited:
Second thought on this option.

A Coast list priced at £39.999 would keep the California ownership below the critical £40,000 VED crossover point for the higher charges making this IMO a potential sales winner.

Extras could be added by the owner after purchase
People are struggling to get a Beach for under £40k so not sure how you would get a Coast for that price.

That price is correct, this is from VW Ireland.

Base Coast is 50,325 Euro at todays rate that is coverted to £42,814, then dealer discount of 8% ( minus £3,425) leaves a balance of £39,389

Looks like we are being ripped off in UK?

coast-price-list.jpg

Base Coast is 50,325 Euro at todays rate that is coverted to £42,814, then dealer discount of 8% ( minus £3,425) leaves a balance of £39,389

View attachment 19176
Not if you compare like with like.
No 102HP Ocean available in U.K.

Something else you have not noticed.

VAT in Ireland is 23%, this will be removed before export so you will only pay the Ex VAT price of 42,024 Euro then when the vehicle enters the UK 20% VAT will be added meaning the figure Billy has quoted above can have another 3% removed from it !

People are comparing it with the Beach, not the Ocean, that is what this is based on.
:Iamsorry Just going by the original post. My mistake.

The VW California Coast is bascially a cut down version of the Ocean, the main difference is it has a manual roof just like the Beach.

It still has a full Kitchen and cupboards just like the Ocean and choice of engines from 102ps up to 204ps 4Motion.

The other options that do not come as standard are:
Power latching tailgate
Power latching side door
Body Coloured Mirrors
Fog Lights
Aux Heater
Heated front seats

Also there is a choice of cupboard colour ( dark wood or white ) and choice of flooring ( std grey or wood effect)

View attachment 19176
Have you a link to these prices Billy, the only VWcommercial.ie site I can find offers a 2011 T5 Cali brochure!

I was trying to make the point that you struggle to get a Cali for under the £40k road tax threshold. The Coast example you have given above will still be over the £40k LIST price which is what the higher road tax charges are based on, not any dealer discount price.

Last edited:
Back